Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Man From Comfort, he say no...

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
As suspected Comfort cannot insure the Beach as it is not registered as a camper etc....

I know this is covered in another thread but I thought i'd just place here in the Beach section.

I am off insurance hunting - due to pick up the van tomorrow now - will have the 7 day VW Drive insurance.

James

Nothing like brinkmanship there James.
I hope that you find something quickly.
Luke

Luke,

Brinkmanship is sorting out insurance on the last day of the free 7 day cover :oops:

We went with comfort (not a beach)

Simon

shambly said:
Luke,

Brinkmanship is sorting out insurance on the last day of the free 7 day cover :oops:

We went with comfort (not a beach)

Simon

Good point Simon. I must be getting 'windy' in my old age. :mrgreen:

Advance quoted me for a beach. Seemed sensible.

BikerBoy said:

That sounds good - yes I have the 7 day cover. Not so tricky with my Vanagon - it's classed as a classic and I insured with Highway. This is a whole new kettle of fish.

I am not surprised = interesting ringing round not only does the Beach cause a complete mystery but my reg often describes it as the 140 model.

Okay - Advance...

Thank you for the advice.

James

BikerBoy said:

I will speak to them tomorrow - I did a bit on online shopping tonight - i managed to get one reasonable quote.

Difficult - I have had two accidents in the last 4 years - the first not my fault and the second was, illustrating the difficulty of driving a T25 LHD Vanagon in the dark turning left into a narrow street. The T25's are truly massive and feel it!

Anyway - I have managed to get the insurance quote down to somewhere close to what I expected and without a silly excess. I have no finance on the van and I will buy the insurance outright - so expensive but it won't add any monthly costs to the van as such.

I got a reasonable quote from Herts Insurance Consultants which did not seem to have the emphasis on the 'con' side.

Anyway - bit more ringing round tomorrow when places are open.

By the way I went through the actual Comfort Website - you can't select the Beach.

James

Comfort... called them as the quote on the site looked good. Also biz use for the proposer (never found out if it covered another named driver too) The called to chase up the quote and confirmed that if I left my Cali anywhere other than my house unattended for 36 hours I needed to inform them in advance and get it referred to the underwriters.

Seriously that is a PITA so prob go with Direct line again who oddly are £200 on the renewal than the website?

sebking said:
Comfort... called them as the quote on the site looked good. Also biz use for the proposer (never found out if it covered another named driver too) The called to chase up the quote and confirmed that if I left my Cali anywhere other than my house unattended for 36 hours I needed to inform them in advance and get it referred to the underwriters.

Seriously that is a PITA so prob go with Direct line again who oddly are £200 on the renewal than the website?

I've had insurance nightmares - this morning I was looking at 1700 fully comp. Jesus.. I felt like Greece and its debt.

The problem was that regular insurers thought it was a camper and camper insurers thought it was a car... Then when they thought it was a camper the insurance went down, but when I said, oh biz use, it went up, significantly. Thing was, insurance companies had no idea about it.

In the end it was the tried and tested Adrian Flux who insured me for 799 fully comp (good for me) They noted it as 'VW California Beach', but not a full camper but as a T5 from the factory converted by VW.

Very good service as well, so I shan't complain.

When is a camper not a camper but it might be... When you try to insure it :)

James

Back