Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shaving ??

Not a cali subject but interested to know, now after 62 years, I have now decided to start wet shaving after spending hundreds on electric shavers of the years and now got to a point were I am fed up with them, also given change of jobs/ lifestyle ext have more time in the morning
So there are so many wet shavers and creams , foam, gel , applying by hand or brush safety shavers , 2,3,4,5 and even 6 blades its getting even more confusing, I have started with a basic kit and must admit i quite enjoy it , but being me i do like to research, so i would be interested in what other people do and use
Thanks
In a house with a bathroom. Wet shave. In Vanessa. Philips battery shaver.

I stopped shaving every day a few years ago. Now just shave once a week on a Monday morning and just rock the stubble after about Wednesday skin feels much better for it too and it’s therapeutic to rub the stubble! As for products, Aldi own brand does the job and at a fraction of the cost of the Gillette/Wilkinson Sword/Harry’s marketing machine. Although I went through a stage of watching “how real men shave” tutorials on you tube and was bewildered at the ceremony of it all and how much time these guys had on their hands!

do it properly…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZF8Y18/?tag=eliteelect-21

do it properly…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZF8Y18/?tag=eliteelect-21
Wow - my life’s pretty boring ;)

Things I gave up when I retired..
1. Shaving.
2. Wearing a suit.
3. Wearing a tie...ever....not even for weddings etc.
4. Wearing long trousers from April to September.

Very liberating.
Same here, trouble is I haven’t actually retired yet. I get a few raised eyebrows when I can be bothered to go to a clients office. I work on the principle that they need me more than I need them. Obviously if going to site it’s full PPE.

These days I dress better for the weekends than workdays.

I have all this up. I have always wet shaved snd have gone back to what I used otiginally. Fantastic band cheap and no plastic

SO

MERKUR DOVO 38C Safety Razor​

Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades​

Taylor of Old Bond Street 100g Wooden Bowl Sandalwood Herbal Shaving Soap​

Men's shaving Brush quality silver tip hair badger shaving brush​

well you can buy a much cheaper brush … but the Taylors soap will last YEARS and the Astra blades a hundred cost ten pounds. There is very low waste and the costs plummet. Given that splash out and get a good brush. There are vegan options

I always have wet shaved; I never got on with electric shavers (I found them ineffective and noisy, but then I’ve not used one for more than 20 years). I use Harry’s blades - I have a subscription, but I keep deferring the delivery because the blades last longer than they suggest. I hate how much packaging is used for cosmetics, especially the “luxury” plastics for tubes of gunk and cans for aerosols. I use shaving soap and (as suggested above) shave in the shower at home. Usually don’t bother shaving if in the van, but it’s fine with a bowl of warm water.

I'm tempted to try Harrys.
But for the last 16 years or so.......give or take the odd moment of short beards going on scruffy stubble. King of Shaves, blades and gel have served me well.

Recently bought a Skullshave Pitbull for the occasional lazy moment but that absolute skin only feel only ever comes from wet shaving and lasts a day for me....worth the 10 minutes.

PS
I start under my chin, up the sides and don't stop until the top of my head and back of my neck are shiny !!!!

Only twice in the last 44 years have I been beardless. First time the guard fell off the trimmer and left me with a bald stripe. Second time I was lighting a short reefer with a freshly filled Zippo in windy conditions, oh my goodness the smell of burnt hair was horrendous

I’ve had this set up for a while. I can recommend Kent for their shaving bowl refills. (I use King of Shaves oil when traveling light).

310688E8-9017-4BB6-B5AE-B86D615955DF.jpeg

Gillette Mach 3 from Amazon seem to be the best value / tech IMO. I like Nivea shaving GEL, not foam.

I typically shave every morning before showering with a Gilette Fusion blade and a shaving gel, usually from Gilette as well. I find the blades don't clog as much and stay sharper for more shaves.

The Fusion seemingly cost more than others but I get so many more shaves out of them (I change blades about once every 6 weeks if that) that it hardly matters. Even after so many times I find I get a closer shave than with any of the electric shavers I tried.

Back