Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tomtom Campervan Edition

I suppose if you're spending a bomb on a van then £350 isn't too much for a stanav. But is a Cali really such an unusual size that it warrants one of these? We've just been looking at satnavs and it seems we'll go for a tomtom, would love to hear user comments before we buy.

Personally I would never buy a TT after sales is non-existant.
Have had several Garmins & have rung Garmin UK several times & spoken to a techie who has talked me out of a situation. That is sort of customer service I want.

Try a Garmin Nuvi 1490TV, I use one for my European trips, haven't come unstuck with it yet. Now comes with lifetime map updates.

PLUS it doubles up as a television, useful for the occasional news/weather reports.

Also have Garmin mapsource on the PC so I can plan the exact routes before I go rather than relying on the units own calculated route.

Hubert

I'm pretty happy with the TomTom iPhone app. All of Europe for £60 (at the time). The app gets reasonably regular updates (including free map updates), and once you've bought it for one iDevice it works on any others you have (though their Traffic subscription is per-device). The app's not perfect, but it's pretty good. And I definitely prefer using the hardware of my smartphone rather than buying a separate device - and that way I've always got it with me.

One thought we've had is to use a Garmin Montana as a satnav, and as a hand-held GPS for walking as you seem to be able to get French 1:25,000 map coverage as well as the offered UK 1:50,000 full coverage. Would be interested to know if anyone else has gone down this route (not necessarily with that particular model). Think they can cover walking-type maps for other EU countries too.

I have a TomTom Go 720 with European maps. Had it probably about 4 years now, its agood bit of kit although I havent used it thta much in Europe. It has bluetooth so you could use it as a mobile phone device in the car, although you need to be reasonably close to the unit to have a decent conversation with anyone.

It gets the regular TT updates but I have never bothered with buying the map upgrades, so it suffers a little as a result.

I also think the inbuilt software is pre-programmed to calculate the most irregular and unusual routes to 'standard' destinations if you dont regularly update the maps :roll: I've noticed a lot recently that its taken me on some pretty strange routes to get to 'normal' places and it seems to like going along very small narrow lanes instead of normal roads!! I've chceked all the settings but it keeps doing it!!!

Its overdue either a map update or replacement, and since a satnav for my motorbike might be handy I may well upgrade shortly.

I have a Garmin Zumo that gets shared between my vehicles Inc a motorcycle which it is mainly designed for and is a brilliant bit of kit.

I've also got a GPSMAP 62s which is great on a bicycle and walking.

been searching for a suitable tv for the cali ,and last week finally plunged for a "Garmin Nuvi 2585TV 5" Sat Nav with TV and Europe Maps" .Have only used it for a tv so far but really pleased.although it only has a 5 inch screen i was suprised by how easy it is to watch and by the quality of the picture,plenty big enough for general viewing and the sound also good.
Handy also to use the suction bracket to fix it to a side window to view. it comes with 2 small aerials which i have just dangled outside or put on the roof and so far so good.

of around europe for a fortnight so will review the satnav when i return

dave and lisa

I have wondered a few times when getting to very remote campsites how an Earth a motorhome would cope - they are mostly horrendous on country lanes!

When it's really tight for a T5, what must it be like for a massive Hymer/Winnebago?!

Back