Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Standing Start

This is normal for VW DSG. I have had various different cars now, Passats, Touregs and this is our 2nd Cali. All do it. If you put your foot down hard from standing still, the computer is making a whole bunch of calculations and is therefore a split second behind you. Hence the “dead spot”. Then it does exactly what you’ve told it to i.e. max power to the wheels. Hence the sudden jerk away or wheelspin. Although the computer learns your style, it will always put max power through if that’s what you’re telling. You should also adapt by depressing the accelerator a little until you feel the drivetrain engage. Then if you fully depress, it will still give you the max acceleration without the jerk. It doesn’t take long to get used to it.
I have a DSG Tiguan and have never experienced this. To clarify, I'm not talking about depressing the accelerator hard, I am trying to pull away steadily but it always ends up taking off. I guess I need to learn where the sweet spot is with the biting point.

After 4 yrs I think I’ve adapted my driving style/expectations to suit the DSG, but I do still occasionally find this problem (2014 180). In my mind I think it’s that the van selects 2nd gear for a gentle, level pull away (my normal driving style) and the other shaft has already preselected 3rd for the expected upshift. If you stomp on the throttle for a faster get away, the gearbox has to drop third gear from that shaft and pick up first which is where that horrible dead spot occurs, by which time there are plenty of revs and then there’s that jerk/wheel spin and rather unpleasant ‘Santa pod’ start.
Using ‘S’ should help because it assumes you want a fast start and selects 1st from the off. Or use manual. Or pull away gently but increase accelerator pressure gradually as you pull away so it holds its gear longer.
Just my thoughts...

Back