Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7-based California announced for end of 2023

I just stumbled upon this video, was about to post and then noticed someone had already done so. Can't believe there are not more replies to this thread from everyone else...

Not the best of thread titles in fairness ;)

Cali Chris claims that in a recent press release, VW announced that a T7-based California would be released in 2024 (first VW ever mentions this AFAIK) and that the ID Buzz-based California, already announced for the second half of the decade, will come in 2025.

I wasn’t able to find any VW press release mentioning this or any mention of this on any official VW channel. I did find a few press articles taking about these announcements having been made at a VW event but their wording were quite woolly, particularly around the ID Buzz Cali release date (Google “California Universe” and see by yourself). If someone has found an official VW source, let us know.

After a bit of digging I have found the source. Cali Chris is referencing the Annual Press Conference that was held in March, so not exactly ‘hot off the press’.

Watch from about 31:40.

Not much in it apart from stating there will be a T7 based California later in 2023, which I presume would mean delivery some time in 2024.

IMG_2373.jpeg

@Kayleigh if you renamed that thread “T7-based California announced for end of 2023” you might have the forum’s latest trolltastic epic thousand-post+ thread in your hands :bananadance2

@Kayleigh if you renamed that thread “T7-based California announced for end of 2023” you might have the forum’s latest trolltastic epic thousand-post+ thread in your hands :bananadance2
OK… just for you :)

Pics and full details of the T7 Multi-Cali will be announced at the caravan Salon in August. Not long to wait @soulstyledevon

I was quick to write it off, but after Tarquers put up the size differences. I think it’s a possibility…
Be interesting to see if Volkswagen make any significant changes or just try and cram the old receipt in there and stick another £10k on the price :headbang

Are the new multivans rails flush to the floor…?

Latest update ahead of the launch at Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf. First impression of this sketch is that it looks promising. Presumably the twin sliding doors would be for a ‘Beach’ version, similar to the Beach Tour.

90B1FF72-1CEF-41FA-86C8-D2B172E4ECEA.jpeg

Latest update ahead of the launch at Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf. First impression of this sketch is that it looks promising. Presumably the twin sliding doors would be for a ‘Beach’ version, similar to the Beach Tour.

View attachment 112425
Hopefully a hybrid in the range, even if it is only a 2 berth.

I’m wondering if this is just one of the future California models to come as part of the ‘California universe’ - The California concept on the Multivan, then next year another California on the new T7 … I do question how many variants do they really need?

I’m wondering if this is just one of the future California models to come as part of the ‘California universe’ - The California concept on the Multivan, then next year another California on the new T7 … I do question how many variants do they really need?
This Multivan could be the new Beach variant with minimalist camping features.

Something I've been pondering; I wonder what the margin is like on a Transporter vs a Cali . . . given the complexity of a Cali and the "warranty burden" eroding any margin (e.g. bellows claims!), I wonder if VW will actually bin a "full fat camper" and instead deliver what are effectively part-conversions that some will be happy with out of the box and others will take to 3rd party converters to take to the standard they want? I don't think there's likely to be any slowing of VW vans becoming campers, I just wonder if VW will rinse their hands of the full complexity of a laden Ocean type vehicle and let a third party do it (and worry about the reliability).

First time I hear about this "California on tour" app for the 6.1.

Can find it on here but not available in the app store on my phone, so only for Deutschland?

Something I've been pondering; I wonder what the margin is like on a Transporter vs a Cali . . . given the complexity of a Cali and the "warranty burden" eroding any margin (e.g. bellows claims!), I wonder if VW will actually bin a "full fat camper" and instead deliver what are effectively part-conversions that some will be happy with out of the box and others will take to 3rd party converters to take to the standard they want? I don't think there's likely to be any slowing of VW vans becoming campers, I just wonder if VW will rinse their hands of the full complexity of a laden Ocean type vehicle and let a third party do it (and worry about the reliability).
GRP manual roof would solve alot of issues.

A guy I know who converts Volkswagen panel vans to campers are trying to move away from the brand.
To many issues for them as a converter, coupled with excessively long delivery times and missing spec on delivered vans.

A guy I know who converts Volkswagen panel vans to campers are trying to move away from the brand.
To many issues for them as a converter, coupled with excessively long delivery times and missing spec on delivered vans.
Which might make his life easier as a converter, but there is still high demand for a "VeeDub" camper from the customer base - simply, other vans just aren't as desirable. I suspect too that actually most conversions are of used vans (albeit fairly young vans still) so those issues you mention around lead times and spec issues are immaterial as people buy what they see.

I suspect most converters would like to move away from VW but it’s what the market wants so it would be a brave move. No doubt they can build a more practical and cheaper camper on other base vehicles such as the Transit but as yet nothing gets near a Transporter as a 'Swiss army knife' package. The collab with Ford is going to be interesting for the sector, if you look at the new Amarok it’s basically a Ranger with a nicer cabin (nearly all panels are the same), will VW be able to continue to get a premium and brand loyalty for the T7 on essentially a rebadge alone?

Personally I have never really liked the aesthetics of the Transit nor pretty much any other van! Even the current Transit I find looks a bit mis-proportioned and awkward, as for the front - urgh, it's more than a bit Marmite. Of course, no doubt the Transit community say the Transporter is boring and plain looking. I don't think the market will move away from the history and cult status of the VW bus as a brand though. Now what really would be an interesting move would be if VW decides they aren't going down the full-camper route, if they actually instead made a line of "conversion-ready" Transporters/Multivans basically engineered to be easier to convert. That said, small(er) market than a basic van.

The German car magazine ProMobil today has a story on the "T7" on the basis of the new Multivan. It's in German, but Google Translate is your friend.

It shows the same artist impression of the new Cali as in page #9 of this thread.

The story also states, that the last T6.1 will be produced mid 2024, but it is already not possible to buy that van, as the dealers are fully booked right now.

The new Cali will be presented at the Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf this August. It has a long wheel base lenght of 5.14 metres and sliding doors on both sides, so the kitchen will be a problem. It will be completely manifactured in Hannover, the magazine is stating.

VW-T7-Multivan-2021--169FullWidth-8401652b-1802942.jpg

The new Multivan was announced in 2021 in several versions. The model 1,4-eHybrid OPF (long wheel base) could have one of three engines: petrol, diesel and electric, as the magazine mentions.

It seems all speculation untill now.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

We had our Cali in for a service at our local vw car place, asked if we could have a look in the demo Buzz. The salesman duly obliged and in conversation we asked if a California Buzz was a definate. Obviously it is a car dealership but the salesman had heard through the grapevine that the release date was 2025.

The new Cali could be a hybrid: diesel/petrol and electricity. According to a VW press sheet (cited by the website vw-bulli.de):

For the first time, the California CONCEPT offers the advantages of plug-in hybrid technology for even more flexibility and remarkable comfort on the road. On the one hand, it is powerful, economical and, with its purely electric range, stands for future-oriented and responsible mobility. On the other hand, its suitability for long distances offers safety away from the central routes. After all, it's not just the neighbors on the parking lot who enjoy the hybrid drive when you glide past them almost silently.

see:vw-bulli.de/geschichten/california-concept-ausblick-auf-die-zukunft-der-baureihe

Marc.

Back