Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Demand For Campervans & Motorhomes

Is it good news for California residuals?
How many new owners have rushed into a purchase because of C19?
How many will embrace the lifestyle and be in for the longterm or will they flood the market with 2nd hand vehicles when winter comes, the economic downturn hits and a vaccine against C19 is available and they can return safely to their oversea holidays in the sun?
Is there somewhere a set of guidelines for new campers - a kind of golden rules or charter? If not, should we collectively draft one and make it available to all?

Is there somewhere a set of guidelines for new campers - a kind of golden rules or charter? If not, should we collectively draft one and make it available to all?

https://www.campsites.co.uk/guides/wild-camping/wild-camping-code-of-conduct

It's focused on 'proper' wild camping (ie tents, walked-in) rather than campervans but a good start. It can be boiled down to the often-stated principle of "Leave No Trace" (LNT).

Trouble is, the people who are interested in such things will already be aware of the main do's/don'ts, while it will just never occur to others to find out about them.

After a bit more thought, here are a few suggested clauses of a Wild Campervan Code or whatever you'd call it. Maybe others can add to it:
  • Just because someone else has already parked up in that lovely spot, or has clearly used it before, doesn't mean it must be okay for you to also. Look at every spot on its own merits and don't just follow the herd.
  • Ask yourself: what might local people think about someone camping here? How would I feel if I lived here, all year round?
  • As far as possible, arrive late and leave early. Don't abuse the privilege.
  • Accept the fact that even though you think your campervan is a gleaming work of automotive art, to others it's probably an eyesore that contributes absolutely nothing to the rural scene. Park it as unobtrusively as possible. Down in a dip if you can, it won't kill you to walk a few yards to admire the view.
  • Never drive onto sensitive grassland, even on the road verges. If in doubt, stay off it.
  • Be fully aware of fire risks. Never use a BBQ/stove that scorches turf or leaves any other trace.
  • Golden rule: don't leave ANYTHING behind after an informal overnight spot. You brought it in, you take it away. NO exceptions.

In light of the above - smug photo wild camping in the Aosta Valley a couple of weeks ago. Can you see Velma? :)

1597509524062.png

I applaud the idea but if people can’t manage the basics such as leave no litter and don’t park inconsiderately I feel it would fall on deaf ears.

Lots of books written over the past few years. Some contain a few nuggets of really good info but it’s mostly just common sense. You’ll notice them as they usually have a vintage vw on the cover, full of twee hand crafted accessories, perfectly photographed in a meadow or at the coast.

I find that everyone’s take on campervanning will be different. Spend time trawling the forums and blogs, some of the guys on here write some great blogs. Facebook has a host of different groups.

Put value on just browsing, you never know what you might find AND use search facilities to find info you’d already thought about. Also ask questions, especially on here, people are really open hearted and happy to give advice and share knowledge skills and experiences.

Lots of books written over the past few years. Some contain a few nuggets of really good info but it’s mostly just common sense. You’ll notice them as they usually have a vintage vw on the cover, full of twee hand crafted accessories, perfectly photographed in a meadow or at the coast.

I find that everyone’s take on campervanning will be different. Spend time trawling the forums and blogs, some of the guys on here write some great blogs. Facebook has a host of different groups.

Put value on just browsing, you never know what you might find AND use search facilities to find info you’d already thought about. Also ask questions, especially on here, people are really open hearted and happy to give advice and share knowledge skills and experiences.
Sounds good. I wasn’t thinking for me as I’ve been around the block a few times, more that we as VWCC draw up a guideline. I know it’s mostly common sense and decent manners but sometimes people need to see it writ large.

Recent conversation at CCC site last week;
hi mate, did you convert this van yourself
no, it a German mainstream suppler of campervan / motorhomes
oh, it just that I’ve go my 3 yr old works van, thinking of converting it
will that be for your family camping
no mate, don’t really do camping but you could make lot of money to hire out
oh I see, you must be good with diy to take on this conversation
no not really, but you can make lots of money
well lots of people convert T6 panel vans
oh do they
yes but it will never be a California
what’s a California
conversation ends

Some Calis are just a tad over 2m (doh)!
You have to take the side awning into consideration and how level/un level the ground is under the height barrier (we just about got away with it, other than the end awning clip that didn’t)...

You have to take the side awning into consideration and how level/un level the ground is under the height barrier (we just about got away with it, other than the end awning clip that didn’t)...
You can't trust the signs, they could be a little out. Even if you THINK you can make it I would always check if I had someone with me to get out and do so.

Reactions: JDA
Back