Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sagging roof in heat

• Thread starter From tent to van
  • Start date
From tent to van

From tent to van

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi. Yesterday and again today, my roof has sagged in the heat. Each time the upstairs lights do not work and the display shows an intermediate position. A quick open of the roof solves the issue.

This is a t6.1 ocean, MY23, 3 months old.

Question. Is, is it normal in 20-22 degrees to sag in the heat like this? If so, the summer should be fun!

Ben.

T6.1 known issue with leaking valves in roof hydraulics leading to sagging roof in quite short timeframe. Search forum for info.

T6.1 known issue with leaking valves in roof hydraulics leading to sagging roof in quite short timeframe. Search forum for info.
Is this still the case when only impacted by heat? I’ve done about 20 other nights and never sagged.

Hi. Yesterday and again today, my roof has sagged in the heat. Each time the upstairs lights do not work and the display shows an intermediate position. A quick open of the roof solves the issue.

This is a t6.1 ocean, MY23, 3 months old.

Question. Is, is it normal in 20-22 degrees to sag in the heat like this? If so, the summer should be fun!

Ben.
No it’s not normal. I’ve never noticed my MY22 doing it and I’ve had it in hotter conditions. I understand if it does do it it should self-correct.
I’d suggest the dealer needs to sort it.

Try putting the roof up and down 5 times in succession to bleed the system. If that doesn’t work you will probably end up having the pump replaced.

The roof of T5 always used to auto correct after about 3 days. Is it the same with a 6.1? Heat didn't have much to do with it.

You need a new pump, the fitted one is defective. We’ve been down this route. Good luck getting VW to pay for it, they’ll say the behaviour is normal. There’s a a thread on here somewhere where I share the whole sorry saga, and who we used to fix it.

Not normal. As said new pump. The heat can be a factor as hot oil is thinner it has a lower viscosity when hot so sneaks past faulty check valves more easily. The check valves are in the pump. The pump is expensive which is why you will be fobbed off until you insist. My t6 doesn't budge a mm for days on end in all temps. Show them the threads on here.

Thanks all. I’ve got it booked in early next month. Let’s see what happens.

Thanks all. I’ve got it booked in early next month. Let’s see what happens.
It might be worth asking your dealer if they have swapped a pump previously. Marshall’s VW Lincoln did mine. They were ok but had never done one before and van was away for 6 weeks.
Ask for a courtesy car or van. It won’t be a California but at least you’ll have something.

Looks like I have become a victim of sagging roof syndrome too! Does anyone know how long the warranty on the roof is by any chance?
Also, are there any dealerships on the island of Ireland that anyone can recommend that you would trust sorting out the problem?

Thanks!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Looks like I have become a victim of sagging roof syndrome too! Does anyone know how long the warranty on the roof is by any chance?
Also, are there any dealerships on the island of Ireland that anyone can recommend that you would trust sorting out the problem?

Thanks!

About a zillion roof convos on here - worth going through the wider search and seeing how others have managed - from dealing with it to fixing themselves to getting new pistons and pumps fitted. Depending on how long it takes to sag you will find the manual covers it and it's now "expected behaviour".

3 years, unless the original purchaser extended to 5 years
I bought the extended warranty, van will be 5 years old in January. Is the roof mechanism included in the extended warranty do you know?

About a zillion roof convos on here - worth going through the wider search and seeing how others have managed - from dealing with it to fixing themselves to getting new pistons and pumps fitted. Depending on how long it takes to sag you will find the manual covers it and it's now "expected behaviour".
Yeah, I think I've read most of them at this stage!

Yeah, I think I've read most of them at this stage!

You’ll see answers run from acceptable to acceptance to anger. TBH it’s been no big deal for us. It only happens after 2 or 3 days and we don’t usually stay at a site that long. Ours drops an inch most, so we just put it back up. I’d rather it didn’t happen at all and can image some who end up with a sag of a foot or so have a very good case. As it is a few inches is covered in the manual, for better or worse.

The dealers will continue to tell that the sag is normal; Most accept the bullsh@t from the dealers. They hope that by the time you get stuck in and really complain that your warranty will have almost expired.

Of course it’s not normal for the roof to sag!…does any of the VW marketing show a van with a saggy roof? Its also not normal for the roof to leak when it rains.

What is needed is to get enough interest to get a feature on one the TV consumer rights programs!

What is needed is to get enough interest to get a feature on one the TV consumer rights programs!
Ripoff Britain? Don't Get Done, Get Dom? Watchdog? Or Rogue Traders?

I bought the extended warranty, van will be 5 years old in January. Is the roof mechanism included in the extended warranty do you know?

Yes it is. Time to get photos/video of your sagged roof I'd say. Without them it might be difficult to convince a dealer you have a problem.

The Hydraulic roof has always sagged and that is why , at least on the T5/5.1, it automatically re-pressurises 10 hrs after ignition Off and thereafter at 5 hrly intervals if required. Why? Due to the different coefficients of expansion of the Hydraulic fluid and the metal cylinders when exposed to heat the Hydraulic fluid expands, the pressure rises and then the over pressure valve kicks in to release pressure . Once the system cools , sun moves position or sets, the Hydraulic system cools and the pressure drops in one or both rams and the roof sags on one or both sides and then when the time limit is reached the pump automatically engages to re-pressurise the system. This is the normal sequence of events.
So sagging in hot conditions is normal and self correcting . I presume the same should happen on the T6/6.1.
Sagging within a few hours of raising the roof is not normal but sagging day to night or hot to cold is normally corrected within 10 hrs of ignition Off.

Hi. The auto engagement of the roof is no longer on the California. VW have removed this for some time due to complaints of the roof readjusting in the middle of the night when people are sleeping. So a ‘manual’ lowering half way and raising of the roof is required. Mine lasts until the evening when it starts to cool and the roof drops a couple of inches, lights upstairs do not work etc.

I took mine to the dealer who couldn’t replicate the conditions of the sagging…even though I asked beforehand if they could replicate if not as hot and they said yes. I’ve been told to get pictures and videos and share with the dealer who will send to HQ.

Hi. The auto engagement of the roof is no longer on the California. VW have removed this for some time due to complaints of the roof readjusting in the middle of the night when people are sleeping. So a ‘manual’ lowering half way and raising of the roof is required. Mine lasts until the evening when it starts to cool and the roof drops a couple of inches, lights upstairs do not work etc.

I took mine to the dealer who couldn’t replicate the conditions of the sagging…even though I asked beforehand if they could replicate if not as hot and they said yes. I’ve been told to get pictures and videos and share with the dealer who will send to HQ.
I have never noticed my 6.1 roof sagging. Just spend 2 weeks in Wales with rain, sun, wind, 5 degree and 25 degree temperatures. We did move every 3 days or so though.

Back