Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking Cali to Iceland on ferry.

J

Jonlethbridge

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just wondering if anyone has taken their Cali to Iceland and how they found the ferry trip?
I see there is a 3 day ferry trip from Hirtshals in Denmark to Iceland. Car up to 1.9 metre high and 5 metre length is one band and next band is up to 2.5 metre height and 7 metre length which means calie falls into higher band by a few centimetres! I see there is a 28 day camping card for 159 euro. Taking a van still looks less expensive than hiring. Any ideas for trip to Iceland would be great.

Ive looked into this and just couldn’t stomach three days at sea. I’ve realised I’d rather fly and the hire a campervan when there. But I’ll be watching this thread with interest!

Hi,

Have you visited Iceland / travelled beyond the main tourist areas near Reykjavik before? Comments below are based on no.

Other than some dual carriageways in Reykjavik the main ring road around the coast of the island is a one lane each way A road, in places especially at bridges it becomes one lane that you share with the infrequent traffic coming the other way. This and roads in town / routes to tourist sites are tarmac.

Much of the rest is loose gravel, and some routes have interesting pot holes. I enjoyed getting a hired Corolla up one of these routes to a glacier and promptly asked my wife never to book me a 4x4 experience as it would be a disappointment after the fun of getting a hire car up such a steep and rutted track.

If you stick to the edges a normal car/camper would be fine. I wouldn't want to take my own Cali onto the interior roads, other than the paved ones to Geysir/ Gulfoss etc.

It's an amazing place, the far West is very empty, long coastal fjord side roads. There's a ferry from near Reykjavik to bring the time/ distances down. Last time I was there they were upgrading the main route there to tarmac.

The southern side to Vik and beyond is great, very changeable landscapes, cliffs like a child would draw etc. , glaciers that are retreating quickly, lakes with icebergs in as they calf from the glacier.

The far north is empty, their second city of Akureyri has a population of 19,000 which gives some idea of the population, 340,000 people in a country bigger than England. Half of those live in greater Reykjavik. We went whale watching from Husavik and saw nothing for 3 hours, then a blue whale surfaced and made the boat seem very small. Not a common site so we got lucky.

There's quite a lot of campsites or camp grounds around the country, often for not much money, often with or near thermal swimming pools. Everything is smaller scale, supermarkets are tiny by our standards. Food isnt that expensive, alcohol is. Eating out can be eye watering cost wise. There aren't many hotels in other than in main towns and they tend to be dear. There are some youth hostels though.

We investigated the cost of ferries for a minibus when taking a youth group there many years back. We concluded it just wasn't worth the cost, especially after having to get to Norway.

If you've not been I'd recommend it.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have spent time looking up more information . It seems you can buy a 28 day camping card for about 250
Euros which pays for everything except extras such as electricity. The cost of the ferry plus cabin works out just less than the cost of hiring a calie for 2 weeks. It is possible to stop off at Faroe Islands en route to Iceland. Dust storms and wind can be a problem. On a recent trip to Scotland I met an elderly German couple who inspired me with their enthusiastic description of their trip to Iceland with non 4 wheel drive Callie.
I have not been to Iceland before but I am still very tempted . I had read about the ring road but your description of the pot holes is a bit off putting. shall look into all the details before deciding and will post a description in due course after I hopefully make this trip. Thanks for your info.

We did it but with a Landrover and roof tent, had two weeks in iceland , we did the complete circle but didnt see it all we are going back with the cali at some point, didnt find the ferry too bad, comfy cabin with a window, food was pretty good on board, book your meal tickets before you go it works out a little cheaper, we had the camping card but not all sites take it and you still have to pay an additional tax on top not really sure it was worth it at the end of the day, fuel was no more expensive than the uk but you do get a discount card of the ferry for fuel. Food and dinning out was expensive at one point we were sharing a coffee after paying around £40 for two coffees and a couple of slices of carrot cake... The ferry trip is broken by a stop in faroes and you can get off and wander about for two or three hours or stop there for a few days which is what we did on the return run. We went in June 2017 and we had all weathers from snow to clear blue skys ant tee shirts to full thermals. We also had to book twelve months in advance. All I can say its absolutely awesome, go for it...

We did it but with a Landrover and roof tent, had two weeks in iceland , we did the complete circle but didnt see it all we are going back with the cali at some point, didnt find the ferry too bad, comfy cabin with a window, food was pretty good on board, book your meal tickets before you go it works out a little cheaper, we had the camping card but not all sites take it and you still have to pay an additional tax on top not really sure it was worth it at the end of the day, fuel was no more expensive than the uk but you do get a discount card of the ferry for fuel. Food and dinning out was expensive at one point we were sharing a coffee after paying around £40 for two coffees and a couple of slices of carrot cake... The ferry trip is broken by a stop in faroes and you can get off and wander about for two or three hours or stop there for a few days which is what we did on the return run. We went in June 2017 and we had all weathers from snow to clear blue skys ant tee shirts to full thermals. We also had to book twelve months in advance. All I can say its absolutely awesome, go for it...
Thanks. So many things point to the Calie being the ideal vehicle for Farnes and Iceland. I am particularly interested that you took a land rover and how important was the 4 wheel drive. It sounds as though 4 wheel drive is only needed for the F roads of the interior. But with the low ground clearance of the calie I would not want to go to risky places where the van could easily be damaged. But then it would be exciting to drive to more remote areas that do not actually entail crossing deep water as seen on you tube! I would be interested did you drive on F roads. If so how important was 4 wheel drive - mandatory on f roads- and diff lock if you had to use diff lock. Did you ever find you would have been stuck with no diff lock? . I recently purchased a 4 motion vehicle from stock. I decided to accept that it did not have the diff lock function, and now I am wondering if I may live to regret that when I find myself stuck in mud somewhere. On the positive side I will be less likely to take risks in a vehicle with low ground clearance, and I think 4 motion will be excellent on winter roads in Iceland and elsewhere. Will be especially interested to hear from you as you have the experience of taking a land rover . Thanks .

Thanks. So many things point to the Calie being the ideal vehicle for Farnes and Iceland. I am particularly interested that you took a land rover and how important was the 4 wheel drive. It sounds as though 4 wheel drive is only needed for the F roads of the interior. But with the low ground clearance of the calie I would not want to go to risky places where the van could easily be damaged. But then it would be exciting to drive to more remote areas that do not actually entail crossing deep water as seen on you tube! I would be interested did you drive on F roads. If so how important was 4 wheel drive - mandatory on f roads- and diff lock if you had to use diff lock. Did you ever find you would have been stuck with no diff lock? . I recently purchased a 4 motion vehicle from stock. I decided to accept that it did not have the diff lock function, and now I am wondering if I may live to regret that when I find myself stuck in mud somewhere. On the positive side I will be less likely to take risks in a vehicle with low ground clearance, and I think 4 motion will be excellent on winter roads in Iceland and elsewhere. Will be especially interested to hear from you as you have the experience of taking a land rover . Thanks .
Possibly the only f road we drove was to some remote green oaisis where GOF was filmed and standard vehicles were getting there ok, It was a td5 disco with no diff lock anyway, dont even recall using low box at any time. Most of the f roads were still closed at the time we were there so didn't venture too far off tthe beaten track although we did drive quiet a number of dirt roads as its really only the main ring and the towns which are tarmac'ed and we never even came close to a river crossing all were bridged. The majority of vehicles most of which are hire cars are a standard everday car and they are getting around without any issues. The LR was our only vehicle so thats why we used it but we came back with camper van envy hence we now have the cali. Unless you desire to really go deep into the interior well off the tourist track I think good ground clearance and 4wd is must, other than that I cant see any problem. We will at some point go back with the cali with the intention of spending at least three weeks over there. Only mods that I will consider before going is a set of steel wheels and some tougher rubber.

We went some years ago, but hired a car and took camping gear, drove road the whole island. Roads can be a bit ropey in some areas but nothing to bad. Interior roads will be worse I suspect, from what I remember you had to have a 4x4 for some of them, weather dictated if some were open or not.
We went in June and some bits were still closed. Got caught speeding in the middle of nowhere, which was hilarious.
Lived on pasta and porridge for most of our trip, as found food expensive, did have a few meals out as a treat.
It's a fantastic place, waking up in front of waterfalls or the bottom of a glacier, best 2 weeks of sleep ever.
Did a trip to the westman isles to see the puffins, crawled down on our bellies and could get within a few feet of them.
If we had the time would love another trip there.

The most important point is to have good tires !
As soon as you leave the main road, for example to see a glacier more closely, the roads are gravel. In June last year, we had 3 punctures in 3 weeks. Our tires were the original Turenza, completely unsuitable for driving off the tarmac.

Thanks. Three punctures in three weeks! That could be quite a problem , having to get a spare tyre mended time and time again! Something else to bear in mind.

We went some years ago, but hired a car and took camping gear, drove road the whole island. Roads can be a bit ropey in some areas but nothing to bad. Interior roads will be worse I suspect, from what I remember you had to have a 4x4 for some of them, weather dictated if some were open or not.
We went in June and some bits were still closed. Got caught speeding in the middle of nowhere, which was hilarious.
Lived on pasta and porridge for most of our trip, as found food expensive, did have a few meals out as a treat.
It's a fantastic place, waking up in front of waterfalls or the bottom of a glacier, best 2 weeks of sleep ever.
Did a trip to the westman isles to see the puffins, crawled down on our bellies and could get within a few feet of them.
If we had the time would love another trip there.
Great image of the puffin. Thanks for info.

I notice you said you booked 12 months in advance and you went in June which I think Is a bit before the busiest time. I am surprised it needs such a long delay. Seems that it may be necessary to go out of season to go sooner ?

I notice you said you booked 12 months in advance and you went in June which I think Is a bit before the busiest time. I am surprised it needs such a long delay. Seems that it may be necessary to go out of season to go sooner ?
Your right the intention was to avoid the hieght of the season as it looks like it gets very crowded, even then some of the campsites were full and not all have enough facilities to cope with the amount of visitors, some have superb new amenity blocks and others leave a bit to be desired.

We went there in our Cali in 2016. Did a lot of the highland F-roads and river crossings. See our thread with foto‘s and a movie on this forum, to get an impression.
End of summer is best, we think: less busy and cheaper than high season, and less still closed roads because of snow than in early season. And a better chance to see the Northern Lights!
Don‘t take the camping card. You don’t know where the weather will drive you, and just as many campsites don’t take the card as do, and are cheaper.
Faeroer on either way is a DO! When else will you get there, ever? And it breaks the tedious sea voyage. The other leg we would not take the ferry again, but ship the van from Reykjavik and fly. About the same cost.

Last edited:
The most important point is to have good tires !
As soon as you leave the main road, for example to see a glacier more closely, the roads are gravel. In June last year, we had 3 punctures in 3 weeks. Our tires were the original Turenza, completely unsuitable for driving off the tarmac.

We don't have a 4motion and planning as well to go next July/August. And have a few questions.
of course F roads will be off limits but we want to equip the vehicle with better tyres than the original. I read of someone using the Michelin Latitude. Any other recommendation?

Did you bring 4 or 5 tyres?

I am not a big fan of camping places, but read that it's rather illegal to stop in parkings around and pass the night. Did you always go to camping grounds? Or it is more policy but there is not really anyone to check about sleeping in the vehicle?

. The other leg we would not take the ferry again, but ship the van from Reykjavik and fly. About the same cost.

What company does that? And where does it ship it to? Any info appreciated

What company does that? And where does it ship it to? Any info appreciated
Samskip, the Icelandic freight company. I don’t know where they all ship from, but they sail once a week from Rotterdam, that’s what we would use. The Cali goes in a container. No doubt they ship from places in the UK as well. Liverpool?

We don't have a 4motion and planning as well to go next July/August. And have a few questions.
of course F roads will be off limits but we want to equip the vehicle with better tyres than the original. I read of someone using the Michelin Latitude. Any other recommendation?

I am not a big fan of camping places, but read that it's rather illegal to stop in parkings around and pass the night. Did you always go to camping grounds? Or it is more policy but there is not really anyone to check about sleeping in the vehicle?
We did wild camp on a few occasions without any bother.

Samskip, the Icelandic freight company. I don’t know where they all ship from, but they sail once a week from Rotterdam, that’s what we would use. The Cali goes in a container. No doubt they ship from places in the UK as well. Liverpool?

Based in Austria :)

If you leave the ring road (nr1) you will almost always be on gravel roads. And it's very interesting to do it. On these roads it is advisable to adjust the tire pressure. Whoever is the best advice on this forum is @bvddobb.
On his advice, and after much information, I have installed Michelin Latitude Cross which is the best compromise for road riding and occasionally off road. I tested them on very bad roads in Croatia and I am delighted.
It is essential to start with at least 5 wheels, the rescue wheel can be equipped with another tire. In my case my spare wheel is one of my wheels with winter tire. When I return to Iceland I will take 2 spare wheels, but I do not have anything to carry it for the moment.
Before leaving, it is essential to try the change of wheel to see if all your equipment is suitable. And practice getting the spare wheel out of the car, which is by far the most difficult step in the process.

When I return to Iceland I will take 2 spare wheels, but I do not have anything to carry it for the moment.
You do not necessarily need to carry two complete wheels with tyres. Heavy and bulky. We carry a complete spare wheel on the back for easy access (it may prove very difficult when running a flat on a track to get the spare from underneath), and then just an additional tyre underneath. Less weight, less bulk.
Whenever we need the spare wheel, we can then find some tyre repair shop that can either repair the flat, or mount the additional tyre on the wheel. Having to order a replacement tyre may cost you quite some waiting time... Better to have an additional one with you!

So I understand you have 4x 17" latitude (cross?!) mounted + 1x17" latitude mounted on the back and one spare tyre unmounted underneath. Does it fit the 17" unmounted underneath? So I understand it would be best to start with 6 tyres in total to be safe.