Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Iceland Road Trip 2015

lakelander

lakelander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
ICELAND ROAD TRIP – 4 WEEKS - JULY/AUG 2015
Saw a great post on Corsica and thought this might be helpful.

Norrona Ferry –
take a travel kettle and snacks.
Camping Card Iceland
Only worth buying if you are definitely going to the towns/villages where the specific sites are. They are few and far between considering how many campsites there are on the island.
Wild camping is not allowed.
The showers at many campsites tend to be very basic. However, the majority of villages/towns have their own pools with hot pots and it is cheaper to go for a swim/shower than to use those at campsites. Note: The shower before and after your swim has to be taken naked and you must wear swimwear in the pool!!
There are very few natural windbreaks on campsites and its very windy! Also, they tend to be stony/rocky – glad we weren’t in a tent.
Camping Gaz bottles
Not available in Iceland! We took 2 full bottles, (assuming refills would be possible) but as the trip was 6 weeks bought a large BP gas bottle for cooking outside, reserving the others for cooking inside when the weather was bad.
Brandrup ISO-TOP
Windproof and waterproof. The translated instructions aren’t particularly good, but we didn’t find it that difficult to fit.
Kept the top warm, dry and a little darker, though it did get dark by 11pm.
Duvalay toppers
Duvalay will make a topper to fit both the rocknroll bed and in the pop-up
We took the original mattress out of the pop-up and just used the Duvalay.
With an all seasons quilt – perfect for the summer nights.
Iceland Road Guide – www.icelandroadguide.com
THE ‘must have’ book for a trip!!
Also if wanting to go hikiing - the Rother guide.
Would not bother taking bikes.
Roads – N1– is mostly tarmaced but you can suddenly come across gravel tracks.
The majority of small roads are gravel.
Mountain roads are mostly gravel with many corrugations and the highland roads are compulsory 4wd – these are the ‘F’ roads. www.road.is for regular updates. Many river crossings,
We had modified air intake, raised suspension, Cooper M and S tyres and underbody protection.
Shopping
Supermarkets in the main towns – Egilsstadir, Selfoss, Reykjavik, Akureyri.
Seydisfjordur has a small shop but would wait until Egilsstadir as they have 2 large supermarkets.
Some small towns/petrol stations have shops but you can go a few days without seeing any.
The Icelandic hot dogs with dried onions were a lunchtime favourite. (With toasted rolls!)
Petrol stations
The Iceland Road Guide shows them all on the maps. The majority are unmanned - use debit/credit cards for payment.
Vin Budin – the off-licences open for limited times. Alcohol is not sold in supermarkets/shops
Icelandic Bank holidays
Avoid the main road campsites – they party all night!
Eating out
In 4 weeks we ate out just 4 times! Twice at a pizza in Akureyri, a
restaurant at Laugavatn near Pingvellir. The best by far was the Fjoruburdid at Stokkseyri on the south coast near Reykjavik. As the adverts say - ‘by the sea and a delicious lobster’ – it certainly was!!

Would love to go back next year!

Thankx for the tips , there is a member here who is preparing his Cali to go to Iceland .
We would love to see pictures of your trip!?

hi, if you look up "how extreme have you been" thread on here there are some pics if they are still up !!

hi, if you look up "how extreme have you been" thread on here there are some pics if they are still up !!

Yes now realise , i saw that post for sure back then , did not realised yesterday you posted pics. there ....that tread been sleeping since october.
Just went and looked again , great pics! And your Cali looks cool with that airintake and roofrack!

Doing a 11 day trip sans Cali (hotels :shocked) early May; if we like it I wonder if a little time away as you describe might be fun!

Hi lakelander,

You wrote: Wildcamping - not allowed. We camped wild for 2 weeks in 2007 and I loved it - there are great locations to camp wild (e.g. on the shore of Jokulsarlon the glacier lagoon) where there is absolutely no accommodation or campsite nearby.
But we were travelling car + tent at that time.

Looking up the law, it says:
“Camping with no more than three tents is allowed on uncultivated ground for a single night, unless the landowner has posted a notice to the contrary. However, campers should always use designated campsites where they do exist. Do not camp close to farms without permission. If a group of more than three tents is involved, these campers must seek permission from the landowner before setting up camp outside marked campsite areas.”

Are Cali's considered campers? Guess they are... unfortunately.
I guess Cali owners could take a tent for those nights when you want to camp wild.

Update: just read that the law was changed in 2013. That explains...
So only wild camping when hiking with a tent (no motorized vehicle, pretty clear).

A pity, but I can understand given the amount of tourists which are now flooding iceland.

And no wild camping in the nature reserves/national parks either. Also not when hiking.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Hi Lakelander,

I understand you did not have the raised gearbox and differential vents from Seikel installed. Did you pass through water deeper than 30cm? If so, did you experience any issues since this trip?
Or did you have the gearbox/differential oiling checked after you came home?

I have to decide for my own trip to Iceland if it's worth the EUR 800 Seikel is charing plus the trip and time to them.
Perhaps a couple of fords is not such a big deal after all?

I would still raise the diesel air intake though.

Hi Lakelander,

I understand you did not have the raised gearbox and differential vents from Seikel installed. Did you pass through water deeper than 30cm? If so, did you experience any issues since this trip?
Or did you have the gearbox/differential oiling checked after you came home?

I have to decide for my own trip to Iceland if it's worth the EUR 800 Seikel is charing plus the trip and time to them.
Perhaps a couple of fords is not such a big deal after all?

I would still raise the diesel air intake though.[/QUOTE

Hi, sorry did not reply earlier, just the snorkel at the time and the raised Suspention and bigger tyres. Water depth at worst was about a meter which came up to the start of the bonnet and we had no problems other than fog lights half full of water, river crossings were at worst 30 meters wide, BUT since then I have driven through floods in the lakes which were a lot worse and have now opted for the gearbox vents etc. So depending on you time of year and level of water crossings if not too deep (1 meter) and short ish then ok but longer and deeper crossings then gearbox bent too. The video only shows the sorter crossings as the big crossings once was enough. Thanks

Thanks!
So did you have the oil of the differentials and gearbox checked after the iceland trip or floods?

Are you going for the Seikel vents now? Or is there an alternative. Seikel is far, and it's a bit complex for a DIY installation.

Thanks!
So did you have the oil of the differentials and gearbox checked after the iceland trip or floods?

Are you going for the Seikel vents now? Or is there an alternative. Seikel is far, and it's a bit complex for a DIY installation.

Did not have checks done after Iceland as no sign of any problems. Decided after the floods that they were so bad that I should invested in Seikel vents which I have but not fitted yet, two choices- fit in situ or with the gearbox removed -and I won't be doing this myself, looking for a reliable garage in U.K. Or France, who have experience of this in going this.

Did the Seikel vents come with instructions from the garage?

Did the Seikel vents come with instructions from the garage?

Ordered through VW Coast (an importer of Seikel in U.K.) and have not looked for instructions as there is a triple vent pipes for my vw