Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 California Hybrid to be presented in June 2021?

It’s the replacement for the Sharan and Multivan.
yeah, the more I think about it, the more I start believing that the California will remain on the T6.1 platform, or whatever comes next in the commercial vehicle line.

yeah, the more I think about it, the more I start believing that the California will remain on the T6.1 platform, or whatever comes next in the commercial vehicle line.
Might it be a Ford?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the California and Nugget sharing the same base vehicle...
Doesn’t mean the inside of California and Nugget will start to look alike, though.

Well what ever it is, it doesn't look Cali suitable! Furthermore I doubt if it will ever be a Cali either, mainly due to the development costs involved. Frankly, that's good because the it's butt ugly!

Last edited:
The linked article states:

"What is certain is that there will be a camping version called California based on the T7"

Maybe they are wrong, but they do use 'certain' (Sicher ist).

This is the only good photo of the T7, being nudged by a 6.1! It's an utter dog. Hurts my eyes.

1618480077160.png

This is the only good photo of the T7, being nudged by a 6.1! It's an utter dog. Hurts my eyes.

View attachment 76750
Haha, I think you are being a tad dramatic. I too prefer the look of the old van, but they are not that far apart in design. New one does look smaller from that angle, but if I read the article correctly it's longer than the T6, just not as high.

Ground clearance does look much lower though, that will be a problem for some unless they put the 4MO version on stilts

Haha, I think you are being a tad dramatic. I too prefer the look of the old van, but they are not that far apart in design. New one does look smaller from that angle, but if I read the article correctly it's longer than the T6, just not as high.

Ground clearance does look much lower though, that will be a problem for some unless they put the 4MO version on stilts
Looks really nice from this angle :oops:

1618480670867.png

The linked article states:

"What is certain is that there will be a camping version called California based on the T7"

Maybe they are wrong, but they do use 'certain' (Sicher ist).
True... which makes it even more strange in my opinion.
Because at the same time, it’s also stated in different articles that it is based on the car platform which isn’t suited for heavy payloads. And hence the reason VW already announced to keep the 6.1 van in parallel for a few more years. As far as I know, the california transformation adds quite some weight, so it all doesn’t seem logical.

If the T7 is also going to double as Sharan, I might be interested in it for our next family car. Seems like a similar move Opel/vauxhall did with the Zafira.

Fuel cap where the water filler was? I can see that leading to problems.

In all the threads where T7 is mentiont there’s not one picture of a verhicle suiteble to fit a kitchen and bed . Not high enough and/or to short wheelbase.
There will be no T7 California on that verhicle platform.
VW might be thinking to end the California ?

VW have stated there will be a T7 California

In all the threads where T7 is mentiont there’s not one picture of a verhicle suiteble to fit a kitchen and bed . Not high enough and/or to short wheelbase.
There will be no T7 California on that verhicle platform.
VW might be thinking to end the California ?
I thought that too when I first saw the pic. But reading this:

"Die Karosserie wird etwas länger und das Dach circa sechs Zentimeter gesenkt"
translation: The body is a little longer and the roof roughly six centimeters lower

The pics do suggest a much lower ground clearance, so internal height may be about the same. With no word on width and a suggestion that it's a little longer, interior space volume may again be roughly equal.

Ultimately we won't know until VW shows their cards, we can only speculate. I would have thought remaining on the commercial vehicle platform would make more sense for something like a California, but what do I know. I just want a Cali that will fit in my garage, and the T6.1 isn't it. So I'm hoping for a T7 California with that suggested 1.93cm vehicle height.

Try comparing it to the Marco Polo. 4 berth Campervan, a little longer and lower than the T6, so it can be done.
After all the complaints regarding the Marco Polo were all related to the over complicated electric bed and storage of outside table and chairs, not the internal room etc.
If they utilise the on board power pack instead of separate Leisure Batteries then it could work very well. There is scope for weight saving.
We will just have to see, but with the T6. 1 officially being taller than 2m, Apparantly, a true sub 2m California could be a benefit.
I'm not that concerned about the external appearance as long as it performs well on the road and in camping mode.

True... which makes it even more strange in my opinion.
Because at the same time, it’s also stated in different articles that it is based on the car platform which isn’t suited for heavy payloads. And hence the reason VW already announced to keep the 6.1 van in parallel for a few more years. As far as I know, the california transformation adds quite some weight, so it all doesn’t seem logical.

If the T7 is also going to double as Sharan, I might be interested in it for our next family car. Seems like a similar move Opel/vauxhall did with the Zafira.
Let's face it VW are calling everything a California at the moment. That name is a nice little earner.

VW have stated there will be a T7 California
There are currently three sizes of California, unbedeutend, Perfekt and über aufgeblasen. The T7 could be the "münter" version. Assuming that the T7 will be a direct replacement to the current T6-1 is pure just speculation.

There are currently three sizes of California, unbedeutend, Perfekt and über aufgeblasen. The T7 could be the "münter" version. Assuming that the T7 will be a direct replacement to the current T6-1 is pure just speculation.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :thumb

A 4th California, between the Caddy and T6.1, it could be possible. Citroën and Toyota also have a slightly smaller camper now in that segment (the Campster by Pössl).
In my opinion just too small if you want a Beach-like camper like we do with our 3 kids.

The future will tell!

Let's face it VW are calling everything a California at the moment. That name is a nice little earner.

True
No way are Volkswagen dropping the California brand. If anything it’s expanding, with the Grand and Caddy California...

Back