Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swapping wheels from T5.1 to new Ocean California 4 Motion

J

Jamespenn84

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi. I’m fairly new to this so please go easy. I purchased a 2013 T5.1 a while back and about a year ago, I upgraded my wheels to some 20” Veeman alloys with Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 Tyres: 275/40 R20 106W (Extra Load, Run Flat, BMW fitment)

I purchased a 2018 VW California Ocean 4 Motion recently and I planned to swap the wheels over when I got the callipers painted today. They had both vans side by side, all wheels off and ready to be swapped and although they are both 20”, they advised the Veemans wouldn’t go on the T6

Does this make sense and is there anything I can do to make them fit? When I purchased them (from Rogue Alloys) they advised they would fit any T5/ T6/ T6.1

Does the fact it’s a 4 Motion have anything to do with it? Or perhaps California’s have a different setup?

Thanks in advance

Unless your T5.1 had the 180 engine, the chances are that it had the 16" chassis with smaller brakes.
I'm then guessing that your new van has the 17" chassis with the bigger brakes.

the 17" brake calipers are wider as well being generally bigger to the extent that the genuine VWT5 18" sport line wheels won't clear the calipers.

An alternative is that when the wheels were used on the previous van, spacers were used that have been left on the old van.

Thank you Andy

It wasn’t (the T5) a 180, it was a 102 that was remapped so that makes sense. I don’t think spacers were used as they would have been noticeable today when all 8 wheels were off at the same time

They’ve suggested I buy a new wheel package which will be £2k+ so I may take it somewhere else and see if they can add spacers that make it feasible. It would be interesting to know what wheels are on it now as they didn’t have any spacers on them and they’re identical (to look at - wheel size and tyre size)

Would air suspension have anything to do with it or that’s totally irrelevant?

Thanks again

Would air suspension have anything to do with it or that’s totally irrelevant?

Thanks again

I wouldn't have thought so. it is usually the caliper that the inner face of the wheel spokes hit. Did they say what actually hit?

It may be due to the offset or tyre sizes. The 275/40/20 tyres would be underreading the speed by about 10% which the tyre guys may not be willing to do. Although it sounds like they would rather sell you more wheels.

I had 16” setup on my silver joker swapped for 17” factory vw wheels no issues.
So did they not even try and fit one, just said no by looking (seems strange did they charge you for removing 8 wheels and refitting?)

Back