Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to Asia in your Cali

Celia and Edward

Celia and Edward

VIP Member
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Would anyone be interested in forming a convoy of California’s to travel to Shanghai in China. It would require at least four vans to make the journey. The idea is to travel across France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Krygyzstan and China on the following route:

London, Antwerp, Hanover, Berlin, Poznan, Lodz, Lublin, Kiev, Poltava, Volgograd. Atyrau, Bukhara, Samarkand, Tashkent, Taraz, Bishkek, Almaty, Zharkent. Urumqi, Kumul, Wuwei, Lanzhou, Xian, Nanyang, Shanghai. There are lots of other places in between these cities and towns.

The distance is in the region of 7300 miles and at 500 miles a day, would take 15 days. The return journey would go North through Mongolia (Ulaannaatar) Russia (Novosibirsk, Omks, Kazan, Moscow) and back through Middle and Western Europe and may be a day or two shorter. In any event some 30 days in total on the road.

I estimate the cost in petrol would be in the region of £3300 and cost of living during the journey around another £3200 (per couple) plus a contingency for visas and travel incidentals, perhaps another £2000. In total around £8500.

It’s a long journey across some strange areas, and I would think for security a group of eight people, in four vans, would get by pretty well. The route is not set in stone, but could be interesting. Some exciting places to visit and perhaps some interesting campsites along the way. Some sponsorship could be sought to raise funds for charity (I’m thinking MacMillan Cancer Research) and a video diary made and published, all sorts of possibilities exist.
Please let me know -

My little brother drove through a bunch of 'stans on his way to the Mongolian border earlier this year (Google 'three unwise men' for their blog)
I'm sure he would be happy to share details re border crossings etc, should your plans start firming up!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yes

I would be very interested....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This route is on my bucket list but not for this year! Any idea how long the trip is envisaged to take.... of course could be a whole lot longer.....

Interested,

Martin :goodone

Great plan, have been dreaming of it... And have read several journals of people who have done such trips. Know people who have just returned, and some who are underway right now.

Have you read any travel blogs or so of people who have done this? I think a reality check is needed re. average mileage per day... 500 miles as a day average is a bit optimistic....

This is a trip that we would consider in a 2 or 3 years time, can't give up the time needed until then though.
I have to agree with the above post, I think you'd need to reconsider how many miles a day you could realistically drive. We've just done a 21 day road trip through Europe down into Croatia in September just gone. I didn't drive every day but found that I had over estimated how many miles I could drive in a day. :eek:

Don't you need a Chinese driving licence to drive in China?

snowy55 said:
Don't you need a Chinese driving licence to drive in China?

Yes, you need to pass a Chinese driving test to drive in china as they do not allow international driving licenses to be used, i dread to think the consequences if caught :shocked

Hi what a fantastic idea. I'll discuss with the other half.
I do think your timescale rather optimistic though.

rob + eileen

Also you can't take/import vehicles into China.
500 miles a day is impossible outside western Europe.
Google Manchester to John o Groats 500 miles 10 hours, that's on tarmac roads, try that on unsealed roads-impossible for 30 consecutive days.
My advice to people, don't get involved with this ill thought out trip.
Unless the proposers are Chinese nationals.

snowy55 said:
My advice to people, don't get involved with this ill thought out trip.

That is probably too rash a conclusion... I know people who have done a like trip, and who are on their way right now. It is doable.

But I grant you it needs a lot of preparation, and you need a lot more time. There will be days where you will be happy to do 30 miles only, there will be instances where you will have to wait 3 days at a border to have your vehicle cleared, etc. One can find enough travel logs for trips like the on the net.

And we would be hesitating to take a T5 on such a trip... Too much electronics that no one in Kirghizistan or the like, nor yourself, will be able to repair when it breaks down. Sooner an old fashioned T4 or T3 syncro: that is technology that is a lot more easily repaired when it breaks down...

Knowing Celia and Edward I am sure they will have done their homework on this

There is good information Web wide on the Paris to Peking Rally.
Friends have completed it twice in Vintage Bentleys. Should be possible in a California.

rob

robo said:
Friends have completed it twice in Vintage Bentleys. Should be possible in a California.

rob
Quick look at the website suggests that's a supported rally with guides and back up support.
They take a month to do one way, not a month there and back.

Thank you all who have responded - very helpful information - and yes more research required. My initial proposal was to explore the possibilities that people might be interested in such a journey. Clearly there are a few out there. As to the practicalities of visas, driving permits, mechanics, engineering etc..(as well as obtaining sponsorship to raise funds for cancer research) much more thinking is envisaged. Contacting and obtaining information from others who have "been there'' is also a necessary endeavour and thank you for the information in that regard. I shall do more homework and come back with a more detailed proposal. The journey is, as far as I can tell, across tarmac or paved roads.In any event they are all numbered, and yes, it appears China is the big problem; however, nothing is insurmountable. At least it's good to know that there are a few of you willing to contemplate the journey, therefore, more of this anon and thank you all again for the advice.

snowy55 said:
robo said:

rob
Quick look at the website suggests that's a supported rally with guides and back up support.
They take a month to do one way, not a month there and back.
People who were on the off road driving course with us (see elsewhere on this forum) have just returned from the Mongol Rally. It took them 6 weeks to Mongolia, and they skipped China.

From their travel blog: the crossing into Turkmenistan: several hours and 6 offices to visit together with a pre-arranged guide to get documents, some of which they still don't understand what they were for... :D

08042014_04-300x225.jpg

I have just looked at the blog for "Three Unwise Men" - fantastic journey and follows much the same route I had envisaged. Three young men in an old Vauxhall Astra on a journey of a lifetime. I cannot see why it can't be done in more comfort and in a more reliable California Campervan by a few more elderly travellers. They had three breakdowns - two flat tyres and a bashed sump problem - over a course of some 20,000 miles in 112 days. Go to: http://3unwisemen.wordpress.com
Again, more of this anon - on reflection, one may have to avoid China driving.

Firstly trade the California in for a Unimog camper conversion :D and watch the long way round to see the type of roads you will be driving from Ulaanbaatar to Novosibirsk.

Hiya yes I would be interested if it took a bit longer500 miles per day probably nit feasible
DSG1804WD 2014 grey with shower tent, I sect screens and other odds and sods

Great idea,would be a great adventure, people go to mongolia rally every year in a 1 litre 10 year old hatchback drive through the stans and sleep in tents don't see why a cali couldn't do it with ease

I would have no fears undertaking that trip in a Cali.

Goodness, Columbus had no back up crew, his was only a hire vehicle and the Santa Maria probably had roof rot on it's cabin lid and rudder knock but it still got there.

It's great to see the spirit of endeavour and adventure is still alive and well, it's what a Cali is made for.

Possible for 2016 but sadly impossible for me to join anything like that in 2015.

Celia and Edward said:
Thank you all who have responded - very helpful information - and yes more research required. My initial proposal was to explore the possibilities that people might be interested in such a journey. Clearly there are a few out there. As to the practicalities of visas, driving permits, mechanics, engineering etc..(as well as obtaining sponsorship to raise funds for cancer research) much more thinking is envisaged. Contacting and obtaining information from others who have "been there'' is also a necessary endeavour and thank you for the information in that regard. I shall do more homework and come back with a more detailed proposal. The journey is, as far as I can tell, across tarmac or paved roads.In any event they are all numbered, and yes, it appears China is the big problem; however, nothing is insurmountable. At least it's good to know that there are a few of you willing to contemplate the journey, therefore, more of this anon and thank you all again for the advice.

We would also consider, keep me posted :D

Having spent a few years driving a truck to Iran, I would advise long and hard thought before undertaking such a journey .
I did it to earn a living,I don't think your Cali will be much good when (or if it returns).

500 miles a day is the stuff of fairy stories, be prepared to do zero miles some days, for all sorts of reasons.

An hour ago I spoke to a 2013 T5 owner who's alternator packed up today. "Can't get an alternator until Tuesday" he was told, that's in uk.!

You will have more chance of having a T5 knicked than having it repaired.

You would have more fun going to Scandinavia.