Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to France for first time... ever

Thanks for all your advice. Will stay at the Drum on the way to and from, booked a 5 night stay just outside Bordeaux and will book a couple more with some gaps to let us freestyle it.
Tunnel booked at £155 which I thought was pretty fair for a return price.
Anyone got any other site recommendations, Sth of Bordeaux towards the Pyrenees would be most excellent ! Small child on board so pool + beach all good. Vineyards also most welcome as we cycle everywhere !

If you head for Archachon below Bordeaux there are loads of sites down the coast, lovely sandy beaches. We haven't actually camped down there so can't give a recommendation. You can then head back to the motorway and on down to Bayonne and into the Pyrenees. It does get hellish busy down there though at French holiday times.

I can't help with choosing sites, but would say with regard to eurotunnel don't worry about when you turn up, we always book a later crossing than we really need & have always been offered a choice of crossings when we turn up early.

For example last week we got to folkestone at 8.30 for a 11.30 crossing & went on the 9.30

Last year we arrived at Calais at 23.30 for a 12 noon the next day crossing & the options were something like go at 01.00 for an extra £100 or go at 8am for no charge. We checked in & spent the night in a corner of the car park. Not the quietest nights sleep but secure & free with toilets & showers available in the terminal. I don't think we have ever actually gone on the crossing that we have booked.

We didn't have the gas checked or even asked about this time.