Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tuscany - Advice pls

G

gatvol

Have been a few times by plane. we just adore this part of the world - the food, the weather, the scenery, the architecture .....

Am now considering taking the Cali there on a three week trip in mid June before the school hols

Is there a smart way to drive here pls ? Avoiding those nasty French tolls perhaps ?

As I am on the M62, does getting the Hull to Rotterdam/ Zebrugge ferry make sense ?

Put the Cali on a car transporter train in France ?

Thanks

We have just returned from a trip to Tuscany and Umbria. On both outward and inward journeys we travelled via Calais making use of toll roads in France and Italy primarily in order to reduce journey times and allow more time to enjoy back roads and sight-seeing in Italy.
Outward journey was via Strasbourg Basel and Zurich to the San Bernadino tunnel, Inward we took the Grand Saint Bernard tunnel from Aosta to Martigny then via Lausanne and Dijon to Calais.

I haven't got a clue but as we are currently planning our Europe trip for next year I'm hoping you get more replies

Did Italy last summer inc Tuscany, Rome, Pompeii, then Lake Garda. From Calais we drove down France to Dijon, Metz etc then dropped through Switzerland, around lake luzerne (stopped here for 4 nights) and out of the bottom into Italy. Then around Milan east to bologna before south to Florence where we stayed. On way back from Garda avoided tolls in France by going up through Luxemburg then Belgium. Did pop into Baveria before Luxemburg for overnight stop. Switzerland is the obvious choice and most direct route but if using motorways you need to have a vignette displayed. This is a toll and can be pre-purchased before you leave by post. They're about £35 ish for a years disc. They will check at the border. The Italian motorways are also tolls. The French autoroutes would cost about £50 one way. If you crossed to Zebrugge then I suggest Belgium would be the best and cheaper route.

gatvol said:
Have been a few times by plane. we just adore this part of the world - the food, the weather, the scenery, the architecture .....

Am now considering taking the Cali there on a three week trip in mid June before the school hols

Is there a smart way to drive here pls ? Avoiding those nasty French tolls perhaps ?

As I am on the M62, does getting the Hull to Rotterdam/ Zebrugge ferry make sense ?

Put the Cali on a car transporter train in France ?

Thanks

Interesting - I am doing a trip to Italy mid June also.
We could meet up and moan about blistered roofs amongst other things!
I just bought a Dover - Calais crossing as the Hull option looked pricey and mileage not so much less. Not planned an exact route yet but thru E France likely - easiest / fastest.

Simon

Back