Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule EasyFold XT 3 - Does it tilt far enough

I went with the Atera Genio pro after having the Thule easyfold XT 2 and trying the Thule EPOS and not being able to open the tailgat.

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0918.jpeg

I have the XT3 and factory fitted tow bar and no issues with clearance once the adjustment has been made to the XT3. I also use the Thule Backspace and this combo is excellent for some additional space. You just have to remember the weight limit when packing.

I have the XT3 and factory fitted tow bar and no issues with clearance once the adjustment has been made to the XT3. I also use the Thule Backspace and this combo is excellent for some additional space. You just have to remember the weight limit when packing.
This. Absolutely brilliant combo, but very limited on what you can put in the back when noting the weight of the rack and box (and any tailgate bikerack too etc.

We run the same setup and it's awesome when on campsites and able to store your bulky items away and clea up the drive away awning :D

The OEM racks are Thule - it's more a case of weight and most of the damage wont be visible until after you remove the rack.

Your 2007 might have the Kylie version (a shapely curved shape with a bar at the top). The Quasimodo (more akin to scaffolding) is a bit more competent as a rack in my opinion - just not as attractive.
Thanks, though I don't think it's either of those. Here's what it looks like.

PXL_20210723_192020411.jpg

This might be of use.
Screenshot_20240130_094255_Email~2.jpg

IMG_6817.JPGIMG_6816.JPG
These are the two bits that need to be removed in order to allow it to fully tilt however I would suggest you put something back In its place to stop the tube being crushed when its tightened up - I am going to have a goo ad modifying these will post and update

View attachment 118618View attachment 118617
These are the two bits that need to be removed in order to allow it to fully tilt however I would suggest you put something back In its place to stop the tube being crushed when its tightened up - I am going to have a goo ad modifying these will post and update
A bit of modification on the lathe and the carrier now tilts fully and the tube is protected from crushing- before and after

IMG_6964.jpeg

IMG_6955.jpeg

Yes, my XT3 tilts enough to open my tailgate on a MY23 California Ocean.
That’s with the OEM removable towball from VW.
@Californication69 did you make any adjustments? Could you please show/instruct? Got same setup but factory mode is not enough.
Also, perhaps you know the OEM removable tow bar max weight too of mind? Many thanks in advance!

@Californication69 did you make any adjustments? Could you please show/instruct? Got same setup but factory mode is not enough.
Also, perhaps you know the OEM removable tow bar max weight too of mind? Many thanks in advance!
Hey, I didn’t make any adjustments to mine. It just tilted out the box. Not too sure, but I’ve heard either 100 or 120 KG towbar weight ?

@California_Clarky - the tailgate can indeed work whilst the XT-3 is on; and the Backspace XT-3 too.

The setup we run (due to the copious amounts of toot that two young kids often bring) is an XT-3 on the towbar with a Backspace XT-3 to try and generate a bit more space on the inside (light bulk - blankets, pillows, duvets etc).

Here's a picture of the setup.

The XT-3 has three settings for the tilt; by default it's on the middle. You can have it tilt less if you so fancy, but for the tailgate to clear it, it needs to be on the max setting. It's a simple pin through two eyelets so it's not exactly a tough job.

View attachment 117663
Hi just got my XT3 but as it is no way I can open the tailgate. Can I ask what do you do change the settings. Really a nightmare if it won’t tilt far enough. Any tips appreciated

I fitted mine for the first time this weekend. There is a small pin on each side which by default is in the small left hole. You need to move it to the right one and that increases the tilt from 50 to 70 degrees, there’s a bit about it in the pretty useless instruction booklet. It’s tight but the tailgate will clear it with millimetres to spare. Would suggest going carefully the first time though!

IMG_2996.jpeg

IMG_2997.jpeg

I fitted mine for the first time this weekend. There is a small pin on each side which by default is in the small left hole. You need to move it to the right one and that increases the tilt from 50 to 70 degrees, there’s a bit about it in the pretty useless instruction booklet. It’s tight but the tailgate will clear it with millimetres to spare. Would suggest going carefully the first time though!

View attachment 120836

View attachment 120837
Thanks JimmyLondon much appreciated this forum is wonderful

Back