Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 front no plate help!

S

Simon8132

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
So we have a t6.1 coast purchased late 2020 and we are having issues with the front no plate. Shortly after purchasing the front sensors kept alarming. A return to the dealer showed the no plate had come loose and was setting the alarm off. They reattached it and low and behold the same thing happened again....and again......and again. I had the idea to try several strips of double sided tape but clearly the slight curve where the number plate fits is causing the ends to spring loose. The obvious answer is to screw it on but I am not keen on drilling into my new expensive camper and I can’t see how you can get to the back of the bumper easily anyway. I‘m thinking this must be a common issue and someone must have a simple solution? Has anyone used Velcro to attach a no plate.

you can get better double sided tape. gorilla tape maybe. or stick it on with sikaflex. it won't damage the bumper and could be peeled off if you needed to swap the plate for any reason

Mine was screwed on by the supplying dealer. Very neat job - No issues.

Interested to know how/why the plate is setting the alarm off though?

Mine was screwed on by the supplying dealer. Very neat job - No issues.

Interested to know how/why the plate is setting the alarm off though?
Our was stuck on with double sided tape. Because of the slight curve the 2 ends of the number plate peel off slightly which causes the sensors to alarm as it thinks it’s an obstacle. Originally they had put 2 strips of double sided tape across the plate and it will fall off completely, we now have several vertical strips which stops it falling off put it still pulls away on the ends.

You could get some stick on no plates, stick them to some thinner, more flexible plastic, and then double side these on.

You could get some stick on no plates, stick them to some thinner, more flexible plastic, and then double side these on.
Or perhaps try some heat on the current plates to put a curve in them.

Use some short wellnuts, then there is no need to access the rear of the bumper.

BE91F170-7333-4DED-87D3-3FCE11F3E712.png

Plates are usually perspex on the front with an alloy on the back, these 2 materials have different expansion rates hence curving when hot. Mine are fixed with the proper number plate stickers, heavy duty ones. No problem in 4 years.
The rear fixed to metal has been prone to come unstuck.

Screwing on would do harm as it's into a plastic bumper. Never to be seen as number plate covers it.
There would be little clearance from the plastic bumper to the metal bar behind, drill a small pilot hole to check that the screw won't reach before tightened.

You just can't beat 2 screws and a couple of those coloured caps. Self tappers don't need rear access

Back