Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7-based California announced for end of 2023

The new Cali could be a hybrid: diesel/petrol and electricity. According to a VW press sheet (cited by the website vw-bulli.de):

see:vw-bulli.de/geschichten/california-concept-ausblick-auf-die-zukunft-der-baureihe

Marc.
vw uk press release confirms lwb multivan as next generation California and to be built in Hanover. At least its not at Ford's Turkey plant.

Latest update ahead of the launch at Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf. First impression of this sketch is that it looks promising. Presumably the twin sliding doors would be for a ‘Beach’ version, similar to the Beach Tour.

View attachment 112425
I don’t think that 2 awnings necessarily means 2 sliding doors? I sometimes put our Hillcrest Tarp on the passenger side when we have the awning room set up on the drivers side.

You’ll notice in the picture that there are no awning arms on the left.

I don’t think that 2 awnings necessarily means 2 sliding doors? I sometimes put our Hillcrest Tarp on the passenger side when we have the awning room set up on the drivers side.

You’ll notice in the picture that there are no awning arms on the left.
Yes, but thats a LHD Multivan and there wouldn't be a single sliding door on the drivers side. All the press even the factory spiel says twin rear doors.

@GrumpyGranddad the text in the official UK press release (link below) hints at two doors:

On board the California CONCEPT, this display will be transformed into a screen in tablet format and show a new smart side of this camper van. And by the way: no one has ever claimed that a California should have only one sliding door. The Caravan Salon 2023 will certainly be exciting.

Potentially interesting feature. This looks like the side of a wardrobe to me, but who knows

1691171452197.jpeg

A new control panel for the rear AC system? Possibly with lighting control.
Or the new version of the camper panel introduced in the T6.1

@GrumpyGranddad the text in the official UK press release (link below) hints at two doors:

On board the California CONCEPT, this display will be transformed into a screen in tablet format and show a new smart side of this camper van. And by the way: no one has ever claimed that a California should have only one sliding door. The Caravan Salon 2023 will certainly be exciting.

According to the article the Multivan based California will be based on the hybrid version!

The California CONCEPT also offers the advantages of plug-in hybrid technology for even more flexibility and a remarkable level of comfort on the road. It is powerful, economical and stands for future-oriented and responsible mobility with its all-electric range. At the same time, its long-distance suitability provides security when driving away from major traffic routes.”

They’ll probably use middle rails for a teeny tiny slide along kitchen! It’s also going to look a bit odd with two wind out awnings on either side

First time I hear about this "California on tour" app for the 6.1.

Can find it on here but not available in the app store on my phone, so only for Deutschland?
I have just installed it and it runs, I haven’t added my vehicle yet though.

They’ll probably use middle rails for a teeny tiny slide along kitchen! It’s also going to look a bit odd with two wind out awnings on either side
Two awnings is going to increase the cost.

"display will be transformed into a screen in tablet format and show "

What could go wrong?
Probably nothing as they have been using the T6.1 as a " proof of concept " test vehicle.

Which might make his life easier as a converter, but there is still high demand for a "VeeDub" camper from the customer base - simply, other vans just aren't as desirable. I suspect too that actually most conversions are of used vans (albeit fairly young vans still) so those issues you mention around lead times and spec issues are immaterial as people buy what they see.

It’s down to profit margins for them.
They can source other makes easier and convert for a higher profit margin and still come in a lot cheaper than a Volkswagen.

The simple truth is, VW has become far too expensive for most UK families.
I personally would stick with the VW, then again, my last purchase was a Fiat van, which sort of confirms what I’m saying…

It could have a California Ocean style kitchen/wardrobe, but I do wonder if there is enough width inside.
In the LWB version there is certainly enough length in the living area, which according to the specs is 2625mm long. That gives VW plenty of scope to create the next generation California interior :)

At nearly 5.3m long though it too long for me living in London. :(

Queuing to board the Pont Aven ferry to Santander on Wednesday it was striking just how many T5, T6, conversions and Calis there were. They had us all lined up together and then pretty much filled the lower deck.
I think VW campers of all varieties are more popular than ever.

Queuing to board the Pont Aven ferry to Santander on Wednesday it was striking just how many T5, T6, conversions and Calis there were. They had us all lined up together and then pretty much filled the lower deck.
I think VW campers of all varieties are more popular than ever.
Hardly saw any in France back in May. The T6 and T6.1 are a rare sight in Hannover, except parked up around the factories :)

Hardly saw any in France back in May. The T6 and T6.1 are a rare sight in Hannover, except parked up around the factories :)

I concur.
Saw a few Volks, but 6m plus vans seem to be the norm over the continent

The concept of a new generation of the California camper van will make its world premiere at the Caravan Salon Düsseldorf (25 August – 3 September).

The future generation of the California will be based on the long Multivan and will continue to be produced by Volkswagen in Hanover, Germany, and is scheduled to be built from 2024 onwards.
On LinkedIn from
Aboutcampbtob.eu

Back