Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 California Roll Call

On that trip (also the Peaks) the temperature only got down zero :) The Eber and the double glazing help a lot, as do very good sleeping bags :D

Normally we would drop the roof if expecting bad weather, but we weren't expecting it that night. We now have a silver screen for the roof, although mostly because I haven't been able to stop the roof from leaking when it is raining hard.

dan

Sleeping bags?

My better half always gives me a hard time for insisting on colour coded (to match the vans interior) bedding! A nice thick double duvet with thick matress packer (John Lewis) and a throw for the chilly nights. Accept no substitutes.

S.

Sorry about the bucket Sidepod but it is not a waste bucket,it is for nocturnal use and if it was colour coded there is a good chance I would miss it during the night.

Hi, I have a LHD 1993 2.4d westfalia California High Top. Ive had it since July & its cost me an arm & a leg, so far replacing the oil pump, cambelt, timing belts, disks & pads, ball joints, starter motor, gaskets & water pump. Ive just ordered new front wings & arches together with sills ready for a visit to the body shop. Once that is done im planning to get it lowered. Any suggestions on as to how low to go? Ive seen a local company offering a fitted coilover kit for £260 which will drop it 70mm, is this too low & can anybody advise me if this would make the ride too uncomfortable. Also what size wheels would be preferable to match up with the height reduction? Finally, can anyone tell me where to go for bits & bobs for the interior? I need to replace the worn worktop hinges & one of the flexible lights is missing (pictures uploaded) Thanks Rob

Regarding ride height - 70mm is a lot, I run mine standard height and there are a few marks on the engine undertray where the ground got a bit close. I've been on a few campsites and stopped at a few scenic spots I wouldn't want to take a lowered bus. But then, I don't get sea sick :)

Gunzl is a good place for Westfalia specific spare parts. Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2505

I think the light fitting you want is this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hella-Navigat ... 2ebb4fafa6

But check the length of the bendy arm.

HTH,
dan

MarcLeFuture (California Tour)
Wilupo7 (California Exclusive)
Bryanh
TwentyoneThirtyfive
Fireengine (California Exclusive)
Sidepod
VWroamer (2.5 tdi pop-top)
Bornsplitty (2.5 tdi)
Casstro (California Coach?)

Nearly into double figures! :thanks

sidepod said:
Count me in. We've owned ours just over a year now.

She's in pretty good nick for an old bird.

Jobs completed this summer -

Replaced leisure batteries for original spec.
Replaced charger for original item
Water pump
Cam belt
Vacumm pump
CV joints
Exhaust
Tyres/wheels
Lowered 40mm
Diesel pump spindle seal replaced.

Shes covered over 200k and runs like clockwork. Uses no oil and returns approx 36mpg.
Total number of trips this year - 22.

We're ramping for a new T5 but, seing as we love our T4 so much we're in no hurry.

Good to see others here :cool

S.

Hi, loving the van, she a beaut :cool

Come on you lot you can do better than that :rofl :rofl you will need at least 15 for your own meet :thumb

Lowering 70mm. That's a big NO NO. At the front this will seriously affect the torsion bar set up to the point there will be little or no tension on the bars causing the achor points to pop out as soon as the vehicle unloads itself ie over a bump or hump in the road. Result - your van sitting on its arches!

50mm is considered the max for any kind of continued practical useage.

Make sure you go for some decent springs for the rear, TUV approved at least.

If you do lower it make sure you have the rear brake bias valve re calibrated. This will stop your rear end overtaking you during an e stop.

S.

Just updating the list. Mine is a plain old California, early enough that the marketing team hadn't started adding all sorts of words after it :D

Bryanh
TwentyoneThirtyfive (California)
Sidepod
Bornsplitty (2.5 tdi)

Hello Forum Members,
Add us to the mix please!
Same colour as Sidepod, ( which looks in fantastic condition for a 94 T4 ).
Our is bog standard T4 93 Left hand drive imported 6 years ago from first owners.
2..4l non Turbo manual everything! 200,000km.
"we love our van!"
Most holidays are trips to France exploring the coastline...
We travel with Folding Kayak, Bikes, Tent Table chairs sink......?and
puss cat! (non folding) :p
David

Hi David, list updated and welcome :D

Bryanh
Sidepod
Bornsplitty (2.5 tdi)
GuiseppeVerdiT4 ((California Coach)

PS, loving the cat :clap

My better (by a long way) half spotted one yesterday on the M6. Caribean Green, N plate, very clean, bike rack on the rear door. I know this because she photographed it and emailed it to me !! I thought I was the tragic one?

Anyone here?

S.

Not me, but I will be heading up northbound M6 tomorrow to the Lakes. Wish us luck with the weather!!

Post a weather report when you get there please, looking for a destination this weekend :)

Well, assuming JK ever send the relay I ordered. And assuming the relay is the reason I have no indicators and hazards.

dan

Ah The Lake District. I grew up there. A beautiful place. :cool:

Enjoy.

S.

Ah Dan,

Sorry mate, no signal for two days then couldn't log on to the site! :headwall For what it's worth though, it was cold and rained quite a bit (but the pubs served great beer)! Plenty of snow on the high ground after the last few days, looks beautiful up there.

No problem, we went east for the weekend in the end. Saturday was lovely, Monday was nice, Sunday was wet, very very wet!

dan

Hi all
I went to the Lake District in August in my Westy for some mountain biking at Whinlater lovely spot weather wasn't great. Also went to Wales Afan forest for some more cycling got drenched there to :sad .
Also managed a week end at Thetford 3 weeks ago and guess what...... Got soaked there to :headbang

Think I will try France next year anyone been to any nice spots there! Thinking of getting to France on the Euro Tunnel and then finding somewhere around 40 mile drive or there abouts?

Tried uploading a picture of me Westy but keep getting told the file is to big how do I reduce it?

Also have I pushed it up to double digits on the T4 counter ;)

Derry

Hi ,
Two days ago I bought an 02 plate T4 Westfalia California Event. Wonderful van. Prior to this I had a T4 high top 94 plate. 2.4D. We loved her, 200,000Kms LHD French registered. Am now looking forward to the Cali experience! :clap

Sensible p'chase Chris. Well done.

We are really suffering withdrawl symptoms since we garaged ours for the winter.

Numbers increasing steadly. We'll be outnumbering those T5 types soon :lol:

S.

Hi all,

Thought I'd update the list. by my reckoning we've got a dozen on it now which must be enough for a small meet next year sometime?

Bryanh
Sidepod
Bornsplitty (2.5 tdi)
GuiseppeVerdiT4 ((California Coach)
Derry (2.4d)
French Chris (California Event)

If I've missed anyone, please let me know.

Happy Cali Christmas to everyone :D

Picture of me westy "hopefully" first time uploaded any pics. I'm going to get the windows tinted and would like to fit some alloys after crimbo!

image.jpg

Back