Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smashed windscreen...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Just giving the BM a wash; lifted a wiper to clean under it, the blade section pinged off, the metal section flicked down and smashed the whole windscreen.

Arrrggghhhhh!!!

I have my claim brain on full speed and plan to get BMW to pay. Wipers should not flick off when you lift them...

Don't have a lot of luck do you !

Moral of this is don't wash it !!

I think it was hit of a stone on motorway. ;).
I just had the windscreen replaced by VW, paid by insurance for the same reason.

Andresz said:
I think it was hit of a stone on motorway. ;).
I just had the windscreen replaced by VW, paid by insurance for the same reason.

Nahh, the photo shows it's an obvious one…

10341853_10152052450492805_7605976693887019447_n.jpg
:headbang :headbang

I don't want an insurance one - they use Autoglass who don't use OEM parts and can't initialise the rain sensor.

Negotiating with BMW and the insurers (who will only chip in £100 to a non Autoglass fitter) - £800 for a new screen… :headbang

That is better in France then. I paid 670 Euros with VW, all genuine and original (antenna is in windscreen), got 600 reimbursed by insurance..

Tell your insurance company you want a BMW screen and they should oblige and Autoglass will have to source it directly from BMW.

cheers

Could be a plan Alex. I'd rather not use insurance if at all possible as it kills a years no claims and any claim costs so much more than the excess in the long run.

BMW is coming back to me today; I'll see if i get anywhere! Sounds like it's happened to plenty of others too.

I didn't think it affected no claims or excess etc...maybe things have changed!?!

Good luck

800. Wow. Sorry to hear it. Mad crazy world.

You could get a brand new Dacia for 6000. In addition to the windscreen, it would come with engine, windows, body, electrics .......

What a rip off german cars are now.

How bizarre - I asked for a confirmation of price and they are now saying £470!

Anyway, still trying to get BMW to pay/contribute; I will see what happens. There I was, looking after the car and suddenly, major hassle - arrghhh!! :headbang

Anyone with a recent BMW, BE CAREFUL with your wipers!

Just sums it up. These folk are disconnected from reality. I am seeing a mate tonight who earns about 70 a day, and often travels an hour or more to earn this

800, 470, hey let's call it an even grand. The figures these guys throw out have virtually lost all meaning,

Kernow I've had 3 windscreen replacements in the last couple of years and none of them affected my NCD or renewal price. Cost to me approx £70 each time depending on policy. The only annoying part is having to list them all every time I want an insurance quote.
Will make a note of the wipers next time I wash ours!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Well I hate insurance almost as much as I hate any form of debt so decided to just pay for it. Got it down to £400.

I must add the word AR*E though. :headbang

I will now treat the wipers like unexploded land mines.

Freeley; what's happened each time? That's a lot of windscreens!
This is the first I've ever replaced (the previous car definitely needed one though)!

if the front windscreen broke on mine - I'd replace it with one that had the rain/light sensor - I've got the part number for the Cali screen.

I'd console myself with that, although, having got a quote from autoglass for the windscreen, they seem quite expensive.

James

James said:
if the front windscreen broke on mine - I'd replace it with one that had the rain/light sensor - I've got the part number for the Cali screen.

I'd console myself with that, although, having got a quote from autoglass for the windscreen, they seem quite expensive.

James

Given it's size, I imagine a Cali screen would cost a flipping fortune!

KernowLad said:
James said:

James

Given it's size, I imagine a Cali screen would cost a flipping fortune!

No, it's not cheap :)

James

KernowLad said:
Freeley; what's happened each time? That's a lot of windscreens!
This is the first I've ever replaced (the previous car definitely needed one though)!

Yeah I've had a run of bad luck!
Never had more than a small chip in 25 years of driving but in 2012 a stone thrown up by the car in front of me cracked the screen on my work transporter.
Last year I noticed a small crack at the bottom of the screen on our cali which quickly spread (no idea how it got there) and later in the year jumped in my new work van after finishing work and a large crack had appeared from nowhere which wasn't there in the morning. It was parked on a London side street and seemed a bit suspicious to me but never mind.
Since then I've had a couple more errant stones hit my work van, one put a nice dent in the bonnet and the other dented the nearside A pillar.
I think somebody's got it in for me!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How annoying!

My Cali bonnet is peppered in stone chips which is annoying- I think a respray is needed soon.

Well after making rather a nuisance of myself, BMW has agreed to pay for it; result!!

Back