Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

18" Alloy Wheels and 4 motion Ocean/DSG

sampsonr

sampsonr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone else had this issue? I am in the process of finalising my order for an Ocean 4 motion with most options and initially specced 18" alloys - reached a point when the dealer configurator started going crazy and wanted to remove various options unless the wheels were changed. Now sorted out the order but can only it seems get a fully optioned up 4motion/dsg with 17" wheels. Dealer contacted VW who said can't be done with 18" alloys ?weight problem.

The last two words in your post are probally the reason ....
But if the 18ers are in the optionlist i find it rare they can't take the weight ....

Maybe it is not " Can't take the weight ", but might put the weight of the fully laden vehicle over the MGV, because isn't the 204 Ocean heavier than the 180 T5 SE?

Easier and cheaper to order with the standard wheels then buy 18" aftermarket alloys later.

Easier and cheaper to order with the standard wheels then buy 18" aftermarket alloys later.
Really does depend on the reason why VW does not supply 18" wheels. It could invalidate insurance etc:, I would suggest the reason should be determined first.

We bought an SE in 2014, at that time if you asked for 18" wheels you got no spare or spare carrier, just can of repair glue, not sure if that has changed. Once we found that out we went for the 17" wheels.

That's still the case - raises the point that if weight is the issue, are 5 x 17" alloys (incl spare) heavier than 4 18" alloys plus repair kit.

There must be some reason, if not weight. Cannot see VW giving up getting some additional revenue without a good reason, especially when 3rd parties could supply them.
Lack of suitable tyres? Safety concerns? Something has made them take this decision as they were available on it's predecessor.

That's still the case - raises the point that if weight is the issue, are 5 x 17" alloys (incl spare) heavier than 4 18" alloys plus repair kit.

Think you see it the wrong way .....
Not the wheels beeing heavier ...
The 18ers "can't take the weight of the verhicle" imo.
Diffrent story....

You can pick 18"alloys with the VW configurator for the top spec Cali Ocean no problem, suspect it is more likely a glitch or misinformation.
Configurator did say you also have to add these tyres,

"Please make a choice
You want to add :
Alloy wheels " Toluca " 8 J x 18
€ 809.20 * 1
You must also add these features:
Tires 255/45 R 18 103 H XL , optimized for rolling resistance
No costs"

Has anyone else had this issue? I am in the process of finalising my order for an Ocean 4 motion with most options and initially specced 18" alloys - reached a point when the dealer configurator started going crazy and wanted to remove various options unless the wheels were changed. Now sorted out the order but can only it seems get a fully optioned up 4motion/dsg with 17" wheels. Dealer contacted VW who said can't be done with 18" alloys ?weight problem.
I initially tried to order the shiny versions of the 18" Springfield alloys on my 4Motion DSG. The dealer told me that they were not suitable for my van - but the non-shiny matt finish 18" Springfield alloys are fine. Hope this helps :thumb

Think you see it the wrong way .....
Not the wheels beeing heavier ...
The 18ers "can't take the weight of the verhicle" imo.
Diffrent story....

Not gonna "disagree" against the "disagreement " to my post .....:headbang
Was just giving an opinion , but still think big alloys can't take as much weight as smaler alloys and steel rims....
Pimp your Cali.....:kiss

We bought an SE in 2014, at that time if you asked for 18" wheels you got no spare or spare carrier, just can of repair glue, not sure if that has changed. Once we found that out we went for the 17" wheels.
Hi Stuart. That's still the same case.
Cheers

Given the state of our British roads, I would have thought that it would be far better to have the standard 17" factory fitted rims, unless that is, you are not bothered about making the ride quality worse.

Given the state of our British roads, I would have thought that it would be far better to have the standard 17" factory fitted rims, unless that is, you are not bothered about making the ride quality worse.
For practicality & ride refinement, I would agree with you 100% Borris.

Not gonna "disagree" against the "disagreement " to my post .....:headbang
Was just giving an opinion , but still think big alloys can't take as much weight as smaler alloys and steel rims....
Pimp your Cali.....:kiss
As you know "pimping" Calis, T5's, cars etc. is hugely popular in the UK and the range of large alloy wheels is massive. Some are cheap and nasty and not suitable for heavy cars/vans but there are plenty of manufacturers who make wheels load rated high enough for fully loaded Cali's even up to 20" in size. Fact not opinion.;)

dealer in the canary islands said VW won't allow 18" wheels on 4motion, but didn't say why ... I ordered the 17"

The larger the wheel = Slimmer tyre with smaller sidewall = Harsher ride.

Tyres are very important for the vehicles comfort factor, especially in such a heavy vehicle. Also the slim sidewall tyres often require higher pressures making the tyres harder and more likely to transmit vibration / uneven road surface.

Just had the same issue here in Switzerland.

Back