Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule EasyFold XT 3 - Does it tilt far enough

California_Clarky

California_Clarky

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204

I am considering changing my current Thule tow-ball bike carrier for a Thule Easy fold XT 3 Bike carrier - I know there are some issues with thee XT 2 not folding down far enough to allow access to the tailgate unless you modify it by removing plastic parts - is this also the case with the XT3?​

TIA

Same on the XT3 that it doesn’t fold enough. Be honest I haven’t modified the rack yet as I just organise the boot such at I don’t need to go in there while the rack is on

We have a Altera Strada. Takes 3 bike with option for 4. Slides out so the tailgate can be opened.

@California_Clarky - the tailgate can indeed work whilst the XT-3 is on; and the Backspace XT-3 too.

The setup we run (due to the copious amounts of toot that two young kids often bring) is an XT-3 on the towbar with a Backspace XT-3 to try and generate a bit more space on the inside (light bulk - blankets, pillows, duvets etc).

Here's a picture of the setup.

The XT-3 has three settings for the tilt; by default it's on the middle. You can have it tilt less if you so fancy, but for the tailgate to clear it, it needs to be on the max setting. It's a simple pin through two eyelets so it's not exactly a tough job.

363373568_691676182975848_2054294894558871718_n.jpg

Yes, my XT3 tilts enough to open my tailgate on a MY23 California Ocean.
That’s with the OEM removable towball from VW.

@California_Clarky - the tailgate can indeed work whilst the XT-3 is on; and the Backspace XT-3 too.

The setup we run (due to the copious amounts of toot that two young kids often bring) is an XT-3 on the towbar with a Backspace XT-3 to try and generate a bit more space on the inside (light bulk - blankets, pillows, duvets etc).

The XT-3 has three settings for the tilt; by default it's on the middle. You can have it tilt less if you so fancy, but for the tailgate to clear it, it needs to be on the max setting. It's a simple pin through two eyelets so it's not exactly a tough job.

View attachment 117663
thanks for the reply that wasn't something I had considered but that could also provide more space when needed - Is that starlight blue looks really nice in the sun - bet it doesn't stay like that for long

Last edited:
We have a Altera Strada. Takes 3 bike with option for 4. Slides out so the tailgate can be opened.
Thanks for the reply yes that looks like something to consider.

What about security when the bikes are on there - what do you do with your bikes at night can the be locked onto the Cali and what about motorway stops is it one person staying in the van on guard....

thanks for the reply that wasn't something I had considered but that could also provide more space when needed - Is that starlight blue looks really nice in the sun - bet it doesn't stay in the Sun
Pearl Black polished to an inch of it's life. You could see the dust particles in the air too :D Alas, right now it's a two tone gradient paint of dark grey to grey....

What about security when the bikes are on there - what do you do with your bikes at night can the be locked onto the Cali and what about motorway stops is it one person staying in the van on guard....

The Thule XT-3 has independent locking arms akin to the Quasimodo tailgate rack.

Additionally, the rack clamps and locks using a single key lock. On a camp site, I wouldn't expect huge risk of the bikes going walkies if locked to the rack and the rack attached, but a standard bike lock around the main frames of the bikes and rack itself should suffice.

Regarding motorway stops - if someone can get under the van, pick the lock, lift off the rack with everything on it, load it and do a runner....they've earned them :D But an additional lock removes any concern.

View attachment 117663
I can see your one but where do you put the kids’ bikes?

Do these newer carriers have led lights fitted or are they the good old filement

Do these newer carriers have led lights fitted or are they the good old filement
Filament. However given they're not subject to an MOT and aren't directed beams, I cant see why you couldn't replace the bulbs with LED equivalents. But I doubt there's much benefit to be had.

I was just wondering as I thought they might last longer, but it’s probably gonna be quite expensive to replace all those bulbs with LEDs, so might just as well leave them with filaments

I was just wondering as I thought they might last longer, but it’s probably gonna be quite expensive to replace all those bulbs with LEDs, so might just as well leave them with filaments

They would, but you'd need to be really heavily using it to get to the end of the bulbs life I suspect. That said, being suckers for consistency with the van, you've now got me wanting to replace them too :D

They would, but you'd need to be really heavily using it to get to the end of the bulbs life I suspect. That said, being suckers for consistency with the van, you've now got me wanting to replace them too :D
Sorry my bad , but at least it’s an upgrade you can slide in under the radar and you will never see it :)

Could I ask which tailgate mounted carrier that is above the XT-3, @CamperFam?

Presumably with that setup you can still open the tailgate and the struts will keep it open if the bikes are little/light enough?

Could I ask which tailgate mounted carrier that is above the XT-3, @CamperFam?

Presumably with that setup you can still open the tailgate and the struts will keep it open if the bikes are little/light enough?

Tailgate is the OEM 'Quasimodo' T6 rack (non-electric, ofcourse). The tailgate isn't designed to be opened with bikes on. I would highly recommend that you dont ever do this, albeit it is possible. Due to the centre of gravity and the directional weight, if you open it with bikes on you can dent the tailgate where the mounting arms sit. Additionally, there are considerations on the bike handlebars and hitting the roof / pop top.

The Thule box and tailgate rack do indeed work together and you can open the tailgate still. But I would highly recommend you do not do it with bikes on.

OK interesting, thank you.

My 2007 SE (bought in 2016) came with some sort of Thule tailgate rack already fitted, and you can open the tailgate with a child's bike on no bother. No denting or fouling in seven years of use. Good to know that's not the case with the OEM rack.

New T6.1 Ocean (with tower) inbound in a few days so have rekindled my interest in max storage, minimum faff solutions...

The OEM racks are Thule - it's more a case of weight and most of the damage wont be visible until after you remove the rack.

Your 2007 might have the Kylie version (a shapely curved shape with a bar at the top). The Quasimodo (more akin to scaffolding) is a bit more competent as a rack in my opinion - just not as attractive.

I recently purchased the latest version of the THULE 978 Epos bike carrier. I opted for this carrier because attaching e-bikes is easy and secure, unlike the previous version which was a real headache. Essentially, this is the new version of the previous EasyFold XT2. In the Epos version, a removable wire serves as a safety measure for tilting the carrier. Unfortunately, the handlebar of my bike is too long, causing a shortage of a few centimeters to open the tailgate when I tilt the carrier and the bike's handlebar touches the ground. I haven't had the time to try it with my spouse's bike, which has a shorter handlebar, yet. When I do, I'll describe the experience on this forum.

1704620028107.png

Filament. However given they're not subject to an MOT and aren't directed beams, I cant see why you couldn't replace the bulbs with LED equivalents. But I doubt there's much benefit to be had.
You might get a bulb out dashboard warning if you change to LED as the vehicle monitors trailer lights when plugged in if you have OEM trailer electrics.

Back