Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 fridge issue

• Thread starter Melinda Rickett
  • Start date
M

Melinda Rickett

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Currently touring around Amalfi Italy. We have been using an EHU but after around 3 days the fridge kept switching off. We tested the hook up with a volt meter and it was receiving a current so we know hook cable is working. Interior Lights are still working. Ignition starts and indeed after running the engine for a short while the fridge can be used again. The control display doesn’t make any sense to me! What should it read? Ours just currently says 10.3v minus 3.8A at 90%. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Currently touring around Amalfi Italy. We have been using an EHU but after around 3 days the fridge kept switching off. We tested the hook up with a volt meter and it was receiving a current so we know hook cable is working. Interior Lights are still working. Ignition starts and indeed after running the engine for a short while the fridge can be used again. The control display doesn’t make any sense to me! What should it read? Ours just currently says 10.3v minus 3.8A at 90%. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
If the Control Panel is showing 10.3v then it means your Leisure Batteries are almost flat. If the voltage is less than 11.5v then the fridge switches Off.
When plugged into the EHU do you see a 2 pin plug symbol L lower screen?

Thanks - I’m not sure why we can’t charge the leisure batteries on the EHU - we can’t see a 2 pin plug symbol?

Thanks - I’m not sure why we can’t charge the leisure batteries on the EHU - we can’t see a 2 pin plug symbol?
1. Do you have Mains power from the mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit when on hookup?
If No, check the circuit breaker in the rear wardrobe. If Yes goto 2.

2. Check the black , kettle like plug , mains lead to the ensure Battery charger is properly and firmly connected.
The Mains charger, depending on the year of your vehicle is either below the fridge with access via inspection port in the L lower kitchen cupboard, or above the rear leisure battery access via inspection door L side of boot bottom of the wardrobe.

1. Do you have Mains power from the mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit when on hookup?
If No, check the circuit breaker in the rear wardrobe. If Yes goto 2.

2. Check the black , kettle like plug , mains lead to the ensure Battery charger is properly and firmly connected.
The Mains charger, depending on the year of your vehicle is either below the fridge with access via inspection port in the L lower kitchen cupboard, or above the rear leisure battery access via inspection door L side of boot bottom of the wardrobe.
Thanks for this info - I’ve just checked both the 12v cigarette lighter type plug and that can charge my phone, but the continental plug sockets isn’t giving me any power. Circuit breakers are fine in back cupboard in boot? So still puzzled?

Thanks for this info - I’ve just checked both the 12v cigarette lighter type plug and that can charge my phone, but the continental plug sockets isn’t giving me any power. Circuit breakers are fine in back cupboard in boot? So still puzzled?
So the mains power socket on the end of the kitchen unit is Not giving mains power?

The 12 v socket has nothing to do with this problem.

If you have No Mains power to the kitchen socket then there are only 3 possible simple causes,

1. The Campsite mains socket is not working, try another campsite socket.

2. Faulty mains lead from campsite socket to mains lead. Try another lead.

3. the RCD circuit breaker is Off or is faulty. Switch Off/On . Any change?

Thank you Welsh Gas for trying to help us - we can’t resolve the issue so we’ll just leave it until we get to the Uk and run the fridge without EHU. We will just need to find someone that knows about vw campers and battery issues. I think as long as we keep moving every couple of days we’ll probably be ok. Thank you anyway.

So the mains power socket on the end of the kitchen unit is Not giving mains power?

The 12 v socket has nothing to do with this problem.

If you have No Mains power to the kitchen socket then there are only 3 possible simple causes,

1. The Campsite mains socket is not working, try another campsite socket.

2. Faulty mains lead from campsite socket to mains lead. Try another lead.

3. the RCD circuit breaker is Off or is faulty. Switch Off/On . Any change?
Thank you Welsh Gas for trying to help us - we can’t resolve the issue so we’ll just leave it until we get to the Uk and run the fridge without EHU. We will just need to find someone that knows about vw campers and battery issues. I think as long as we keep moving every couple of days we’ll probably be ok. Thank you anyway

Thank you Welsh Gas for trying to help us - we can’t resolve the issue so we’ll just leave it until we get to the Uk and run the fridge without EHU. We will just need to find someone that knows about vw campers and battery issues. I think as long as we keep moving every couple of days we’ll probably be ok. Thank you anyway
Hi Welsh Gas - I thought you might like to hear the result of this issue you kindly tried to help us with last year. It was the electric hook up socket on the Cali that was corroded - so that was replaced and all is now well (hopefully!)

Back