Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 TO T6.1

@apreading I agree on the touchscreen, I have the Pro version and although I like the big screen it's quite annoying to first go to the menu and then radio for instance. I would have preferred a physical button to switch to radio, navigation, carplay etc.

I like the digital cockpit though! It's nice how you can change the layout, for instance I have the altitude in my dials now!

Like the Wireless Carplay a lot as well!
You can keep the radio in view and changing stations an volume can be done from buttons on the steering wheel

It doesn't necessarily follow that newer is always better. Leaving aside the usual massive price differential when replacing like with a newer like, one has to consider the commercial pressure to replace the older model with something that is cheaper and more efficient to produce. IMO this dubious process is something that shows with the T6-1. Yes there have been a few improvements but on the whole I would suggest that most changes were designed more to please the accountant than the customer.
I took a very close look at the forthcoming changes in the then newly announced T6-1 before ordering one of the very last T6s. I don't regret that decision for a second.

It doesn't necessarily follow that newer is always better. Leaving aside the usual massive price differential when replacing like with a newer like, one has to consider the commercial pressure to replace the older model with something that is cheaper and more efficient to produce. IMO this dubious process is something that shows with the T6-1. Yes there have been a few improvements but on the whole I would suggest that most changes were designed more to please the accountant than the customer.
I took a very close look at the forthcoming changes in the then newly announced T6-1 before ordering one of the very last T6s. I don't regret that decision for a second.
The big price difference is in the items that were options int6 and standard in t6.1. Some of us wish the cali could still be ordered,without these options but they are part of car evolution: dsg, led headlights, digital cockpit, parking sensors, rear camera..
In the past I had the same objections against central locking, electric windows, servo steering, parkign sensors, led headlights… I managed to drive without it so why pay extra for something you don’t need and get broken. But once you have it , its hard to imagine that there was a time we could do without.
I can't agree that all those changes serve more to keep the seller than the customer happy.
There are also a lot minor changes nowhere described in response to customer complaints on fora like this one.
fronts seats can turn without opening front doors
cupboard above rear seat opens/closes very easy now
slide window above kitchen same story, complete redesigned
electric sliding door opens/ closes whispering silent
bottom of vehicle well protected with sturdy plastic : look here:
first 5 min
no need to push away rear view mirror to close front curtains
+ the modifications and improvements clearly described in brochure…
It is a safer and more comfortable vehicle than ever before.

It probably was a good decision not to buy the first t6.1 when it appeared on the market but today it is probably the better choice than waiting for the first t7..

Last edited:
And then there’s the lower emissions and better fuel economy, RDE2 (inc biofuel capability) and ULEZ compliance

Was the T6 even available in the UK as a Coast model? I like to pick and choose my options and the Coast offered me that choice. Why should I pay extra for features like the digital dash that does nought for me.

I dont like the new design if the T6.1 either. Only touch controls and no quick buttons like radio etc would drive me crazy. I also like traditional dials more than displays that will look dated in a few years. Still VW has not adapted to what Apple announced many years ago, ie navigation info in the speedo display. Now Apple improved it even more and even the T6.1 will be stuck without the true next gen tech.
Browsing some real world consumption data comparing german T6 vs T6.1 shows no difference in consumption. I will certainly wait until something truly better arrives. And it cant be produced by Ford either. Maybe have to go the MB larger vans and build something myself.

no quick buttons like radio etc would drive me crazy.......... Still VW has not adapted to what Apple announced many years ago, ie navigation info in the speedo display.
Yes there is, left hand side of the screen on the Discover media Pro version a shortcut button to the radio, along with other shortcut buttons. On the none Pro version its a physical button in the same place.

Yes they have with the digital dash you can have the nav filling almost all the display in front of the driver, or just the space between the dials, or as display inside one of the dials.

Have you actually seen a T6.1?

Last edited:
The big price difference is in the items that were options int6 and standard in t6.1. Some of us wish the cali could still be ordered,without these options but they are part of car evolution: dsg, led headlights, digital cockpit, parking sensors, rear camera..
In the past I had the same objections against central locking, electric windows, servo steering, parkign sensors, led headlights… I managed to drive without it so why pay extra for something you don’t need and get broken. But once you have it , its hard to imagine that there was a time we could do without.
I can't agree that all those changes serve more to keep the seller than the customer happy.
There are also a lot minor changes nowhere described in response to customer complaints on fora like this one.
fronts seats can turn without opening front doors
cupboard above rear seat opens/closes very easy now
slide window above kitchen same story, complete redesigned
electric sliding door opens/ closes whispering silent
bottom of vehicle well protected with sturdy plastic : look here:
first 5 min
no need to push away rear view mirror to close front curtains
+ the modifications and improvements clearly described in brochure…
It is a safer and more comfortable vehicle than ever before.

It probably was a good decision not to buy the first t6.1 when it appeared on the market but today it is probably the better choice than waiting for the first t7..
I did say " leaving aside the usual massive price differential when replacing like with a newer like".

My point was that most goods produced these days are produced down to a cost. This usually involves much bean counting. If a manufacturer can shave a few cents off a component here and a euro or two off something else there then when multiplied by the numbers of completed units produced through out a production run, they can save a small fortune. So naturally there is always the urge to revisit this issue everytime a new or upgraded model is developed. If they can also convince their customers that these changes represent significant improvements then they stand a good chance of being able to increase profit margins by imposing a modest price increase. Some of these changes may well be genuine improvements but by no means all. In the case of the VW T6-1 look no further than the dash board.

If you don't agree I can live with that but at least acknowledge what manufacturers are up to.

P.s My previous post had nothing to do with options.

Last edited:
I have a 6. So naturally I think 6.1 is sh1t. Would I buy one? Yes. Is it worth 30k extra to trade up, that's a massive no. Let's be honest here an old t5 is probably better, more reliable and does exactly same as the 6.1. 6.1 owners are relying on warranty. T5 owners are relying on reliability. All of that touch screen digital dash stuff you can keep it for me,imagine a 20 year old 6.1 and trying to get the thing fixed?

Imagine a 20 year old 6.1 and trying to get the thing fixed?

I remember the same comments when fuel injection came in........and CANBUS .....and ABS .....etc etc

I did say " leaving aside the usual massive price differential when replacing like with a newer like".

My point was that most goods produced these days are produced down to a cost. This usually involves much bean counting. If a manufacturer can shave a few cents off a component here and a euro or two off something else there then when multiplied by the numbers of completed units produced through out a production run, they can save a small fortune. So naturally there is always the urge to revisit this issue everytime a new or upgraded model is developed. If they can also convince their customers that these changes represent significant improvements then they stand a good chance of being able to increase profit margins by imposing a modest price increase. Some of these changes may well be genuine improvements but by no means all. In the case of the VW T6-1 look no further than the dash board.

If you don't agree I can live with that but at least acknowledge what manufacturers are up to.

P.s My previous post had nothing to do with options.
I mentioned the options because people were talking about 30k£ extra , i cannot imagine t6.1 being that more expensive unless you take options into account.
Of course you are right Vw don't do charity and take every opportunity to increase sales but also have also have a reputation to uphold.

I remember the same comments when fuel injection came in........
I'm not against progress mate. But unnecessary tech I don't get. Touch screens to turn on lights etc. Turning on the kettle using your phone. All that stuff . Pointless. Where as fuel injection was a good thing. Exit. Still don't like the front end either

I didn’t know that either!
You measured the height of the van?
I do like sports mode if I’m pressing along on twisties, or funnily enough over eg 20mph type speed humps. Less vertical bounce. And then wafting along the motorway in comfort. I use individual for soft suspension and heavier steering
At the lowest part between front wheels I measure 155mm, between front and rear wheels I measure 200 mm at lowest point. The car height is 197,5 cm.
All measures without full load, tires at 3.1 bar.

I mentioned the options because people were talking about 30k£ extra , i cannot imagine t6.1 being that more expensive unless you take options into account.
Of course you are right Vw don't do charity and take every opportunity to increase sales but also have also have a reputation to uphold.

The OP said in his situation it would cost him £35k to change from a T6 to a T6.1

There was no mention of mileage, age or spec of the respective vehicles. A T6 could be 6 years old with 200,000 miles 150 2wd low spec compared to a 4 motion brand new fully loaded model. It could well be a poor trade in figure combined with a poor discount on the new one.

When I changed from T5.1 to T6.1 the difference in the cost to change was £18k from best to worse. I ended up taking the 2nd best trade in with the best new van discount to get the best deal.

I'm not against progress mate. But unnecessary tech I don't get. Touch screens to turn on lights etc. Turning on the kettle using your phone. All that stuff . Pointless. Where as fuel injection was a good thing. Exit. Still don't like the front end either
what looks over the top today is common tomorrow, unfortunately you can't replace a cali with a new model every year like a smartphone

I bought a tumble dryer recently and the salesman desperately tried to sell me a more expensive model that connected to my phone in curry's. When I asked him to explain the benefits of this he couldn't answer. So I bought the cheap one that you just turn the dial on. Obviously the phone doesn't put the clothes in the dryer , you have to do that yourself, so while your stood there you can just turn it on yourself. Some tech is unnecessary, complicated,pathetic and useless .turning on the heater in 6.1 is another example of this

I bought a tumble dryer recently and the salesman desperately tried to sell me a more expensive model that connected to my phone in curry's.

Turning on the heater in 6.1 is another example of this

That tumble drier would be perfect on a campsite - get a notification that its just finishing rather than keep popping back to check.

T6.1 heater is no harder to use than the T6 if you've bothered to read the manual.
Its far easier to get a T6.1 to heat than it is to get a T6 to ventilate.

Please don't ask what ventilate mode does - we've been there & done that before....

Yes there is, left hand side of the screen on the Discover media Pro version a shortcut button to the radio, along with other shortcut buttons. On the none Pro version its a physical button in the same place.

Yes they have with the digital dash you can have the nav filling almost all the display in front of the driver, or just the space between the dials, or as display inside one of the dials.

Have you actually seen a T6.1?
I am talking physical buttons, not icons on the screen. Physical buttons I can feel where my fingers are. I am talking carplay navigation where the t6.1 was way after when launched.

Can anyone add anything here?
Its been 8 months. anyone traded from T6 to T6.1 and can give any first-hand experiences...?
Im divided between used 2019/2020 T6 and Ex demo T6.1

Only that I wish they still did the button for the alarm on the B pillar.

Otherwise, very happy with our 6.1. Recently drove to Edinburgh and back over 2 days, with a lot of work in the middle and it was lovely.

If you can afford it go for T 6.1. Using T6.1 for 9 months now after having T6 for 7 years. So many improvements..
What are your top two improvements Roger?

Its been 8 months. anyone traded from T6 to T6.1 and can give any first-hand experiences...?
Not sure whether you had Adaptive Cruise Control on your previous van, but love it on our 6.1 - I know it was on the T6, just saying I like it.

Top 200 you mean ?
Sliding Doors of cupboards in the back. downstears bed
Interior lights
Light in cupboards
Camper controle unit
Led headlights
Dsg
Rear view camera inclusief wide angel 180 deg
Digital cockpit
Front Seats can turn without opening door
Led reading lights above front seats

If you like your gadgets/tech and prefer more of a car style drive then definitely go t6.1
Only down sides are the awful dash and front end doesn’t look as nice.
I did think my 150 T6 had a tad more power to 150 t6.1
Have a t6 kombi 204 now wow flies up to Glenshee/lech!
So does this mean that fiat is going?
I’m more of a fan of the T6 as I like the van feel and cd player