Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 Week Family European Road Trip... Advice & Tips please :-)

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
For the first time we're going on a 3 week family (wife and I and two daughters 7&9) road trip in the California. We've simply got a ferry booked from Hull to Rotterdam and then Zebrugge back to Hull 3 weeks later. The plan is to use the ACSI Camping Card book and app to find campsites as we go as we want to be 'free'!! This is our biggest trip in the van to date.

First stop will be Kassel in Germany to see some family. Then we're planning on dropping down in Bavaria to the Lake Chiemsee. What are the rules for 'Wild Camping' in a VW in Germany?

From Bavaria we'd like to get down to the coast near Venice via Austria. How easy is it to drive through the Austrian mountains and again what are the wild camping rules? A friend mentioned a train that you can take a car on through the mountains. Has anyone used this?

Has anyone camped near Venice? Was it easy to get public transport in to see the sights?

From Venice we're going to go over to the Italian Lakes before stopping near Milan to see some friends.

What are the wild camping rules in Italy?

From the lakes its a brief stop in Milan to see friends. Can anyone recommend a good site near Milan?

Then on to Chamonix in France to meet other friends before working our way back up through France into Belgium.

France I've taken the van before so we also have All The Aires to help us find stopovers and I'm used to the French motorway tolls. How do these tolls compare with the other countries?

Finally, any advice on Wild Camping in Switzerland, Lichtenstein and Belgium please in case we get stuck.

The van has been serviced and is starting to be packed. We're on a mission to keep it simple and light so we can be nimble with our travelling. I'm hoping its a trip that we're all going to remember for lost of positive memories (but as we get close...I have to admit to being a little nervous too!)

Any advice for camping and travelling in the above countries including must take travel essentials will be appreciated.

Bring on the summer holidays!!

My advice (witch many will disagree ) is don't do this in july and/or august as you will be spending a lot of time in traffic jams at mountain passes and tunnels .

Very busy times during july in the south of europe and alpes region.

Free standing , wild camping as you all call it , is not beeing tolleraded a lot in Europe . There are however many free camper-aires (some charge a small fee) and lots of campsites in Holland , Germany , Italy and France.
Austria got not much free aires but does have some great campsites!
Belgium (no wild camping ) very few free aires , very few campsites , stay away from the Belgian coast in the summer ! Campers are banned almost in every town near the coast . Campers must park on the city borders spending the night on the street is forbidden.

My advice (witch many will disagree ) is don't do this in july and/or august as you will be spending a lot of time in traffic jams at mountain passes and tunnels .

Very busy times during july in the south of europe and alpes region.

Free standing , wild camping as you all call it , is not beeing tolleraded a lot in Europe . There are however many free camper-aires (some charge a small fee) and lots of campsites in Holland , Germany , Italy and France.
Austria got not much free aires but does have some great campsites!
Belgium (no wild camping ) very few free aires , very few campsites , stay away from the Belgian coast in the summer ! Campers are banned almost in every town near the coast . Campers must park on the city borders spending the night on the street is forbidden.
Hi HC unfortunately we're bound by school holidays so we do don't have a choice. Thanks for the advice about 'free standing' hopefully we'll find enough sites and won't have to resort to this.

Re. Venice we've stayed at Agriturismo Alba. Really nice mini site inland. We parked on Tronchetto Island car park and used the People Mover to get to Venice, which all worked really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....Venice , was a article in the news just recent that the locals are fed up with tourists , nice way to start the summerseason , guess the red carpet entrance is out of the question in that area!

Hello Aidy P and family
Unfortunately in Switzerland it is not allowed to camp "wild". Alghough there are a few spots where you can stay over night on a parking space for example in Walenstadt:
329e5ec9bd3244dc4e23b269d867bd3e.jpg

Up in the mountains there might be more spots to camp wild however it is not allowed where ever there's a sign "no camping" (Fines are pretty expensiv in Switzerland :( )

https://g.co/kgs/c1yZdD

We've stayed here a couple of times but not in the Cali, a massive site that maybe be fully booked in the height of summer hols but the kids would love the water park. Easy ferry into Venice from Punto Sabbioni.

....Venice , was a article in the news just recent that the locals are fed up with tourists , nice way to start the summerseason , guess the red carpet entrance is out of the question in that area!
Oh dear. Maybe my cute kids will sway them!!

Like another thread here today it's all about a positive attitude, trying to relax / not sweat the small stuff & your own family dynamic - some people just cannot cope with uncertainty (and I know from experience that younger kids benefit from routines) but to others this freedom is a small slice of 'adventure' & the payoff is always worth it. I've had more than my fair share of domestics staring at a map in a dark lay-by with nowhere to sleep & an unsatisfactory 'picnic' dinner, but we all survived.

If you've already driven in France in the van before then the rest of Europe is 99% the same with minor variations on tolling & speed limits which you've got time to read up on yourself. It's a given that anywhere scenic or touristy will be rammed during the school holidays, but that's life - no point buying a van and then sitting there watching it go rusty (slowly or otherwise ;)).

You've already got most of it mapped out in your head at least - if you have Zeebrugge, Kassel, Milan, Chamonix, Zeebrugge as the corners of your route (with an optional Venice) then you've got the rough plan & just need to sit down with your Mrs together in front of Google Maps to set your agreed preferences for how far you'd like to drive in a day vs how many 'rest days' you'd both like.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun, post pics.

Like another thread here today it's all about a positive attitude, trying to relax / not sweat the small stuff & your own family dynamic - some people just cannot cope with uncertainty (and I know from experience that younger kids benefit from routines) but to others this freedom is a small slice of 'adventure' & the payoff is always worth it. I've had more than my fair share of domestics staring at a map in a dark lay-by with nowhere to sleep & an unsatisfactory 'picnic' dinner, but we all survived.

If you've already driven in France in the van before then the rest of Europe is 99% the same with minor variations on tolling & speed limits which you've got time to read up on yourself. It's a given that anywhere scenic or touristy will be rammed during the school holidays, but that's life - no point buying a van and then sitting there watching it go rusty (slowly or otherwise ;)).

You've already got most of it mapped out in your head at least - if you have Zeebrugge, Kassel, Milan, Chamonix, Zeebrugge as the corners of your route (with an optional Venice) then you've got the rough plan & just need to sit down with your Mrs together in front of Google Maps to set your agreed preferences for how far you'd like to drive in a day vs how many 'rest days' you'd both like.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun, post pics.
Good advice @hirsty. I think my biggest worry is by 'keeping it free' i.e. not booking sites, we struggle to find them and my kids go mental...which in turn sends me over the edge ;) I've sold this trip to the family as an adventure...:thumb So it will be!!

You mentioned Chiemsee in the 1st post. Don't stay at the campsite just before Chiemzug on the east side. Awful.

I put a post on a previous post about doing the route but including Slovenia and Croatia - we had 5 weeks. Some of the itinerary might be useful. Especially coming back through Italy and Austria. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...a-italy-switzerland-france.15065/#post-219877

I would rather go to Konigsee than the Chiemsee - Chiemsee is just a big flat expanse of water. Konigsee is at least surrounded by the Alps and from the campsite we used there was a good walk along the stream up to the lake.

Also on the way down through Germany Rothenburg is worth a visit.

Driving through Austria if you go the Salzberg route is pretty easy. Coming back northwards of Venice is much more mountainous through the Dolomites - amazing scenery.

Good luck - don't try to do too much.

One last thing - there is an architect designed campsite near Venice - someone wrote about it here some time ago. We didn't use it - too many reviews mentioned the mosquitoes!!

Thanks for the tips @Bramco. Is it 'squeaky bum' driving through the Dolomites? I quite fancy that but the most difficult road I've driven (steep, narrow, big drops) was the Hard Knot Pass in Cumbria!! Still I've got 4Motion so it should be ok?!
You mentioned Chiemsee in the 1st post. Don't stay at the campsite just before Chiemzug on the east side. Awful.

I put a post on a previous post about doing the route but including Slovenia and Croatia - we had 5 weeks. Some of the itinerary might be useful. Especially coming back through Italy and Austria. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...a-italy-switzerland-france.15065/#post-219877

I would rather go to Konigsee than the Chiemsee - Chiemsee is just a big flat expanse of water. Konigsee is at least surrounded by the Alps and from the campsite we used there was a good walk along the stream up to the lake.

Also on the way down through Germany Rothenburg is worth a visit.

Driving through Austria if you go the Salzberg route is pretty easy. Coming back northwards of Venice is much more mountainous through the Dolomites - amazing scenery.

Good luck - don't try to do too much.

One last thing - there is an architect designed campsite near Venice - someone wrote about it here some time ago. We didn't use it - too many reviews mentioned the mosquitoes!!

Thanks for the tips @Bramco. Is it 'squeaky bum' driving through the Dolomites? I quite fancy that but the most difficult road I've driven (steep, narrow, big drops) was the Hard Knot Pass in Cumbria!! Still I've got 4Motion so it should be ok?!
Whether you enjoy the mountains or not depends on two things - how comfortable you are with the width of your Cali, and your head for heights. You will be very close to the edge of long drops in places.

We've just done the cape, west coast and interior of Corsica with no problems. Also came over the Splugen pass between Italy and Switzerland on the way home. That was a bit hairy as we had a kayak on the roof (2.6m) and suddenly came across 2.3m height limits 3/4 of the way up!!!! Fortunately this was referring to the height at 2.3m wide in arched tunnels and as long as we kept the kayak in the middle of the arch we were OK. Phew.

I love the passes but the thing you have to bear in mind is that they take a long time. Your average speed could be as low as 20mph. That's not really traffic - just the nature of the road.

Whether you enjoy the mountains or not depends on two things - how comfortable you are with the width of your Cali, and your head for heights. You will be very close to the edge of long drops in places.

We've just done the cape, west coast and interior of Corsica with no problems. Also came over the Splugen pass between Italy and Switzerland on the way home. That was a bit hairy as we had a kayak on the roof (2.6m) and suddenly came across 2.3m height limits 3/4 of the way up!!!! Fortunately this was referring to the height at 2.3m wide in arched tunnels and as long as we kept the kayak in the middle of the arch we were OK. Phew.

I love the passes but the thing you have to bear in mind is that they take a long time. Your average speed could be as low as 20mph. That's not really traffic - just the nature of the road.
I'm used to driving on country lanes. Th eonly mountain driving of this type was in a diesel Vauxhall Vectra Estate hire care North of Riva Del Garda. That was hairy!!

Is it 'squeaky bum' driving through the Dolomites? I quite fancy that but the most difficult road I've driven (steep, narrow, big drops) was the Hard Knot Pass in Cumbria!! Still I've got 4Motion so it should be ok?!
Not so much the Dolomites - just amazing scenery. But the GrossGlockner had some moments - I'm not too keen on heights and had to concentrate on the road on some sections.

Here's a couple of photosIMG_20170603_164704241_HDR.jpg from up there.

IMG_20170603_160111217_HDR.jpg

How long did it take to drive the 48km @Bramco? I've had a look online and there are stop interesting stops (& playgrounds for the kids)
Not so much the Dolomites - just amazing scenery. But the GrossGlockner had some moments - I'm not too keen on heights and had to concentrate on the road on some sections.

Here's a couple of photosView attachment 23461 from up there.

View attachment 23460

For the first time we're going on a 3 week family (wife and I and two daughters 7&9) road trip in the California. We've simply got a ferry booked from Hull to Rotterdam and then Zebrugge back to Hull 3 weeks later. The plan is to use the ACSI Camping Card book and app to find campsites as we go as we want to be 'free'!! This is our biggest trip in the van to date.

First stop will be Kassel in Germany to see some family. Then we're planning on dropping down in Bavaria to the Lake Chiemsee. What are the rules for 'Wild Camping' in a VW in Germany?

From Bavaria we'd like to get down to the coast near Venice via Austria. How easy is it to drive through the Austrian mountains and again what are the wild camping rules? A friend mentioned a train that you can take a car on through the mountains. Has anyone used this?

Has anyone camped near Venice? Was it easy to get public transport in to see the sights?

From Venice we're going to go over to the Italian Lakes before stopping near Milan to see some friends.

What are the wild camping rules in Italy?

From the lakes its a brief stop in Milan to see friends. Can anyone recommend a good site near Milan?

Then on to Chamonix in France to meet other friends before working our way back up through France into Belgium.

France I've taken the van before so we also have All The Aires to help us find stopovers and I'm used to the French motorway tolls. How do these tolls compare with the other countries?

Finally, any advice on Wild Camping in Switzerland, Lichtenstein and Belgium please in case we get stuck.

The van has been serviced and is starting to be packed. We're on a mission to keep it simple and light so we can be nimble with our travelling. I'm hoping its a trip that we're all going to remember for lost of positive memories (but as we get close...I have to admit to being a little nervous too!)

Any advice for camping and travelling in the above countries including must take travel essentials will be appreciated.

Bring on the summer holidays!!

Hi Aidy P,
We are planning almost the same three week 'adventure' with the same degree of flexibility (subtext: no campsites booked!) but in the other direction and crossing from Dover to Calais or Dunkirk. Like you, we've done the French bit before but not the mountain passes etc but intend to take in theItalian lakes with Venice as a furthest point on our trip too with mountain pass routes from Italy to Austria and Switzerland. I will try to consolidate my research to date and share it with you incase there is anything we can learn from each other or others with experience of this type of trip. One big change is that we are going to have to take less stuff than we do on an average weekend at the beach ... or I will spent much of the three weeks packing and unpacking stuff!

Cheers
Ian

Agreed Ian, the key to my Cali happiness:

"Simplify and add lightness"
- Colin Chapman

Ha ha. Yes. I'm just about packed. The only thing to go on the back shelf will be our clothes bags and pillows. Everything else is in. I'm determined to be able to be able to get the beds ready with four of inside the van if needed without decanting everything!!

Hi, not at all a wild camping suggestion, but if you're passing back through Belgium you could try stopping in Dinant. (home of Adolph Sax - the inventor of the saxophone!) There are some sites along the riverside and you can spend a morning/afternoon kayaking (2 or 3 companies renting kayaks for this purpose). This site, for example (http://www.campingdelalesse.be/) is within walking distance from the start of the kayak run and once you get down to the end you can take the train back up to the start...
Don't expect white water, and on a nice day it can be crowded, but can be a nice time "messing about on the river"... The kids should enjoy it for sure... Not tried this particular site myself, but have 'sailed' past it, looked ok from the riverside ;)
Anyway, just a thought...
Have a great trip, sounds amazing!

Well we're off. Thanks for all the advice. I'm currently on the ferry sun deck having the first 'holiday beer' of the trip.

:thumb

IMG_8489.JPG