Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Demand For Campervans & Motorhomes

A have been roaming around Scotland for last couple of week. Big shout out to the Cali Ocean person curling a big shite out at the side of a scenic lay-by. I have your number plate and will find out your address and post you it back.
I bet the person in question is really pooing themselves now

A have been roaming around Scotland for last couple of week. Big shout out to the Cali Ocean person curling a big shite out at the side of a scenic lay-by. I have your number plate and will find out your address and post you it back.

I saw a guy do that at Watergate Bay a couple of months back. Late into the evening. Only 3 of us in the entire car park all spread out keeping a low profile as we weren’t meant to be there (cough).

He dropped off what I can only describe as afterbirth. I actually think he needs to see a doctor because blood in the stools isn’t clever.
Totally disgusting and instead of walking up into the hill and finding a bush and digging a hole. He leaves on the entrance to the car park adjacent a footpath...

It’s no wonder there are signs all over that stretch of coastline.

But as GrannyGen said. A lot of campers are getting grief about the mess, when lots of it are caused by other users. I’ve seen pictures of tents and all sorts just left on the Beaches.
Where do people get the mentality to do that...?

Bring on the mass fines and community service (litter picking) for anyone caught littering...

I’ve seen pictures of tents and all sorts just left on the Beaches.
Where do people get the mentality to do that...?
When you can go to Argos and buy a tent for £13.19, normal price a staggering £19.99, why bother taking it down and working out how to pack it? Can't be arsed to carry it back either, it's full of sand and only a few quid, leave it, I'll get next week's fashionable colour next time. Same situation at festival sites for years.

Today's throwaway society has so much to learn. Probably the same folk spending the same amount on a round of coffees and leaving those cups on the beach too.

A £19.99 tent cannot have any longevity. Whilst minimum pricing is dangerous if a tent had a minimum price of £80 you'd choose the best quality one you could get for the money and look after it, all the cheap junk wouldn't get made.

Screenshot_20200810-091658_Chrome.jpg

When you can go to Argos and buy a tent for £13.19, normal price a staggering £19.99, why bother taking it down and working out how to pack it? Can't be arsed to carry it back either, it's full of sand and only a few quid, leave it, I'll get next week's fashionable colour next time. Same situation at festival sites for years.

Today's throwaway society has so much to learn. Probably the same folk spending the same amount on a round of coffees and leaving those cups on the beach too.

A £19.99 tent cannot have any longevity. Whilst minimum pricing is dangerous if a tent had a minimum price of £80 you'd choose the best quality one you could get for the money and look after it, all the cheap junk wouldn't get made.

Very good point. If folks make a mess of their local park, it will be in their faces the next day when they walk past on their way to work. But if they leave a remote beauty spot in squalor, they won't see it again for weeks, months or maybe ever. So some kind of national campaigning with social media 'hooks' is surely necessary to highlight the scale of the issue and start getting people to connect their behaviour as individuals to the outcomes. Maybe a celeb like Bear Grylls or Kate Humble, supported by a consortium of national organisation like Keep Britain Tidy, the camping associations... or what?

(An issue however will be whether the message can be "if you're going to wild camp, always do this, and never do that" or whether that will just get push-back from those who say wild camping should not be tolerated in any form.)

Agree with the Highlands/Islands tourist tax idea. At the moment we can do and spend time in one of the most beautiful regions of Europe, use the roads and infrastructure that the locals pay for through their taxes (even if we leave behind no rubbish to be cleared up) for absolutely no charge. We should really be paying our way, IMO. I'm just not sure how it would be collected/collectable.
Everybody will have their own view but I can’t agree with a tourist tax on any UK resident visiting Scotland. We already pay enough tax in one way or another and as visitors to any region we also undoubtedly contribute to the local economy. I live in the Chilterns which is a beautiful place and we get lots of tourists, walking, cycling, sightseeing, etc. Many of them use the local shops, cafes and pubs in my village and we welcome them with open arms. I can’t imagine how a tourist tax could be applied and policed.
I wouldn’t be in favour of it personally, but for foreign road using tourists I think a one off fee for a permit to drive on all UK roads could easily be implemented and provided it was a reasonable sum I don’t think there would be any major objections.
Regarding littering, there are already laws against it but perhaps enforcement needs to be improved.

Not sure I agree with a Highlands tax, that would soon morph to a Dartmoor/Dales/Pembrokeshire/ <Insert any other region here>.

The them/us attitude is so prevalent in the UK, be it locals/tourists, cyclists/motorists, canoeists/anglers, etc. There is a danger the current overuse of Scotland due to a lack of freedom to roam in England & Wales will adversely impact on attempts to free up access in England & Wales, which is so restricted at the moment. Rivers you can't paddle on, footpaths you can't cycle on, out of the way places you can't stealth camp on.

Changing attitudes and red tape to allow publicly and privately run aires has got to be an option. So much talk about the need for farmers/small rural businesses etc. to diversify but very few have camping spots. Whether this is planning red tape or local opposition I don't know. Given the certified location/5 van type restriction I'd guess at planning regs. Any existing campsite will also probably resist plans for inexpensive local competion. Much like the Ocean/ Beach debate there are different types of camper out there yet the cost at a campsite is often much the same for the 6m caravan with matching awning, full hook up etc as it is for a pull in, pull away again in the morning campervan. This drives the stealth/unofficial camping that locals dislike.

As other posters have said local businesses or churches, scout groups and in particular pubs could raise a tidy income for little input following the European aire model. Get the National Trust, Rspb and similar carparks available for a £5 overnight fee and the whole game changes.

The recent post highlighting the campaign for aires deserves our support.
But the councils wont provide enough sites for proper travellers so why would they provide them for us.

But the councils wont provide enough sites for proper travellers so why would they provide them for us.
But it needn't be councils. Whilst many French Aires are municipal there are also countries like Germany where vineyards, small businesses etc. offer facilities. We've found some of these the most interesting, giving insight to local culture more than the standard campsite where you park up with the hordes of Brit and Dutch caravanners (and absolutely nothing against the Dutch. Caravanners maybe....)

Our country is so wrapped up in privacy/restricting access/ not opening up spaces. And I understand the myriad of reasons a business may not want me walking through crops or livestock but surely it is better to negotiate and allow access in acceptable, educated ways, rather than have the wrong folk access that land in ways that don't benefit anyone.

I think the traveller site issue is a separate one and sadly the nimbyism surrounding that can often be understood given the way that some in that community leave public spaces. At the moment there is a danger the lack of facilities for us and great whites will end up with locals in tourist hotspots tarring us with that brush, rather than looking for ways to welcome us to contribute to their locality.

Maybe we need a network of Cali owners gardens and drives? (I'd offer mine but it is a 35 degree slope)

But it needn't be councils. Whilst many French Aires are municipal there are also countries like Germany where vineyards, small businesses etc. offer facilities. We've found some of these the most interesting, giving insight to local culture more than the standard campsite where you park up with the hordes of Brit and Dutch caravanners (and absolutely nothing against the Dutch. Caravanners maybe....)

Our country is so wrapped up in privacy/restricting access/ not opening up spaces. And I understand the myriad of reasons a business may not want me walking through crops or livestock but surely it is better to negotiate and allow access in acceptable, educated ways, rather than have the wrong folk access that land in ways that don't benefit anyone.

I think the traveller site issue is a separate one and sadly the nimbyism surrounding that can often be understood given the way that some in that community leave public spaces. At the moment there is a danger the lack of facilities for us and great whites will end up with locals in tourist hotspots tarring us with that brush, rather than looking for ways to welcome us to contribute to their locality.

Maybe we need a network of Cali owners gardens and drives? (I'd offer mine but it is a 35 degree slope)
I have often thought an in house solution would work i.e local farms houses or fellow members and then britstops came along. Been using them for a while and although covid had reduced some opportunities we still found a few recently in the lake district.

Agree with the Highlands/Islands tourist tax idea. At the moment we can do and spend time in one of the most beautiful regions of Europe, use the roads and infrastructure that the locals pay for through their taxes (even if we leave behind no rubbish to be cleared up) for absolutely no charge. We should really be paying our way, IMO. I'm just not sure how it would be collected/collectable.
Yes to massive fines/criminal proceedings for littering etc - there is no excuse to not clear up after your self.
However, there is already a charge and its not just locals paying through there taxes - we all pay for it cosmically speaking; Road tax, Tax on Fuel, VAT on purchases to say nothing of the Income tax paid - all going to provide for services in the whole of the UK; we all pay a bit for all the services we all consume nationally, so we do pay our way already, IMHO...

I have often thought an in house solution would work i.e local farms houses or fellow members and then britstops came along. Been using them for a while and although covid had reduced some opportunities we still found a few recently in the lake district.
We're with Britstops too and find it a very effective scheme for us. Although most places don't offer any facilities so you need to be self sufficient. Many people though just won't pay the £30 ish for the book. Also many hosts allow non-Britstops to stay over, which is understandable but causes resentment.

We're with Britstops too and find it a very effective scheme for us. Although most places don't offer any facilities so you need to be self sufficient. Many people though just won't pay the £30 ish for the book. Also many hosts allow non-Britstops to stay over, which is understandable but causes resentment.

Plus also al to of Britstops are now listed on Searchforsites as well as a lot of non-britstop pub stopovers. I still buy the book, loyalty, but don't really know why :D

There's an assumption that tourists contribute to rural economies but that's often a partial fallacy. Campervanners and MHers in particular are less likely (than people staying in hotels or self catering accommodation) to use , bought from the supermarket at home.
Plus also al to of Britstops are now listed on Searchforsites as well as a lot of non-britstop pub stopovers. I still buy the book, loyalty, but don't really know why :D

We've never yet found a pub with a car park that isn't, in effect, a Britstop. We just ask them if we can overnight in their car park if we book a table to eat, and so far none have ever said no.

Very good point. If folks make a mess of their local park, it will be in their faces the next day when they walk past on their way to work. But if they leave a remote beauty spot in squalor, they won't see it again for weeks, months or maybe ever. So some kind of national campaigning with social media 'hooks' is surely necessary to highlight the scale of the issue and start getting people to connect their behaviour as individuals to the outcomes. Maybe a celeb like Bear Grylls or Kate Humble, supported by a consortium of national organisation like Keep Britain Tidy, the camping associations... or what?

(An issue however will be whether the message can be "if you're going to wild camp, always do this, and never do that" or whether that will just get push-back from those who say wild camping should not be tolerated in any form.)
Cader Idris on Sunday was moderately busy. Tents pitched up by the lake. Families picnicking on the summit.

I didn’t notice one scrap of litter.

Cader Idris on Sunday was moderately busy. Tents pitched up by the lake. Families picnicking on the summit.

I didn’t notice one scrap of litter.
I don't think you would get many groups of younger people trekking to the top of Cader Idris with their 6 packs of lager and disposable barbecues for a rave. :headbang

There's an assumption that tourists contribute to rural economies but that's often a partial fallacy. Campervanners and MHers in particular are less likely (than people staying in hotels or self catering accommodation) to use , bought from the supermarket at home.

We've never yet found a pub with a car park that isn't, in effect, a Britstop. We just ask them if we can overnight in their car park if we book a table to eat, and so far none have ever said no.
Ah, but the beauty of Britstops is that you don't have to use their services or buy their products. The hosts use it as a loss leader to promote themselves. I don't want a debate about the morals of staying somewhere for free, the scheme is set as it is and hosts sign up to it. We usually do book a meal in a pub or shop at a farm but there are times when circumstances have meant we can't and the Britstops hosts have been very understanding.

A
There's an assumption that tourists contribute to rural economies but that's often a partial fallacy. Campervanners and MHers in particular are less likely (than people staying in hotels or self catering accommodation)

We stayed 8 nights in Devon recently, we bought one lot of fish and chips and a couple of ice creams.

Mind you, I’m from Yorkshire and as tight as chuff ;)

I don't think you would get many groups of younger people trekking to the top of Cader Idris with their 6 packs of lager and disposable barbecues for a rave. :headbang
I passed a great many lay-bys and car parks between Dolgellau and Welshpool, I didn't notice any rubbish there either (or difficulties for emergency service access if campervans had been parked up).

I'm not saying problems don't exist, but suggest they are more isolated than the press makes out.

I did notice groups of young men making howels of anguish as they dared each other to swim in Llyn Cau, but was impressed with one pair who swam the entire length of the lake, just shy of 500m.

I passed a great many lay-bys and car parks between Dolgellau and Welshpool, I didn't notice any rubbish there either (or difficulties for emergency service access if campervans had been parked up).

I'm not saying problems don't exist, but suggest they are more isolated than the press makes out.

I did notice groups of young men making howels of anguish as they dared each other to swim in Llyn Cau, but was impressed with one pair who swam the entire length of the lake, just shy of 500m.
Should have gone there a few weeks ago. Since the N Wales Police have been fining and towing away obstructing and illegally parked vehicles I gather the situation has improved somewhat and now you are left, predominantly , with those tourists who respect nature and the countryside.

As ever easy to stigmatise ‘younger people’, of course 30, 40, 50 years ago there was no litter, crime etc?

As ever easy to stigmatise ‘younger people’, of course 30, 40, 50 years ago there was no litter, crime etc?
Touchy.
As far as I am concerned anyone younger than me is just that “ younger “.
Anyway I wouldn’t be lugging a 6 pack up Capel Idris, more likely a hip flask.

I’m parked up next to a huge really lovely open park. It has been super busy the last few days. The council have put out extra bins, dotted around. I walk round it everyday. Some people are animals. The litter strewn around is really shocking. Cars also pull up and just empty their KFC wrappers and whatever else on the floor. It’s unbelievable that they come here because it’s so lovely and so many leave it such a mess.
I think they should get one warning and then go to prison for a month.

I’m parked up next to a huge really lovely open park. It has been super busy the last few days. The council have put out extra bins, dotted around. I walk round it everyday. Some people are animals. The litter strewn around is really shocking. Cars also pull up and just empty their KFC wrappers and whatever else on the floor. It’s unbelievable that they come here because it’s so lovely and so many leave it such a mess.
I think they should get one warning and then go to prison for a month.
The thing is the ones that tend to leave the litter I would suspect be the ones that live in homes that are filthy disgusting holes. If you have people that can’t keep their homes clean what chance does the local park have. There’s been plenty of times when I have put dust sheets down in a house to keep my tools clean and I have wiped my feet on the way out

Interesting to see demand has resulted in people flipping vans at sizeable markups. I see the one from ebay recently that was advertised at 31k is up on here at 35k.

There is an article on CNN today regarding staycationing. Much concerned the market for Campervans and Motorhomes but there was a particularly distressing paragraph concerning Wild Camping. With many more ‘vans and caravans about it is already becoming difficult to find a formal pitch and yet, apparently, the selfish littering by a few is causing known wild camping spots to become the subject of No Overnight Camping signs. Such articles in the press certainly influence public opinion against a group perceived as littering freeloaders already. In my humble opinion, the future looks bleak.

Back