Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The "things going wrong" thread

Took our 09 174 tip cali in to our dealer this week to have a list of things seen to whilst still under warranty with variable success.

Intermittent non starting - starter motor replaced.
Stiff blind over side door - new blind fitted.
Water level indicators on computer not working - sensor replaced.
Dodgy parking heater/flickering internal lights - earth shunt replaced.
Whistling driver's door mirror - felt strips fitted inside mirror, hasn't worked still whistling.
Climate control losing temperature after about 25 miles, have to whack temp right up to get working again - air quality sensor replaced but no better.

If anyone has heard of the climate control issue i'd love to know what the solution is as the dealer is stumped.

The clonk with the pre-facelift T5's was the lower steering uj, and the one with the GP model is the steering column.

I've has a couple of sets of roof bellows replaced under warranty, due to them catching in the scissor action of the roof.

Other than that I think these vans are pretty robust.

Oh and agree about the cup holders spitting out paper cups! Haha

Steering clonk on mine diagnosed today by local dealer as one of the drive shafts being knackered - looking on net this seems to be a common fault on T5's. Getting fixed under warranty so not a problem.

jay61cali said:
anybody noticed the black gromets missing on the poptop arms they seem to stick to the bottom arm then fall in the gutter rather than stay in the holes on the upper arms,same on all my old vans too, also noticed rubber bungs rollin around in the boot the other week they are the seat stops ,if you dont pull the seat forward before pulling it up it knocks the bungs out... everytime the mrs does it they are there on the boot floor,just little niggles but can get annoying keep putting them back in apart from that its great i do agree about the cup holders there not the best are they

Yes, I've also noticed the little black grommets that regularly fall from the rooftop arms. Luckily, I found them in the gutter of the van and stuck them back in, but otherwise they can be very easy to lose. Not quite sure what purpose they serve though.

Not noticed the rubber bungs for the seat stops. I haven't noticed any rubber things rolling around in the boot but then again I could have lost them already without realising! They sound important, but what exactly do they look like?

They look like acorns.don't think it's the end of the world if they have gone missing they just stop the seat banging when you slide it back after using the bed.if you pull the bed forward and look over the back of the seat you will see them either side of the rear bed frame at the front..and the roof ones just stop vibration I think and help the roof sit correctly I'n its place.but annoying for a brand new van costing nearly 50k to do this

Ah yes, found the acorn shaped bungs. Mine are still in place.They were covered in a clear sticky tape when I bought the van last year and haven't removed the tape. Glad I haven't now!

Does anyone have a picture of where they go, as I've picked up 2 'acorn shaped' rubber bugs in the boot on Sunday?

Thanks
Mark

MKRW said:
Does anyone have a picture of where they go, as I've picked up 2 'acorn shaped' rubber bugs in the boot on Sunday?

Thanks
Mark
hi mark I don't have a pic but they go I'n the back bit of the bed where the gap is when your bed is down.either side you should feel the holes where they go mate.

Thanks. I also have the seat covers on with the bars in the middle that may have helped dislodge them.

If your Warranty is about to end, go over your van with a fine tooth comb and check for problems. VW do an end of warranty inspection - if they don't approach you then approach them It's a bit of a two way street in that the dealer can then say 'it wasn't there when we checked it' which is why you should do a hyper critical review yourself before it goes in.

The one thing I wish I'd checked are the heating controls - only after the end of warranty did I notice that they had been stiff and also not very powerful on full fan through the face vents. And I probably didn't notice because my warranty ended in March before the summer heat caused me to notice. So check the unseasonal things like fresh air vents and air con.

Keep an eye on the rubber trim around the base of the roof. Mine started to corrode. Turned out to be quite a simple fix to replace the strip. Thankfully done under warranty.

image-1.jpeg image.jpeg

The warranty on our cali runs out in june so we're currently in the process of having everything seen to that i can think of!
Have had two visits so far to the excellent Carrs of Exeter, with a third needed because of parts not being in the country, so a bit of a pain living 50 miles away but worth it because the quality of service is a million times better than i had with my local dealer.

From memory i've had a new starter motor, new blind over sliding door, new level sensor for fresh water tank,new rear double glazed window due to seal failure, driver's door mirror attended to for whistling noise (still there though) and new handle for sliding door to hopefully resolve opening/closing issues.

Will check the rubber roof seal before it goes back in as well now i've seen the pics. Good shout dex14, that doesn't look good.

Hopefully it will be in full working order once the warranty runs out.

When I first saw the corrosion I was really worried. My local dealer was unsure about fixing it as they had never come across this issue before. When they came to do the job, it was actually straightforward. It was the metal within the strip that had corroded. They removed the strip, cleaned up the paintwork and put a new strip on. Good as new. :crazy

Martin

dex14 said:
When I first saw the corrosion I was really worried. My local dealer was unsure about fixing it as they had never come across this issue before. When they came to do the job, it was actually straightforward. It was the metal within the strip that had corroded. They removed the strip, cleaned up the paintwork and put a new strip on. Good as new. :crazy

Martin

Looks a bit like bi-metal corrosion to me. Did they do anything else to isolate the strip? Sorry, I'm a Materials Engineer by education and that sort of stuff interests me... :oops:

The windscreen wash for my front and rear windows stopped working in my 180DSG. I called the dealer who immediately told me it was the 7.5A fuse which had blown and it's a fairly common fault. The fuse is located in the small fuse holder within the engine compartment, next to the main battery. There was only one 7.5A fuse in my box, so was dead easy to find.

The symptons are no sound of any pump noise when using the windscreen washer, but the wipers still go through their cleaning cycle - just with no water being squirted onto the windows ( front & rear ).

Engine management light has just come on our way home from work :( 9 months out of warranty!

If it's the EGR valve then make sure you contact Vw customer services personally to get some "goodwill" contribution. It's a well documented fault.

VW don't do goodwill, my roof front panel corrosion testifies to this.

John
Your position is awful and you must be very disappointed to say the least. In America Vw would have had their "ass kicked" by a Class Action by now.

Back