Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 California Roll Call

I haven't noticed this thread before.
We own an 2001 California Generation.

The California have now rolled over 250.000 km, and is still running good. Just need to replace the timing belt, as the oil pump seem to leak some oil.
Were almost time for it anyway, so...

Nice to see that this forum have other T4 California owners.
I've already have gotten help in here, and hopefully we'll be able to exchange more of the great experience and good ideas.

Hello there all of you wonderfull T4 owners.. :clap

Caligrycho from the little Denmark in Europe - with my soon to be finished T4 Extreme..

Have a safe way.. :upsidedown

IMG277.jpg

And the inside has been upgraded to..

Engine and everything with it has been restored to New..
Brakes and pipes New..
Backdoor made by hand (only one in the world).. Like it or not.. :lol:
Front is Project Two with handmade VW Logo..
She was an old dying bird when I took her in to my garage - Her rusty holes was everywhere, but she was to proud - Had to give her a second change..
She has 367.000 km on her 93 - 77bhp back and now she is running like a wife in bed on the wedding night..

And here she is - after 4 months of hard care.. Enjoy!! :upsidedown

IMG274.jpg

Is it me or do you need to take a couple of steps backwards before taking the shot?

I'm sure its all top notch :thumb

S

How have you done the interior? Mine is looking a little tired, although I want to keep mine close to stock.

Interesting looking van. Not my cup of tea, but nice to see something a bit different. Saw a T5 Cali last week with similar rear lights, it did stand out from the crowd.

Happy travels,
dan

Hi Dan..
The interior was refreshed very easy actually.. Its a special film, something like a big sticker and comes in many shapes and colors.. Its also being used for wrapping cars etc..
You then just put a single piece on each surface and slowly makes sure that you dont get any air bubbles..
Its a very simpel procedure, just remember to clean first with cellulose.. Then you make sure to get into all corners and the edges you cut with a sharp knife, holding it paralel to the edge and let the edge guide you knife.. - And if it does´nt work the first time, then just take a deep breath.. ;) - And try again.. Start with a door - its by far the easiest..

About the stock look - You´re absolutely right - But with this car, that was so rotten everywhere, and a totally mucked up white paint, with rust bubbles everywhere, dead clutch, dead waterpump, dead generator, dead belts, brakes and breakpipes - I had a choice to make..
Would I let it die or would I let it live?
Should it rise after a lot of hard work - and I mean - REALLY a lot of hard work - to be looking once again like 93 just freshly painted or should I give it a chance to rise from the dead and stand out in the croud? - I think you know what choise a made.. :smile
And if people dont like it - then they eather drive what they like or make something else..
This is what I like - A little extreme T4 California Totally Resurrected 2013..
Hugs to you all.. Caligrycho :hello

Hi I'm new. :D I've had my 97 island blue t4 cali beach for about a year.

Hi EP, a big welcome, another T4 to swell the ranks, great! I have had my 2002 T4 California Event for six months. We have just returned from Cali s en Champagne in France, great weekend despite a big storm! Made so many new friends.

pabloalfa76 said:
Hi EP Lee,

Welcome aboard!
Post up some pictures of your ride and add your location. ( i'm nosy ).

Paul and Ash

Hi,

i'm based in Essex. I've done a few things to improve the handling as I was getting sea sick. I don't have too many pics at the mo. It just went through its MOT without a fault and I've got all the paperwork. One owner from new before I got it. I do have an issue as the hook up doesn't seem to work (or the trip switch). The charger is fine though. I'm going to charge the leisure battery from the mains to see if that helps

20130616_123930_zps07a6e22e.jpg

Attachments

• 20130616_123930_zps07a6e22e.jpg
    20130616_123930_zps07a6e22e.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2
Here's how I bought it. The interior did it for me. ;)

551923_4318375805253_869063855_n_zps182e9dbc.jpg

Attachments

• 551923_4318375805253_869063855_n_zps182e9dbc.jpg
    551923_4318375805253_869063855_n_zps182e9dbc.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1
P1040560.JPG

here's ours ... methinks techno blue too!!

Slowly the T4's are emerging from the woodwork :D

Nice looking van EPLee. Looks like JustWestys in the background?

If the hookup isn't working, just wondering - how do you know the charger is working? That's the only thing that's on the 240v circuit isn't it? The charger, trip and a feed from the charger to the controller to say it's connected?

Cheers,
dan

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Slowly the T4's are emerging from the woodwork :D

Nice looking van EPLee. Looks like JustWestys in the background?

If the hookup isn't working, just wondering - how do you know the charger is working? That's the only thing that's on the 240v circuit isn't it? The charger, trip and a feed from the charger to the controller to say it's connected?

Cheers,
dan

It is, Dan. :clap

I had a good friend who works in electronics test the charger for me.

When I fit it back in I'm going to run direct to the charger from a house plug socket to see if it picks up then. I'll then know whether to fault is at the external connector not. I'll probably take it back to him with a drink to fix. Its a bit annoying as I have a week in the van in a few weeks time.

Good stuff. Hope you get it sorted before your week away.

dan

@Caligrycho have you got a link online to that film for the cupboard refurb?

If anyone knows of any T4 Cali's coming up for sale please let me know :)

There's a good few on ebay, plus more at various dealers in the south east.

What sort of age/spec/price are you looking for?

Trying to get my head around the huge difference in prices at the mo so I can find a sweet spot.

Do you have any links?

The most well known dealers in the south east are these guys:

http://www.campervans4u.com/stocklist.html
http://www.vwcampersales.com/volkswagen ... k-list.php
http://eastfalia.com/vans.aspx

On ebay, just search for VW Westfalia and sift through the results. Also play with adding T4 or California to the search to narrow things down, but that may exclude some results where people don't add all the info.

Expect to pay between around 7k for a private sale of a high millage early poptop, up to around 23k for a late 150bhp pop top from a dealer. The hightop clubs and exclusives will be a little more.

On the early (pre '96 I think) will have either the 1.9TD or the 2.4D. Both are slow, but fairly bomb proof. There are some pretty high millage ones out there. There is also a 2.5 petrol, which has a bit more power, but is thirsty.

After that the 2.5TDI has more power and better fuel efficiency. Seems to be pretty robust.

Early white 2.4TDs are the best ones :D

HTH
dan

Also forgot to mention, on the earlier ones - the standard cooker is an alcohol stove, gas was an option. Later ones are only gas.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol stoves, they are pretty efficient, easy to cook on (we cook a lot in ours) and meths is available just about everywhere (I buy in bulk). A cup of tea takes a while though :x

dan

reserves said:

Trying to get my head around the huge difference in prices at the mo so I can find a sweet spot.

Do you have any links?

just Westys were good for me. the right van and price with the right equipment. Set a budget and then see what you can get

Back