Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slidepod for the VW California Beach

A while back i said I would post some pictures of the new utility slidepod upgrade we had produced. With all we had going on I totally forgot but we have been testing our prototype for the last few months and it has been a big sucess, according to Jane its brilliant for when she goes shopping and forgets her bags for life (by which she means every time she goes shopping). Needless to say I have plans for my own customised one with a full tool kit inside it (men have certain needs that must be satisfied after all). The utility pods can carry a load of up to 60kg and are now available.

20160119_110227.jpg

20160119_110135.jpg

20160119_110047.jpg

20160119_110117.jpg

Right..... I think I have finalised the spec of the compact Slidepod that will go inside the 3 seat beach
Have you ever considered a SlidePod that replaces the Multiflex board rather than sits between its legs? A pod with a full 120cm usable width would be an attractive solution!

I like the shopping pod could use a modified one in an SE

Have you ever considered a SlidePod that replaces the Multiflex board rather than sits between its legs? A pod with a full 120cm usable width would be an attractive solution!
We actually already have that pod in our standardised range its called the Slidepod Multi.

It doesn't quite use the full width as that would prevent us from getting fixings in the outer rails which I consider a safety essential! It is about 125mm taller than an ultrapod or beach pod though. We don't shout about them in here very much as all 3 seat beaches have a multiflex board and they cost a bit more than a Slidepod Ultra. That said I would happily take genuine VW multiflex boards in part ex for a Multi Slidepod if people wanted.

Here are a few pics of a gloss black Slidepod Multi wirth a matching Comfortz Leisure Topper!SAM_9804.JPG SAM_9801.JPG SAM_9840.JPG SAM_9807.JPG

It would be absolutely no problem to make one for the SE if there is demand.

what sort of price would this be. I may be be up for such a SE pull draw

As for the 3seat beach pod, I agree to leave the fridge out. It's size depends on your habits, family size etc so can't make one that fits everyone. But it would be nice make a pod on top of which the fridge (say a WAECO) can be stored at night to save space.

If I look at the pod from California-compact.de, which I seriously considered and has a 10% vip discount, that comes to about 1000 GBP as well. Obviously it depends a lot on the finishing, robustness etc. If the finishing looks like the slidepod finishing, it looks better than the california-compact.de pod. So a bit higher might be okay as well.
I also considered the compact from maxxcamp but their options are way to expensive.

Also regarding the location of the water tanks. I think it would be a big plus if you can find a way to combine these two requirements:
- still be able to rotate the (UK passenger or EU driver) seat and use the tap from there
- replace or fill the tanks quite easily.

What I don't like about california compact is that you can no longer rotate the (EU driver's or UK passenger) seat and we need all 5 places as we are 5. This is why I stored the tanks inside the pod in my IKEA model. But they're not accessible enough.

More things
- There's quite some lost space if you go from the floor straight up to window level (side opposing the sliding door). It would be nice if has a smaller base, then follows the Cali's shape going up - a lot less wasted space.
- Having a dual integrated USB port charger (as offered by maxxcamp) and leisure battery tester in option is also nice. I'd definitely want it, if the price is not maxxcamp-like.

Another quite expensive option:
http://www.calibox.de
Always good to see other options and ideas, thanks for finding & posting.
They are certainly trying to cover all the options with their range, both 3 and 2 seater Beach variants. Some bits seem expensive ( €180 for a wooden box ), other modules not that different to Maxxcamp .
Like the look of the Lamello Clamex connectors for linking the modules together. Might be able to use that idea in the future:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/lamello-clamex-s-pro-kit-718713

Last edited:
Nice catch.
They seem to offer induction cooker. Wonder how long the leisure battery will last on that..
They hired a good photographer. But I wonder if I would move the kitchen unit parts outside so easily every day. Seems like a lot of work, bad for the back, and when it starts to rain...

I'm waiting for Slidepods interior pod (no pressure... :happy)

One more requirement on my wishlist: still being able to put up the beach table internally, either on a rail in the pod (like with maxxcamp compact) or in the existing rail. After all those looking for an internal pod expect to be camping in cold/wet weather so table is a must to play a game or eat inside.

Kave,
I haven't seen the calibox before. It does look like a lot of work, however the boot tray that it all sits on looks great for getting kit out when the seat is forward for camping trips. No doubt a fortune. Might be worth slidepod looking at in the future as his range expands. Another version of the utility pod, utility tray perhaps.

I'm afraid it will be a few months before we have a working prototype on the internal pod. Then it will need testing for a month or so pretty heavily to allow for design revisions before bringing it to market.

Not to mention finding someone willing to put it through its paces.... now where would I even begin to look for a tester??? :rolleyes:

Has anyone picked a copy of the new campervan magazine from the guys who publish MMM?

Jane and I have been chatting over the last couple of days about perhaps producing a pod or two to enable us to have a try before you buy service. We would stock them with pans, cutlary, aeropress, crockery etc etc. We would probably charge around £15 a night to rent them but obviously we would wave the rental charges for anyone who went ahead and purchased a Slidepod.

Do you think this would be a valuable service? Would you be interested if we do go ahead with it?

Kave,
I haven't seen the calibox before. It does look like a lot of work, however the boot tray that it all sits on looks great for getting kit out when the seat is forward for camping trips. No doubt a fortune. Might be worth slidepod looking at in the future as his range expands. Another version of the utility pod, utility tray perhaps.

It's a bit pricey, but this looks pretty much the same : CamperX

Heckauszug-Beach-458x458.jpg

Looks great but definitely not cheap. Try before you buy would be great but too far south for me unless you had a courier on board too.

Back