Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Saturday - test drive

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi everybody, this is my first post so here goes nothing...

I currently have a Range Rover Sport and my family (wife, myself, 2 kids and 2 dogs) and I spent almost every weekend last summer camping and enjoying the outdoor life. We just love it and have a substantial 10m Outwell air tent. We now have so much gear that we have to take two cars though, which is so unpractical.

After much consideration we decided to take a look at what vehicle we could get that would accommodate all of us and our gear - I didn't want a trailer or roof box. I went and looked at a few potential candidates (Merc GL, Land Rover Defender Utility XS) but nothing seemed to hit the button. I don't want to loose my creature comforts in the Range Rover... Next stop was the VW Commercial centre to look at the T5 Transporter Kombi as a friend has recommended it as a good compromise. I liked it but while I was there I feel head over heels for the California in the showroom. All I could think of was we would be no longer be constrained to just summer getaways and the packing would be greatly reduced. The idea would be to use the California as is for one nighters and winter but continue with the tent for the longer summer breaks (and use the California with the seats forward to carry the gear).

I've since read plenty of threads on this forum and watched just about every video on youtube and have now booked myself in for a test drive this Saturday. Here are my two questions:

1. Should I get a T5 with delivery miles for a good price now or order a new T6, spending quite a bit more and wait 4 months for delivery?
2. Does anybody that has bought a California that used to camp still get the tent out or do you strictly use the camper now?

Look forward to hearing your candid feedback...

Hi and welcome , if i did not owened a Cali yet and was lookng to spend money i would go for a T6 SE .
If budget is limited search for a T5 new showroommodel or low milage but guess hard to find and prices ar also high.
Eighter way both great verhicles imo.
Don't know if you can compare a RR with a T6 as for comfort , certainly the Cali has more comfort as a Defender , i swapt my Def to a Cali 4 years ago;)
Oh , forgat to say , once you test rided one .....SOLD....!:D

Depends, I got 6-7 months delivery of a beach yesterday, Ocean is even longer. I asked other dealers in germany and sweden and they all claimed spetember delivery if ordering now.
I would say a Cali is perfect for your setup, I don't see the point in a Transporter.
For me the tipping point was price, the 1 year old T5's with lesser equipment, ie no led headlamps or dcc was 5000€ less than a new T6, not worth it with the shorter warranty and worse consumption etc. Coming from a Range Rober you probably appreciate the nicer dashboard of the T6 as well.

T5 with delivery miles for a good price now or order a new T6, spending quite a bit more and wait 4 months for delivery?

We did the delivery t5 97miles no wait big saving but there was no T6 when we took the leap.also expect in 4 months the T6 Cali's at dealers will be for sale.

Anyway Welcome to the forum and what ever you go for I am sure you will not reget it.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. Here's some more information if it helps??

The T5 SE 140PS BMT DSG DSG I am looking at only has delivery miles and has just about every extra you would require including the colour sat nav, parking sensors bluetooth, additional 5 seat, heated seats, rain sensor, dimming mirror, awning, 17" alloys and mattress topper to name just a few. By my calculations a T6 with the same spec is going to come in around £10k+ more expensive and I can see that is different is the interior units colour and the dashboard is slightly more ergonomic. I am missing something about the T6 that makes it so much more waiting for? Also, interesting to hear lead times you folks are quoting versus the dealer that said 3, max 4 months...(I just spoke to my dealer and he again quoted those lead times). Anyhow going to so both on Saturday so here goes.

Again, thanks for the replies.

The T5 SE 140PS BMT DSG DSG I am looking at only has delivery miles and has just about every extra you would require including the colour sat nav, parking sensors bluetooth, additional 5 seat, heated seats, rain sensor, dimming mirror, awning, 17" alloys and mattress topper to name just a few. By my calculations a T6 with the same spec is going to come in around £10k+ more expensive and I can see that is different is the interior units colour and the dashboard is slightly more ergonomic. I am missing something about the T6 that makes it so much more waiting for? Also, interesting to hear lead times you folks are quoting versus the dealer that said 3, max 4 months...(I just spoke to my dealer and he again quoted those lead times). Anyhow going to so both on Saturday so here goes.

Whatever you do dont consider the Beach ...... you will end up buying one.

Thanks Tim. i've thoroughly researched the Beach already. As amazing as it is, it's not the right fit for our needs so it's and T5 SE or T6 Ocean for us. Luckily the dealer has both to view so we'll make s decision on Saturday. :) Excited to say the least.

the lead in time have always been a good few months which is why we bought our pre registered van

A T6 like for like is not worth 10k more than a T5, that is a good saving on new. The new T6 has all new more efficient engines but with any new models/engines there is the chance of problems, the last of the T5's had most of the issues ironed out. The T6 has a more modern dash and subtle angular styling but overall it's an evolution on the T5. If you want the latest order a T6 to your spec but you might miss this summer's use. Welcome to the forum. :thumb

A T6 like for like is not worth 10k more than a T5, that is a good saving on new. The new T6 has all new more efficient engines but with any new models/engines there is the chance of problems, the last of the T5's had most of the issues ironed out. The T6 has a more modern dash and subtle angular styling but overall it's an evolution on the T5. If you want the latest order a T6 to your spec but you might miss this summer's use. Welcome to the forum. :thumb

Thanks Larry. Sound advice.

Agree 100% with larrylamb, I went to look at the T6 at my local dealership in late November. Yes the T6 has a nice dash and a few extra lights in the roof of the upper bed and the dealership even had a T6 available to buy but it was loaded with options and nearly £57k, I could have ordered aT6 but dealer was talking about a May delivery slot if I was lucky. But they had a T5 same as the one your looking at, SE 140 DSG, with 35 miles on the clock and it was ready to go, after some serious negotiation we had a deal and we picked it up on the last day of November. We have used the vehicle for a few picnics, going camping in Feb half term and we are loving it. Yes it may be worth a bit less when we come to trade it in but I've never bought a car as an investment.

So much of the OP's thought process is familiar to me. We are swapping a 5series touring which we use for lots of camping trips with a 7man tent. After much deliberation we've opted for the T6 Ocean. Ordered 6th Jan, anticipated build week 12, delivery in early May. You should factor into your decision making that you can achieve the discounted price on 'drive the deal' eg. well over 9% off OTR price on my spec. edit- I should add we don't expect to take the 7man tent in future, but will consider the Vango airway driveway awning - research ongoing on that one.

It all comes down to whether you get going now. We bought ours in March as we didn't want to miss the easter or summer and we had an amazing time. No regrets as house bound for a bit now.
My hope is also that the last t5's might have all the problems ironed out too.
Fingers crossed as we have the 180 DSG 4motion!
Once you drive it there's only one thing you will want to do!

Some nice extras there, I can see it from both sides, having a new T6 or having a cheaper T5 now, both have their advantages.

I have a T5 and thought it was worthwhile talking about the extras you mention in case it helps:

- Sat Nav - I have this in the T5 and it's great (check it has DAB which is great too) BUT it is quite old and a little slow, I've learnt to live with it as I don't have access to any other Sat Nav's so it seems ok to me.

The T6 has a far better Sat Nav option and better connections to iPhone etc. (CarPlay / AppConnect)

- Parking sensors - Essential on any Cali for sure, same on T5 or T6.

- Bluetooth - Works great, probably not much difference on the T5 or T6

- Additional 5 seat - I have one, i'm not sure I know anyone who practically uses it, it's heavy and awkward to get in and out, so unless you really need it, it may just gather dust in the garage.

- Heated Seats - these are great, standard on the T5, not sure about T6.

- Rain sensor, dimming mirror, auto lights - these are ok, but I probably wouldn't miss if I didn't have them.

- Awning - essential!

- 17" Alloys - nice to have, note these do not come with bigger brakes (18" did)

- Mattress topper - nice to have, plenty of 3rd party options available too though.

Does it have a Multi Functional Steering Wheel? It should have with those options I'd imagine, I love mine but these can be fitted after with little problem if not.

Also does it have the full electronic Climate Control? This is a great extra that cost around £600 and cannot be retro-fitted, personally these was essential for me.

So, not sure if that helps at all reading it!

Personally I'm not sure what extras the T6 has available over the T5 that would make it essential, for me I'd enjoy the Media / Sat Nav options the T6 has, also the adaptive Cruise Control (speeds up and slows down depending on traffic in front of you)

But £10k is a fair bit of money, and suffice to say I get the impression you can push *really* hard on the ex demo T5 prices, so you might be able to negotiate even more, which could make the choice easier.

How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle for? 3 years, 5, 10?

Was trying to think about the depreciation curve and where they would meet, the T6 will lose a lot more in the first year or two off of list price I imagine (as all new cars do), but being a newer model will be worth more down the line.

At a (complete) guess in 3 years time based on T5 prices, I can see a £55k T6 being worth around £40/42k. A T5 probably around £32/33k.

The main factor for me is once you get to the campsite there's nothing I can see in the T6 that would make the camping experience more fun over a T5.

Not sure if it helps at all, if it was me I'd reluctantly get the T5 and push really hard for a discount, though if money no object then T6 all the way!

As a former tent camper, caravanner and now Cali owner I can share my experience on point 2. of your question.
We have a SE and as you intimated, its great for one/two nighters when you don't need to take loads of kit and snug and warm in colder months. You don't say how old your kids are or how big the dogs are but my two teenage daughters cope OK when they have to share the roof bed (us downstairs). However a few years back when they had to share a bed in a folding camper we had at the time, that was a lot less harmonious! Finding room for dogs while sleeping 4 up is a little more difficult, unless you are happy with them sleeping with you! Our smallish dog usually curls up on a blanket between the two front seats.
For longer stays we have an inflatable tent (Quechua MSH) from decathlon which sadly they don't appear to make anymore. It has add on pods which can be used to make it larger/provide extra sleeping space as required. We can load up the Cali with all we need for a couple of weeks away then the kids generally sleep in the tent with the dog and we use the Cali. The tent also provides a useful place to store stuff you dont want to take with you on days out.
We tried a drive away awning to start but quickly sold it. They are a PITA. We prefer what we have now which you can pitch very close to the Cali if you want to, or, as we often do, a bit further away and use the Cali wind out awning to 'link' together.
As for T5 vs T6, others have pretty much covered this. Depends whether you can wait and what deals are on offer. One point that is worth considering is whether you will be happy using the Cali as your daily driver or not. Different opinions on that - much as I love our Cali I'm in the 'not' camp and restrict Cali usage to weekends and holidays.

Thanks Reserves - It does have the climate and multi-functional wheel, so sounds like it has everything I'll need. I just need to check on the DAB. As for how long I will keep it, I'm not sure yet but would like to think it should be with us for many years and holidays.

Thanks Marshain70 - Our dogs are both small - cavalier king charles spaniel and a boston terrier. As for the kids they are 7 and 8 so they should be fine upstairs. I like the your idea of having tent and Cali. I guess it comes down to the drive and deal at the weekend.

I just need to check on the DAB.
Don't worry about the DAB/stereo there are plenty of aftermarket all singing, all dancing sat nav/dab stereos that are very reasonably priced and integrate with the phone, mfsw, parking sensors etc.

Don't worry about the DAB/stereo there are plenty of aftermarket all singing, all dancing sat nav/dab stereos that are very reasonably priced and integrate with the phone, mfsw, parking sensors etc.

True but the Factory fitted DAB aerial is in the drivers mirror so great to have, DAB is something I really love in mine and not a fan of aerials stuck to the windscreen.

VW%20T5%20retrofit%20original%20DAB%20aerial.jpg

Really miss DAB when I drive other cars but agree, not the end of the world.

If the Cali has RNS510 then it'll most certainly have DAB anyways.

Hi there, Just seen this thread, welcome Theonecraw.
I had your dilemma at the end of last year, and went for a T5, very similar spec to yours, but 180DSG.
If you have followed the forum, you will have read how much I love it.
I have had loads of great trips already, 2500 miles.
If for no other reason, the amount of fun I have already had is invaluable, you can't buy back time.
And I managed to push the dealer to 20% off new list,.
I think I prefer the front and dash and rear of the T5, and the sat nav works OK, though the new one sounds better. But they are very very minor points.
I am also not sure about depreciation, or the guesstimate above, if you consider That my T5 started at a lower level, I recon my losses would be similar or less, depending on how long I keep it. who knows, who cares.
So my advice, go for it now, seize the moment.
I certainly have no regrets, other than not doing it sooner.

Right then, the time has come. Just about to go and have my first drive in a Cali. It's also the first time my wife will have seen one in the flesh. Never thought I would be so excited to be 'potentially' trading in my pride and joy Range Rover Sport (with every extra you can imagine) for a VW... :Nailbiting

Someone here recently posted how much more fun and how much more time they spent in their Cali than their Lamborghini .

Have fun.

Maybe he turned the test drive in to a test weekend :bananadance