Amateur colletors advice wanted

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Besides spending lots of time here on the forum , i am quite a colletor myself , mostly old advertising , enamel sigs , tins , packages ,...of products from the past . Some having memories of beeing a child and how it was visiting grandparents in the late 70 and early 80s ( i am born in 1973;)) .
Think i sort of inherited from my dad as he collected matchbox labels en sigar bands , i only found out after he died about 9y ago , my parents divorced when i was 3 so i never got to know my dad very well .
While looking in a few old boxes i collected from his appartment when he passed away i came accros all his matchbox labels .
Now beeing home a lot due CV i took the chance to dig out some old stuff....
I been selling them on a Belgian 2nd handsite and made a quite a few € ...:thumb

Now asking you guys from the UK if these matchboxlabels are something thats highly collectable in the UK as i found about hunderd of nice labels seems to be printed for UK market
Any advice welcome regarding value.
IMG_3766.JPG
IMG_3767.JPG

And if any of you are intrested that would even be better
Guess i need put up a add in the for sale section...:D

I had a look on e-bay there seems to be quiet a lot for sale appears not a great value I tried to sale my childhood stamp collections and it seemed something everyone collected 50 years ago as a child is far less collected today. Medals collected as a kid on the other hand seem to have been a good investment.

@Meoncoast , that trend we see here also , the things we did as childs like collecting things are not that cool these since computer and gaming came.
I started collecting stickers , lighters , matchboxes when arround 10-12y went on a few years but it got put of fashion...
As @Jabberwocky says to the right folk everything as a value , you need to find that person who is willing to spent a few €-£ for your old stuff....

Stamps are worthles , a guy from work is collecting stamps for over 40y .
He buys collections for little money , than takes out the unused (not stamped) and puts them in packs having value for one stamp (think it's just over 1€ now here) but these old unused stamps can still be used even if they are in Belgian Franks ....if the Franks are even to € you can still send letters with old stamps.
Thats buissines now a days , many people have collection stamps on the attic , just use them to send out your Xmas cards , easy money.

@Meoncoast , that trend we see here also , the things we did as childs like collecting things are not that cool these since computer and gaming came.

Ha, that's for sure. My kids (young adults) consider "collectables" to be vintage computer games consoles from the early 1990s. :)

HC I personally think your Dad's collection is great but that it will have more meaning and value to you than it would to someone else. If it was mine, I'd be turning the collection into some kind of wall art and having it somewhere in the house (downstairs loo?).

@Velma's Dad , in the loo using as paper to wipe of my @ss , good idea ...saving money on toilet paper:cool: .
No no , i will sell those to someone eventually.