Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tesla more valuable than Volkswagen

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Tesla has displaced Volkswagen as the world's second most valuable carmaker, after a dramatic rise in share price pushed its market value to more than $100bn

Shares rose 4% on Wednesday, making its valuation second only to Toyota.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51214824

If the share price continues to climb I might actually be able to afford one :D

...although it’s also the most shorted stock out there at the moment:(

Might have somethign to do with Elon's bonus package too hehehe Kicks in if/when $100Bn is attained for (I think) 100 days?
Ifyou can afford a cali you can afford a tesla, but you can't live in it

Might have somethign to do with Elon's bonus package too hehehe Kicks in if/when $100Bn is attained for (I think) 100 days?
Ifyou can afford a cali you can afford a tesla, but you can't live in it
And you can't go wild camping for several days in a row without the need of charging your electric California.
Now we can drive around 900km or more without worrying about refuelling, and use that same diesel for heating for days. Try that is an EV, for now.

And you can't go wild camping for several days in a row without the need of charging your electric California.
Now we can drive around 900km or more without worrying about refuelling, and use that same diesel for heating for days. Try that is an EV, for now.
If you have room for the batteries...
W1siziisijiwmtkvmdgvmtmvmtqvmtkvmtgvndyzlze1nduuanbnil0swyjwiiwidgh1bwiilci4mdb4njuwxhuwmdnjil1d

9123325a-6156-4fb7-a501-203c49eecce0.png
INDUSTRY NEWS | 2 MIN READ

• The world’s first fully electric and emission-free container barges are to set sail this autumn.
  • They have been dubbed the ‘Tesla of the canals’ as their electric motors will be driven by 20-foot batteries.
  • It is believed that the first 6 barges alone could remove a staggering 23,000 trucks a year from the roads in the Netherlands.
The world’s first fully electric and emission-free container barges are to set sail this autumn from the ports of Antwerp, Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
The vessels have been specially designed to fit under bridges to enable them to transport goods around the inland waterways of Belgium and the Netherlands. With the possibility of incorporating the technology to be able to sail crewless, the vessels are expected to revolutionise the way we transport mass goods.
They have been dubbed the ‘Tesla of the canals’ as their electric motors will be driven by 20-foot batteries which have been charged on shore by the carbon-free energy provide, Eneco. Thus, if they prove successful, the barges are expected to vastly reduce the use of diesel-powdered trucks for moving freight in the future.

Cybertruck - 500 miles range - plenty of battery for other purposes too, things are moving

repeat of .com bubble?
This was exactly my reaction on reading this news... But then I watched some more videos about ownership experiences on (fully) electric cars and begin to understand how well set Tesla are. Any electric car seems fine if you get home everynight to charge or {or can charge at work), but running a non Tesla on say a salesman's type schedule, being reliant on topping up your battery at service stations whilst you get a coffee, then you are in for a hard Time. Whereas the Tesla supercharger network is massive and underused, queues are forming for a miriad of different non Tesla chargers which often are broken or who have really complex and unreliable Apps to frustrate the experience.
I still won't be buying Tesla shares though....

This was exactly my reaction on reading this news... But then I watched some more videos about ownership experiences on (fully) electric cars and begin to understand how well set Tesla are. Any electric car seems fine if you get home everynight to charge or {or can charge at work), but running a non Tesla on say a salesman's type schedule, being reliant on topping up your battery at service stations whilst you get a coffee, then you are in for a hard Time. Whereas the Tesla supercharger network is massive and underused, queues are forming for a miriad of different non Tesla chargers which often are broken or who have really complex and unreliable Apps to frustrate the experience.
I still won't be buying Tesla shares though....
Ja, electric cars are 25% of the equation. the 75% is the (sustainable) infrastructure needed

If you have room for the batteries...
W1siziisijiwmtkvmdgvmtmvmtqvmtkvmtgvndyzlze1nduuanbnil0swyjwiiwidgh1bwiilci4mdb4njuwxhuwmdnjil1d

9123325a-6156-4fb7-a501-203c49eecce0.png
INDUSTRY NEWS | 2 MIN READ

• The world’s first fully electric and emission-free container barges are to set sail this autumn.
  • They have been dubbed the ‘Tesla of the canals’ as their electric motors will be driven by 20-foot batteries.
  • It is believed that the first 6 barges alone could remove a staggering 23,000 trucks a year from the roads in the Netherlands.
The world’s first fully electric and emission-free container barges are to set sail this autumn from the ports of Antwerp, Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
The vessels have been specially designed to fit under bridges to enable them to transport goods around the inland waterways of Belgium and the Netherlands. With the possibility of incorporating the technology to be able to sail crewless, the vessels are expected to revolutionise the way we transport mass goods.
They have been dubbed the ‘Tesla of the canals’ as their electric motors will be driven by 20-foot batteries which have been charged on shore by the carbon-free energy provide, Eneco. Thus, if they prove successful, the barges are expected to vastly reduce the use of diesel-powdered trucks for moving freight in the future.
Are those yellow things the batteries? :thumb

People complain about the cost of a new engine if something significant goes wrong but with an electrical vehicle not only do you have the cost of mechanical repairs but a 100% guarantee that in the not too distant future the cost of a replacement battery pack. That's going to impact 2nd hand prices significantly for all 2nd hand EV's.

I have not heard of a single EV replacing the battery pack yet and Tesla owners do moan! Maybe a few years down the line eh

PS: $131Bn MCAP today thanks to Panasonic results from battery manufacture at gigfactory nevada

Tesla are claiming that ‘shortly’ their battery packs and motors will be good for 1 million miles !

Not that surprising really as VW etc really do seem to have been caught napping by EV, you get the impression they thought it would blow over and everyone would stick with diesel.

The ID3 had better be good and on time or VW have problems.

Hmm.
So you can buy an Audi S4 for about £45k.
After 3 years and 36000 miles it’s worth £28k...?

Whats the price of a new Tesla and it’s value after 3 years...?

Hmm.
So you can buy an Audi S4 for about £45k.
After 3 years and 36000 miles it’s worth £28k...?

Whats the price of a new Tesla and it’s value after 3 years...?
But money is irrelevant when you are saving the world.
Apart from that humongous CO2 emission when the Tesla with its battery was manufactured...

not only do you have the cost of mechanical repairs
No transmission, no water pump, no oil pump, no fuel pump, no radiator, no valve train, no cam belt, no pistons, no rings, no intake or exhaust manifolds, no turbo, no common rail high pressure fuel injection, no Adblue, no catalytic converter, no DPF, no EGR!,...and a motor with 3 moving parts. Straw man argument.

Electrics will win out because manufacturers have realized that they can sell a car with a fraction of the parts and cost, at an even higher price than an ICE, if they can just work out the battery issues. And they will sell them at a premium, because the maintainance compared to an ICE is almost non-existant, so they will have to kiss that revenue stream goodbye (just writing that gives me goose bumps!). For them it has nothing to do with environmental awareness, which is why they will probably succeed.

Last edited:
No transmission, no water pump, no oil pump, no fuel pump, no radiator, no valve train, no cam belt, no pistons, no rings, no intake or exhaust manifolds, no turbo, no common rail high pressure fuel injection, no Adblue, no catalytic converter, no DPF, no EGR!,...and a motor with 3 moving parts. Straw man argument.

Electrics will win out because manufacturers have realized that they can sell a car with a fraction of the parts and cost, at an even higher price than an ICE, if they can just work out the battery issues. And they will sell them at a premium, because the maintainance compared to an ICE is almost non-existant, so they will have to kiss that revenue stream goodbye (just writing that gives me goose bumps!). For them it has nothing to do with environmental awareness, which is why they will probably succeed.
You make it sound like a Lego Car with an engine and a battery.
My neighbour would disagree. His is 14mths old and has spent 6 weeks in the garage with problems with the electronics, brakes, aircon and battery cooling not to mention temperature sensors on the battery pack and charging problems. With the slightly cold temperatures he couldn't even drive to London, 150 miles, without charging because using the heating system cut the range drastically. He will NOT be keeping it past the warranty date.

And realistically, unless of course you buy high milage 2nd hand vehicles, How often do you have problems with " transmission, water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, radiator, valve train, cam belt, pistons, rings, intake or exhaust manifolds, turbo, common rail high pressure fuel injection, Adblue, catalytic converter, DPF, EGR!,.". Be realistic and live in the real world/ A replacement Battery Pack will be expensive, very expensive outside warranty and it will need replacing. Also, most people will not be buying high end Teslas, just as they don't buy high end BMW, Audi, Lexus etc:

You make it sound like a Lego Car with an engine and a battery.
My neighbour would disagree. His is 14mths old and has spent 6 weeks in the garage with problems with the electronics, brakes, aircon and battery cooling not to mention temperature sensors on the battery pack and charging problems. With the slightly cold temperatures he couldn't even drive to London, 150 miles, without charging because using the heating system cut the range drastically. He will NOT be keeping it past the warranty date.

And realistically, unless of course you buy high milage 2nd hand vehicles, How often do you have problems with " transmission, water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, radiator, valve train, cam belt, pistons, rings, intake or exhaust manifolds, turbo, common rail high pressure fuel injection, Adblue, catalytic converter, DPF, EGR!,.". Be realistic and live in the real world/ A replacement Battery Pack will be expensive, very expensive outside warranty and it will need replacing. Also, most people will not be buying high end Teslas, just as they don't buy high end BMW, Audi, Lexus etc:
If you would take the time to read my post...
The whole point was about manufacturing cost, not cost of maintenance.

If you would take the time to read my post...
The whole point was about manufacturing cost, not cost of maintenance.
Well I was talking about maintenance/repair costs. Very rarely does an engine fail such that it has to be replaced. Most can be repaired even in 2nd hand vehicles. But the battery for an EV cannot be repaired and must be replaced if you wish to maintain range and would be a substantial cost in the 2nd hand market.

With regards to manufacturing costs there are a lot of " alternative " components and systems in an EV that a normal combustion vehicle doesn't have.