Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

the difference between cranking and leisure battery

Guy d

Guy d

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, i seek advice on difference between leisure battery and a cranking battery. I picked up one of each from vw and i'm not absolutely sure which is which (nor was the mechanic who gave them to me!)

Both are vw branded

the first serial number is 000915105 CD, 75ah 420a, and is black, and is also labelled AGM

The other is serial number 000915105 DJ 85 ah 450a and is white

Could someone confirm which is the leisure and which is the cranking battery?

Secondly, assuming both leisure batteries are flat, what happens if i only replace one leisure battery? Will the old one knacker the new one?

Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 06.26.17.png

Hi, i seek advice on difference between leisure battery and a cranking battery. I picked up one of each from vw and i'm not absolutely sure which is which (nor was the mechanic who gave them to me!)

Both are vw branded

the first serial number is 000915105 CD, 75ah 420a, and is black, and is also labelled AGM

Secondly, assuming both leisure batteries are flat, what happens if i only replace one leisure battery? Will the old one knacker the new one?

View attachment 88534
According to Google 000915105 CD is sold as a Starter Battery.

According to best practice, and VW, Leisure Batteries should be replaced in pairs for best performance and longevity.

These are the normal VW replacements fitted.
Starter

Leisure

Both are vw branded

View attachment 88534
Looking at my own pair of factory leisure batteries and popping the bonnet open, the black AGM is the leisure battery and the white, starter.
I agree with welshGas, change both leisure simultaneously if your budget allows. If not, don't swap it out yet, wait until you have both leisure battery replacements.
Varta sell them directly for about £170 and is, as WelshGas mentioned, model: "LA80" AGM which may likely be cheaper than with VW.

Envoyé de mon SM-N981B en utilisant Tapatalk