Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scottish Camping, how do you find your site.

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, I am looking to visit the Scotland in the near future and wondered how people find sites.

Not sure where we are going yet but probably up the west coast. Is there a an app or web site that can be recommended.

Hi, I am looking to visit the Scotland in the near future and wondered how people find sites.

Not sure where we are going yet but probably up the west coast. Is there a an app or web site that can be recommended.
I start my plan for a trip using mymaps.google.com. this allows me to plot waypoints and plan a route.

Based on the waypoints that I have plotted, open another browser tab, click on a waypoint location and search for "camping" near there. It will show you sites near there. Check the site's website or Google listing to decide if it works for you.

We did a trip along the east coast year before. Nothing booked at all. Each day we would set a location target and once we get there, would look for places to park and do not have any issues anywhere. We were self sufficient in our Cali and many small town centers had washrooms and every alternate or third day, stop at a campsite to replenish the water in the Cali and empty the grey water.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php is a good webpage and also has an associated app. Park4night is also a recommended app.

Hope that helps.

In addition to https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/ as mentioned above, I use the following websites - not all camping sites are on all websites:

also I've become aware of this site, a kind of camping airbnb but haven't booked anything through it:

I actively avoid member-only /highly regulated sites (e.g. Caravan Motorhome Club etc).

I start my plan for a trip using mymaps.google.com. this allows me to plot waypoints and plan a route.

Based on the waypoints that I have plotted, open another browser tab, click on a waypoint location and search for "camping" near there. It will show you sites near there. Check the site's website or Google listing to decide if it works for you.

We did a trip along the east coast year before. Nothing booked at all. Each day we would set a location target and once we get there, would look for places to park and do not have any issues anywhere. We were self sufficient in our Cali and many small town centers had washrooms and every alternate or third day, stop at a campsite to replenish the water in the Cali and empty the grey water.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php is a good webpage and also has an associated app. Park4night is also a recommended app.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

In addition to https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/ as mentioned above, I use the following websites - not all camping sites are on all websites:

also I've become aware of this site, a kind of camping airbnb but haven't booked anything through it:

I actively avoid member-only /highly regulated sites (e.g. Caravan Motorhome Club etc).
Thank you.

You can get a map called "Scotlands Campsites and Caravan Parks", that is dedicated to showing campsites in Scotland. It has the contact details for them on the back.

We used it for our trip last year

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

ukcampsites.co.uk is very good. you can search by text or map and there's lots of filters you can apply, like: dogs allowed, near a beach, campfires allowed (and loads more). There's also honest site reviews by actual campers and links to the campsite's website, etc.

If you become a member (free) there's articles, advise, forums and competitions.

Sometimes I'll use it first to find somewhere, or to double check on a site I've found out about.

ukcampsites.co.uk is very good. you can search by text or map and there's lots of filters you can apply, like: dogs allowed, near a beach, campfires allowed (and loads more). There's also honest site reviews by actual campers and links to the campsite's website, etc.

If you become a member (free) there's articles, advise, forums and competitions.

Sometimes I'll use it first to find somewhere, or to double check on a site I've found out about.

Agree the information on the site is worth the effort of working round the poor web design and clunky interface

Archies, Free, has an app and regularly updated database covering the whole of Europe. Over 32,000 sites from big commercial sites to small certified locations and everything in between.
Find the area you want and zoom in to show sites.
Click on icon and you get name and basic information eg: No tents.
08B238A4-F344-4D32-B94D-F11C37A7527D.jpeg

Click on the ( i ) and you get GPS and contact information.

689911AD-52B4-41E3-94B4-681FFBF2A435.jpeg

Click on the Search icon ( magnifying glass) and you get Google with website link etc.

B3268C6C-52EC-4F20-8769-04ED9BBF59AF.jpeg

As I say, covers all of Europe. Has a lot more stuff such as routes, milage etc.

Thanks Elly

Archies, Free, has an app and regularly updated database covering the whole of Europe. Over 32,000 sites from big commercial sites to small certified locations and everything in between.
Find the area you want and zoom in to show sites.
Click on icon and you get name and basic information eg: No tents.
View attachment 63886

Click on the ( i ) and you get GPS and contact information.

View attachment 63887

Click on the Search icon ( magnifying glass) and you get Google with website link etc.

View attachment 63888

As I say, covers all of Europe. Has a lot more stuff such as routes, milage etc.

Thanks WG. I'll have a play with this.

We just open google maps wherever we land and find something that way. But happy to camp road side for a night or two if required.
To be honest, we can always find something if we want a campsite.

We just open google maps wherever we land and find something that way. But happy to camp road side for a night or two if required.
To be honest, we can always find something if we want a campsite.
Yes that's what we would normally do but in the current circumstances Mrs K wants to know we have sites booked for each night and certainly wont stealth camp which normally wouldn't bother her.