Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To swivel or not to swivel

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Making final decisions on t6 beach build.
Now am stuck with deciding if I want more comfortable driver seat or have an ability to swivel it.
I see lots of people don't even turn the driver seat cos of different modifications behind the seat.
Anybody tested both seats comfort wise? Did you ever need to turn the driver seat badly?
Only had a possibility to test normal non-swivel seats so far. And can't tell which fixed height the swivel one will have. (I assume the top position?)
Too bad can't order electric one for the Beach version :(

Maybe personal, but we swivel both sets all the time when camping... only 2 of us but creates more space and obviously seating area.... the standard seat is comfortable enough for me, must be heated of course. ... Paul

For me personally, swivel.

Sat in the habitation area looking at two seat backs can be quite claustrophobic whereas a quick twirl and there seems to be twice as much room.

Also it's quite nice to make the bed up, if sleeping downstairs, and then sit in a comfy seat and relax listening to music and having that one last nightcap...***

*** of cocoa, naturally ...

must be heated of course. ... Paul
Was just looking at that option. :)
Why of course?
We have heating in our CR-V with leather seats. My wife so hates it when I turn it on for her )
We noticed we use it so rarely and it is 400euros.
Then again we might use it more than differential lock, which I'm still not sure about adding.

We always swivel both seats. In a LHD SE or Ocean I could see the reason not to have the drivers seat swivelling. The kitchen does get in the way a little with our passenger seat swivelled. Having said that - it's always that seat I choose first.

Can't imagine not being able to swivel both.
Love the heated seat after a long walk in the cold or on. Old frosty mornings.

If you can't swivel the seats it might be a deal breaker for resale if the potential purchaser wants to sleep more than 2? Are You sure you won't go away with mates children or grandchildren?!

Just confused with comfort non-swivel seat option. There is no way to test rotating California ones but only comfort ones in multivan. Afraid swivel might not be that comfort for long rides. And I'm pretty high and might need to sit lower.
As for heating we are taking a heater with remote control. So might be even better to seat into a fully warmed van after a long cold walk :)
So far I see too many votes for swivel. Thank you for your suggestions guys )

I can only speak for my T5, the swivel seat is fine for long journeys for me. I'm 6' and don't have any issues.

Happily we are LHD so don't need to swivel the driver's seat.
But we always swivel the passenger (RH) seat, for eating & just for conviviality & couldn't think of not having that facility.
We would really have liked to have the option of swivelling RH seat plus height-adjusting LH seat but that was not available.
In 53000km, the fixed-height seat has not been a significant problem, even though wife & I are very different sizes!

So our vote - go swivel!

I have a T5 SE, so there was no choice in the UK. There was no fancy seat available, so we all got heating and swivel.

But I think if I had to chose I would go with Swivel over heating or height adjust.

I didn't think there was an option to have just the passenger seat swivel. From what it said on the price list, it looked like both swivel or both comfort?

I was worried about the comfort of the standard seat too and being tall, I thought the lack of height adjustability would be an issue. I even went back to the dealer to sit in them a second time and I found the the standard ones very comfortable and at a good height.

I've gone for the swivel.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever buy a California without the swivel seats, resale value would be way lower I expect too.

If you go and sit in one, swivel both seats around and sit in the vehicle, it changes the whole dynamic of the space.

I suppose you could get an aftermarket swivel fitted!

Most people will spend longer sitting in the seat whist driving than when swivelled so I think it's important to make sure you're comfortable. I personally find the swivel seats comfortable but everyone is different.

If I was buying a used van I wouldn't care if only the passenger seat swivelled. There are only 3 of us and whenever I've hired one, I've used the drivers seat as "storage" (a messy pile of spare pillows, blankets and coats)

We had aftermarket swivels fitted to our VW Kombi which had height adjustment, be honest I thought I would miss it but it is one less adjustment to get right and not having height adjustment has not been a problem.

Most people will spend longer sitting in the seat whist driving than when swivelled so I think it's important to make sure you're comfortable. I personally find the swivel seats comfortable but everyone is different.

If I was buying a used van I wouldn't care if only the passenger seat swivelled. There are only 3 of us and whenever I've hired one, I've used the drivers seat as "storage" (a messy pile of spare pillows, blankets and coats)

Ahh, so in the T6 is it *just* the drivers seat that won't swivel or both?

I made a promise to myself a few years ago that my next car would have a memory function for seat positions. My wife and I swap and change which car each of us takes for work depending on who is travelling the furthest. Therefore adjusting seat position and trying to get the same position is at least a weekly event and often a daily one.
When I saw the memory function option as part of the comfort seat on the Cali it was added to the option list straight away, when it came to ordering the cal the dealer found out that the comfort seat option was not compatible with the swivel function I reluctantly removed the comfort seats off the order but I also had no doubt that it was the right thing to do for us as camping convenience is our priority.
Between my own limited experience so far and that of other members (and info on other threads) I am quickly learning that most aspects of owning and using a Cali involves some form of compromise and I am sure it is part of the charm and goes with the freedom this lifestyle choice gives.

I dreaded swivelling the Cali drivers seat. Took me ages to get the process right but also like Johnny I just hate it when my "just right" driving position gets all messed up.

Now though it barely registers. Out of the seat, steering wheel dropped and pushed right in, seat slid forward, seat back folded forward, swivel, adjust to suit... reverse procedure in the morning.

My other big surprise has been just how comfortable the cali seats are for long distance. I never get back ache, I can drive for hours, and never feel uncomfortable. In fact the Cali is our vehicle for choice for long distance. The BMW stays at home.

I never move the steering wheel when I swivel my seat.
I put feint pencil lines on the grey plastic trim to help get the seat into the correct position.

I never move the steering wheel when I swivel my seat.
I put feint pencil lines on the grey plastic trim to help get the seat into the correct position.
Good idea - now where's that pencil!

Swivel...always....one of the best things about the Cali is the ability to easily swivel drivers seat (many conversions don't we found).....

Good idea - now where's that pencil!
We use two strips of duct tape to mark the position, ss suggested on here. The grey blends in better.

+1 for swivelling only the passenger seat (but

Regarding the diff lock, I did loads of reading before adding that option, but to summarise all that, basically the day you need it and you didn't get it, you're going to be cursing yourself ;) This is a one time purchase (for me anyway), I wanted it to be as good as possible so the diff lock went on!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back