The Demand For Campervans & Motorhomes

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Needed a new 907 refill yesterday. So popped down to the local Caravan and Motorhome showroom.
Couldn’t believe the amount of vans with Sold Banners across them. Normally have two or three in the sold area.
The guy said, they can’t buy enough vans to keep up with demand...

Pic below are all the vans waiting to be collected. This doesn’t include the Caravans that are sold.

6A117E5F-FC12-475F-A7D5-EB87D3B11B27.jpeg

Good news for California residuals, but I’m a bit concerned about negative news reporting of vans at beauty spots, local councils making it harder to park up and the general negative views that’s heading our way as places become over crowded with a new wave of campers...

Will this be the start of more freedoms being taken away for people who just want to holiday in a more nomadic style.

Needed a new 907 refill yesterday. So popped down to the local Caravan and Motorhome showroom.
Couldn’t believe the amount of vans with Sold Banners across them. Normally have two or three in the sold area.

Pic below are all the vans waiting to be collected. This doesn’t include the Caravans that are sold.

View attachment 64203

Good news for California residuals, but I’m a bit concerned about negative news reporting of vans at beauty spots, local councils making it harder to park up and the general negative views that’s heading our way as places become over crowded with a new wave of campers...

Will this be the start of more freedoms being taken away for people who just want to holiday in a more nomadic style.
Is it good news for California residuals?
How many new owners have rushed into a purchase because of C19?
How many will embrace the lifestyle and be in for the longterm or will they flood the market with 2nd hand vehicles when winter comes, the economic downturn hits and a vaccine against C19 is available and they can return safely to their oversea holidays in the sun?

There is plenty of ‘headroom’ in the UK leisure vehicle market, as more people enter it, enough will remain to keep residuals strong.

Dealers will be rubbing their hand now, for sales, then next year when people try to get rid of their big purchase trade in values, for big whites, will no doubt be very low.
Californias are a law unto themselves when it comes to value.

Dealers will be rubbing their hand now, for sales, then next year when people try to get rid of their big purchase trade in values, for big whites, will no doubt be very low.
Californias are a law unto themselves when it comes to value.

Limited stock of California is a plus point.

The Cali is also a different animal to a Great White and more useful especially as the new wave create more issues at beauty spot. Which means things like 2m height barriers, which aren’t an issue for us.

Come winter, once reality sets in and the govt stops throwing money around, I think many will try and bail. The economic ramifications of C19 have not even started yet IMHO.

How many extra Californias are coming out of the factory/into the UK?

How many extra Californias are coming out of the factory/into the UK?
I don’t think there are extra, it seems that delivery times are just being extended.

As always, when discussing residuals even with my other hat on of Gypsy rose Jen I haven't a clue what's going to happen. It's like the weather, so many variables impacting upon it that forecasting becomes a lottery.

Like bicycles, the second hand market is daft, the new market though is steady, if anything because of Covid restrictions less are being produced in this year of boom than was produced in the lean years, so whilst the existing vehicle stock may go round and round faster on the second hand carousel the overall volume in circulation remains steady. That long term is surely a big influence on residuals.

View attachment 64203

I think this’ll be bad for us in the long run. The reputational damage and loss of the “hearts and minds” real campers promote will outweigh any small benefits.

Limited stock of California is a plus point.

The Cali is also a different animal to a Great White and more useful especially as the new wave create more issues at beauty spot. Which means things like 2m height barriers, which aren’t an issue for us.
Some Calis are just a tad over 2m (doh)!

I don't share all this gloom and doom about "new people" buying campers.

I have no idea who's buying them. They may be like me, someone for whom unforeseen circumstances played a part I never saw coming but seized the moment when it came. I had played my part in using, protecting and respecting our countryside for around 50 years before then: just because I had never owned a camper did not suddenly make me a "camper vandal".

In the last few months we have seen an extraordinary number of people with a lot of time on their hands and with very limited opportunities for how and where to use that time. Coupled with generally fine weather it has brought people out of their houses and into their native countryside in droves.There was bound to be some stresses and displays of unacceptable behaviour.

However, the sudden upsurge, just as with cycling, may have positive benefits. Suddenly there is a will, a voice for change and larger numbers to argue for that change. Perhaps this upsurge may cause the sort of rethink we have wanted for years, the introduction of Aires and other facilities that will go a long way to preventing some of the scenes that have painted such a negative image.

Maybe with all these extra vans out and about thelocal councils will have a rethink and welcome the trade these visitors bring to beauty spots and make it easier for vans to park overnight thus pumping cash into the local community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a bit down yesterday seeing all the trashed lay-bys and even hearing reports of litter on the Harris and Sandwood Bay beaches so there has of course been knee jerk anti-van media. I even felt like that peak 'bonny escape' has passed. I don't get the dirty camping mentality, it's baffling. But folk trashing could be anyone, many walking in with tents etc, it's 90 minutes walk in to Sandwood Bay. Today after doing a couple of unspoilt Munros and a not too bad Munro car park I'm in better mood and in agreement that since vans etc are here to stay, loads of hobbyists in the van and MH market, bikes, canoes, walkers etc there has to be a push for state of the art Aires etc, must be so much potential for seldom used car parks, a few spaces in pub/hotel car parks.. we used some crackers in Europe in Winter, 10 euro often bought a clean space with water and toilet disposal, an architect in Germany got night income from his car park and had a wee toilet / shower block for couple Euros. This push has to go hand in hand with a crackdown on dirty camping with big fines / beefing up existing anti-littering that might fund extra monitoring but banning camping and vans is just daft. I'm not against even a Highland Tourist tax to help fund clear up as well, it needs to be sorted. Only seen a few European van tourists and can't think they'll ever want to park on Loch Lomond again

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Got a bit down yesterday seeing all the trashed lay-bys and even hearing reports of litter on the Harris and Sandwood Bay beaches so there has of course been knee jerk anti-van media. I even felt like that peak 'bonny escape' has passed. I don't get the dirty camping mentality, it's baffling. But folk trashing could be anyone, many walking in with tents etc, it's 90 minutes walk in to Sandwood Bay. Today after doing a couple of unspoilt Munros and a not too bad Munro car park I'm in better mood and in agreement that since vans etc are here to stay, loads of hobbyists in the van and MH market, bikes, canoes, walkers etc there has to be a push for state of the art Aires etc, must be so much potential for seldom used car parks, a few spaces in pub/hotel car parks.. we used some crackers in Europe in Winter, 10 euro often bought a clean space with water and toilet disposal, an architect in Germany got night income from his car park and had a wee toilet / shower block for couple Euros. This push has to go hand in hand with a crackdown on dirty camping with big fines / beefing up existing anti-littering that might fund extra monitoring but banning camping and vans is just daft. I'm not against even a Highland Tourist tax to help fund clear up as well, it needs to be sorted. Only seen a few European van tourists and can't think they'll ever want to park on Loch Lomond again

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Agree with the Highlands/Islands tourist tax idea. At the moment we can do and spend time in one of the most beautiful regions of Europe, use the roads and infrastructure that the locals pay for through their taxes (even if we leave behind no rubbish to be cleared up) for absolutely no charge. We should really be paying our way, IMO. I'm just not sure how it would be collected/collectable.

Just looking on the VW vans approved site there are 13 for sale lowest price
£ 49,990 (Jan 2020 reg beach) to highest £ 64,991 (Dec 2019 reg ocean) if there website is correct last wk had 9? something useless to think about as im not selling, just had my cambelt and water pump and fuel and air filter change by my mechanic neighbour ( saved me a mint ), not done for 7 years and bit over
46,000 miles later,belt looked fine but water pump showed signs of wear and almost leaking !

The parking wardens are having a 'field day ' booking campers for illegal overnight camping in Pembrokeshire, think it is costing them £ 75 a time !

Not sure I agree with a Highlands tax, that would soon morph to a Dartmoor/Dales/Pembrokeshire/ <Insert any other region here>.

The them/us attitude is so prevalent in the UK, be it locals/tourists, cyclists/motorists, canoeists/anglers, etc. There is a danger the current overuse of Scotland due to a lack of freedom to roam in England & Wales will adversely impact on attempts to free up access in England & Wales, which is so restricted at the moment. Rivers you can't paddle on, footpaths you can't cycle on, out of the way places you can't stealth camp on.

Changing attitudes and red tape to allow publicly and privately run aires has got to be an option. So much talk about the need for farmers/small rural businesses etc. to diversify but very few have camping spots. Whether this is planning red tape or local opposition I don't know. Given the certified location/5 van type restriction I'd guess at planning regs. Any existing campsite will also probably resist plans for inexpensive local competion. Much like the Ocean/ Beach debate there are different types of camper out there yet the cost at a campsite is often much the same for the 6m caravan with matching awning, full hook up etc as it is for a pull in, pull away again in the morning campervan. This drives the stealth/unofficial camping that locals dislike.

As other posters have said local businesses or churches, scout groups and in particular pubs could raise a tidy income for little input following the European aire model. Get the National Trust, Rspb and similar carparks available for a £5 overnight fee and the whole game changes.

The recent post highlighting the campaign for aires deserves our support.

The parking wardens are having a 'field day ' booking campers for illegal overnight camping in Pembrokeshire, think it is costing them £ 75 a time !
For some maybe worth the risk as it’s only the cost of a couple of nights on some campsites at the mo!

Just looking on the VW vans approved site there are 13 for sale lowest price
£ 49,990 (Jan 2020 reg beach) to highest £ 64,991 (Dec 2019 reg ocean) if there website is correct last wk had 9? something useless to think about as im not selling, just had my cambelt and water pump and fuel and air filter change by my mechanic neighbour ( saved me a mint ), not done for 7 years and bit over
46,000 miles later,belt looked fine but water pump showed signs of wear and almost leaking !
Crazy prices. Back in September, brand new 2019 top spec T6 Oceans were going for £52K at dealers.

Crazy prices. Back in September, brand new 2019 top spec T6 Oceans were going for £52K at dealers.
Including 12 months road tax, a years free insurance, 5 year warranty, free accessories...and a full tank of fuel :embarrased

A have been roaming around Scotland for last couple of week. Big shout out to the Cali Ocean person curling a big shite out at the side of a scenic lay-by. I have your number plate and will find out your address and post you it back.

Back