Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To swivel or not to swivel

Sorry re-activating the thread. Just looked at our first LHD Ocean MY23 6.1 (we live in Germany). Looks like it has the "non-swivel" option with height-adjustment that I assume is the comfort option.

I am torn as other half loves the idea of a height-adjustment seat but I like the swivel option (current mobile home we are in has both). She is 5ft 4inch and I am 6ft and we often have different height positions in our SUV currently so the idea of height adjustment is appealing.

Reading the thread the consensus seems to be towards swivel but not sure on this whole height-adjustment. Might need to go and look at a Cali with swivel and see how it feels and if its really needed and better to have both swivelling. As not many in our area we would have to drive to test it (or rent one).

Maybe you guys have experience and can help with our decision.

Cheers,

Stu

Swivel is more sociable, can face one another when eating, playing games etc…rather than sitting in a line.

Sorry re-activating the thread. Just looked at our first LHD Ocean MY23 6.1 (we live in Germany). Looks like it has the "non-swivel" option with height-adjustment that I assume is the comfort option.

I am torn as other half loves the idea of a height-adjustment seat but I like the swivel option (current mobile home we are in has both). She is 5ft 4inch and I am 6ft and we often have different height positions in our SUV currently so the idea of height adjustment is appealing.

Reading the thread the consensus seems to be towards swivel but not sure on this whole height-adjustment. Might need to go and look at a Cali with swivel and see how it feels and if its really needed and better to have both swivelling. As not many in our area we would have to drive to test it (or rent one).

Cheers,

Stu

Didn’t they discontinue the non swivel options on the T6.1?

Either way there is a way to get them to swivel

Cheers,

Stu
On a LHD non-swivel driver seat is a little easier to justify as the cabinetry is behind it. That said rotating both front seats gives the cabin a more airy feel. Get your other half an orthopaedic cushion and that will raise her a couple of cm's. The Cali's seating design is remarkably versatile for a wide range of heights. I'm 5'7" and don't have any problems getting comfortable.

Cheers,

Stu

I misread and assumed you’d already brought one.

I’d say get the swivelling ones! Camping isn’t the same without it

Cheers,

Stu
Stu, if you can get a TUV approved aftermarket swivel I would go for a non-swivel on the new vehicle and fit an aftermarket one later. Here in the UK I did order a van with a factory swivel previously but didn't like it. In those days it was not possible to swivel the OEM seat without opening the door where using a Sportscraft swivel it is possible and you can retain the height adjustment. That was a T5, maybe later T6s etc are different. Admittedly the lowest position is obviously raised a little by the depth of the swivel mechanism.
I have purchased Sportscraft swivels from here, the blurb says they are TUV approved but obviously check first. The supplied hand brake lowering kit does work but is not to my liking so I have had the handbrake bracket lowered on the seat base however this again may need TUV approval in Germany.
The caveat with using an after market swivel is that the seats must be raised on the adjustment a bit to allow them to swivel.

Maybe that is food for thought.

Cheers,

Stu
My wife is just under 5ft tall and I’m just under 6ft tall - we have swivel seats with no height adjustment in a California beach and driving position for both of us is very good even without height adjustment. The swivel is valuable for that extra space when the lower bed is down without having to step out of the van. Also nice when more than 2 in the van that you can all face each other.

Thanks all for the quick replies. Good to know that the height adjustment is probably not needed and as mentioned i would prefer the swivel - especially as we have it today in our current van. I must admit we tend to not sit in it but it is good when we have 4 in the van (not sure how often that happens).

Just re-looked at vans available over here and it is weird as it seems all 4motion we are finding have the non-swivel option. Need to keep digging.

Actually think we will rent a 150bhp FWD one this week for a test - especially as we have 2 labradors and some other things we want to test along with the seat.

Thanks and will feedback as no doubt will help others like me who find this thread.

All exciting ;)

Cheers,

Thanks @rod_vw for the link and maybe that is the way we need to go if we are forced into a non-swivel. Will check them out and good to know there is options.

Love this forum :) Thanks.

Thanks @rod_vw for the link and maybe that is the way we need to go if we are forced into a non-swivel. Will check them out and good to know there is options.

Love this forum :) Thanks.
Will your wife be driving?
I think the non-swivel seats are slightly higher than the swivel seats on their lowest settings.
Also swivel seats, when turned, will be ideal for the dogs if they'll give up the bench seat.

Will your wife be driving?
I think the non-swivel seats are slightly higher than the swivel seats on their lowest settings.
Also swivel seats, when turned, will be ideal for the dogs if they'll give up the bench seat.

Yes WG - I will do the majority though but as it will be our daily driver and i have a company car we both can use we will share it.

It is a good point and now thinking of the space when the lower bed is down with the seat not turned. I think i will try and test this weekend and bite the bullet and test the configurations out. I think our boys love the sofa so most likely will be on the bench, meaning the swivel chairs become more critical.

If asymmetry doesn't ruin your sense of order, It should be possible to buy a swivel seat to exchange the right (passenger in your case) seat and keep the height adjusting one for the driver. I typically don't swivel the left side seat anyways because of the kitchen unit being in the way.

If asymmetry doesn't ruin your sense of order, It should be possible to buy a swivel seat to exchange the right (passenger in your case) seat and keep the height adjusting one for the driver. I typically don't swivel the left side seat anyways because of the kitchen unit being in the way.

Does it affect the space when the lower bed is out? We were discussing whether we would use it for extra space for bags etc. Yeah that what has me torn. As a LHD, drivers seat sits behind the kitchen and passenger is on the right and would be turned and used. Typically there is two of us (and 2 dogs) so it "should work" but i think i just need to sit it and play around and see if its something that would bother.

Or keep looking for the swivel option :)

Does it affect the space when the lower bed is out? We were discussing whether we would use it for extra space for bags etc. Yeah that what has me torn. As a LHD, drivers seat sits behind the kitchen and passenger is on the right and would be turned and used. Typically there is two of us (and 2 dogs) so it "should work" but i think i just need to sit it and play around and see if its something that would bother.

Have the 2 of you sit on both versions. Only then will you know if the ergonomics suit one option or the other. If the differences are negligible go for the swivel. I'm always a bit concerned with aftermarket solutions that they might wear differently and lead to some annoying play when braking etc.

This is a mirror image of my conversion with Sportscraft swivels albeit in a LWB high roof camper but you will get the idea of how they look. If you need the height of the seat squab measuring at its lowest level drop me a message. The complete camper looks like this, it's built on a 2016 Highline LWB Kombi.

1700649128886.png

Have the 2 of you sit on both versions. Only then will you know if the ergonomics suit one option or the other. If the differences are negligible go for the swivel. I'm always a bit concerned with aftermarket solutions that they might wear differently and lead to some annoying play when braking etc.
So we have now booked a rental for the weekend - Sat to Monday to test out swivel and non-swivel and how it would look.

Also get to test out dog positions, how the 150bhp drives and take other measurements we need before deciding. A few days camping on the drive should gives us an idea, even if its the 150bhp and not the 204bhp 4-motion.

As you said, at least we can test both options :)

This is a mirror image of my conversion with Sportscraft swivels albeit in a LWB high roof camper but you will get the idea of how they look. If you need the height of the seat squab measuring at its lowest level drop me a message. The complete camper looks like this, it's built on a 2016 Highline LWB Kombi.

View attachment 116628
Cheers and will message and thanks fir the image. Gives us a good idea.

Strange though as looking at all 4-motions in LHD configuration with the bigger engine all seem to have the non-swivel option. Cannot find ones without.

Also the price is considerably cheaper than list price so tempting.

Strange though as looking at all 4-motions in LHD configuration with the bigger engine all seem to have the non-swivel option. Cannot find ones without.

Are you 100% sure they don’t swivel?

Pretty sure they stopped the sale of tbis for the UK market at least

I can't really think of not having swivel seats. We basically rotate them every time we stop for camping/food etc.
If I was looking at the 2nd hand market, I'd discard non-swivels immediately

My Coast 204 4Mo has 2 swivel seats. Delivered Jan 2023. I checked the German configurator and at a certain point it guides you to dealer offerings. I wonder if these are allocated slots and new orders are no longer possible once these assigned factory slots are gone.

Are you 100% sure they don’t swivel?

Pretty sure they stopped the sale of tbis for the UK market at least
Dealer said it was a non-swivel and also states in the dealer spec - same for all the other LHD 4-motions we have seen so far.

Back