Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof/ski box/rack

piddi

piddi

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't the topic anywhere.

Winter is closing in, and I'm looking for options to keep the skis out of the van. Last season I had them inside, and it got all wet and foggy after a day in the slopes, although I kept them in a bag.

So what are your experiences with ski racks for the roof?

And how about ski boxes?

Will I be able to open the pop-up roof even with the box on?

I mean, will the motor actually handle about 30 kilos extra, and will it be safe?

(Empty box weight for the model I'm looking at http://www.skiguard.no/no/950/skiguard-950)

Thanks!

The roof is specified to carry 50Kg max, so 30Kg is well with-in spec.
A top box will take you well over 2mtrs, which is an issue on the euro motorway system.

If you have a towbar, I would consider a back box. Not the cheapest route, but way more convenient than the roof box which will need a ladder to access it.

In my opinion Thule or MFT from Germany are the best ones about.

http://tinyurl.com/neqcoah

http://tinyurl.com/pq82om6

If access to the boot is not an issue, then the Thule is readily available.

However, if access to the boot is an issue, then the MFT backbox tilts out of the way very easily and you can add extensions to each end to take larger items such as skis.

Alan

Hi Piddi, its also worth looking at the Thule Ranger 500 as a lighter weight alternative to a traditional roof box. It comes with internal fittings for skis. I have one that I use for windsurfing sails, either in the van or on the roof. I haven't used it for skiing, but at 11kg its easy enough to get onto the roof bars, and keeps you well under the 50kg roof limit. It also folds in the middle which makes it easier to store when not in use.

Hi Briwy, where were you when this was taken?

apologies for the shameless plug but if you check the classifieds I'm selling a set of thule aero bars and ski / snowboard extender clamps
here's their promo video.

I use the Thule Pacific 600 roof box and really like it. It protects your skis from the elements and you can easily stow there 2 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of boots, poles and a backpack.
You can keep the whole setup within the weight limits and raising the roof is not problematic (look at my profile pic). Turning the engine on while lifting the pop-up roof works even better than just turning ignition on.

thule.jpg

Awesome replies as always, thanks guys!

@briwy I was actually thinking about that option myself, but strapping the skis directly onto the bicycle rack. I was looking at buying an original one for my bike anyway, and it seems to fold pretty flat. Think that could work, I mean without the clamps?

http://www.reisemobil-portal.de/frontend/images/cars/vki832-main.jpg

@AlanC
A top box will take you well over 2mtrs, which is an issue on the euro motorway system.
Could you elaborate on the motorway thing?

@bvirc a box is obviously the most convenient option if it lifts like that with no issues. I only see two minor problems:
1. Getting the "mutze" roof cap on - I guess I could always not lift the roof all the way up to compensate for the extra height.
2. There's a shopping center I visit frequently with 2.05 meter clearing... just works as it is now.

Last edited:

@briwy I was actually thinking about that option myself, but strapping the skis directly onto the bicycle rack. I was looking at buying an original one for my bike anyway, and it seems to fold pretty flat. Think that could work, I mean without the clamps?

@AlanC

@bvirc a box is obviously the most convenient option if it lifts like that with no issues. I only see two minor problems:
1. Getting the "mutze" roof cap on - I guess I could always not lift the roof all the way up to compensate for the extra height.
2. There's a shopping center I visit frequently with 2.05 meter clearing... just works as it is now.

I did consider it but was a bit concerned about 1. how to do it safely. (bungees were the obvious answer but worried about them snapping or slipping) 2. damage to the skis through rubbing on the bike rack frame.
As we already had the clamps I just took the folding down bike rack bits off and bolted the Thule clamps on.

Alan will no doubt reply but I think he is referring to the toll charges. Higher costs more.

This is what we did.

Fiamma rack for £50 off eBay, Thule ski clamps (which we already had) bolted to the rack.
You can do the same with the factory bike rack I just bolted mine Thales on vertically and clamped snowboard in place.

This is a photo of ours with Thule box.
We are not using it much as the Cali does not fit in a garage due to height and we tend to have less stuff on our trips. We use another car for winter and skiing and the box goes on it when needed.
IMG_3016_zpsijuletuu.jpg

http://www.reisemobil-portal.de/frontend/images/cars/vki832-main.jpg

@AlanC

Sorry for the late reply, currently in France so not looking at the forum.

The French motorway tolls have a 2 metre height bar on most of the pay booths. As the Cali is 1.9mtrs high you can get under this height restriction, but with a top box you will only be able to use the non height restricted toll booth. There are fewer of these available at the Peage.

Alan

This is a photo of ours with Thule box.
We are not using it much as the Cali does not fit in a garage due to height and we tend to have less stuff on our trips. We use another car for winter and skiing and the box goes on it when needed.
IMG_3016_zpsijuletuu.jpg
Out of curiosity, is there a reason for not placing the box on the off-side; would it not be more easy to access the box by standing on the rear door step then?

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"

Out of curiosity, is there a reason for not placing the box on the off-side; would it not be more easy to access the box by standing on the rear door step then?

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"
If, you mean the right side of the van, there are difficulties to access the box because of the awning. If you are parked in a camp, you need to close the awning to get to the box. We used the box only the first season, then I persuaded my wife we don't need that many things with us. :thumb
We are traveling with less and every year. But, we are almost every day on a different location. I would take my kayak and bicycles, if we would go camping for a week.

The roof is specified to carry 50Kg max, so 30Kg is well with-in spec.

If you have a towbar, I would consider a back box. Not the cheapest route, but way more convenient than the roof box which will need a ladder to access it.

In my opinion Thule or MFT from Germany are the best ones about.

http://tinyurl.com/neqcoah

http://tinyurl.com/pq82om6

If access to the boot is not an issue, then the Thule is readily available.

However, if access to the boot is an issue, then the MFT backbox tilts out of the way very easily and you can add extensions to each end to take larger items such as skis.

Alan

Do you know if 50kg carrying capacity is with roof closed and raised...??? Or maybe just closed?

I'm with you, get a rack on the back/towbar.

Last year I had 5 people, 4 set of skis, 1 snowboard, boots and bags with space to spare on a weeks trip to Chamonix. Couldn't think of a better vehicle to be in for such a long journey and enough space for 5 adults:thumb

If, you mean the right side of the van, there are difficulties to access the box because of the awning. If you are parked in a camp, you need to close the awning to get to the box. We used the box only the first season, then I persuaded my wife we don't need that many things with us. :thumb
We are traveling with less and every year. But, we are almost every day on a different location. I would take my kayak and bicycles, if we would go camping for a week.
Ah-ha! My previous camper was a T5 conversion, which I use for scuba diving trips, so the roof box is essential to hold wet suits, fins (i.e. large but not heavy)- can't by without a top box- that van did not have an awning though. I take your point about less and less. I still remember the first time we took the camper away- we couldn't move for stuff.

Do you know if 50kg carrying capacity is with roof closed and raised...??? Or maybe just closed?

I'm with you, get a rack on the back/towbar.

Last year I had 5 people, 4 set of skis, 1 snowboard, boots and bags with space to spare on a weeks trip to Chamonix. Couldn't think of a better vehicle to be in for such a long journey and enough space for 5 adults:thumb
Are you saying you had all this inside the cali? I imagine 4 set of skis inside would be problematic?

Are you saying you had all this inside the cali? I imagine 4 set of skis inside would be problematic?

Yep.
It's a Cali Beach 3 seater and I removed the multi-flex board for the trip.
But yes, all the kit in the boot and the passengers still had plenty of foot room on the rear seat.
Infact had six people and another set of skis as we met an old friend at Chamonix. So he squeezed in to get a lift to some of the different areas.

We once fitted 4 adults, 4 snowboards and all our gear inside a Mk3 Golf for a trip to Chamonix. That was a bit of a squeeze!

@Slovenia - are you able to fit a kayak on at the same time as your roof box? I've been looking at ways of doing this for longer trips and think I've found a Thule set up that would do it but not sure.

@Slovenia - are you able to fit a kayak on at the same time as your roof box? I've been looking at ways of doing this for longer trips and think I've found a Thule set up that would do it but not sure.
Sorry for late reply. Had a fantastic week in a beautiful camp on an island Cres in Croatia. I highly recommend it, especially for dog owners. Camp Slatina Martinščica: http://www.camp-slatina.com/
37897315.jpg

Regarding the kayak and a box. I had this combination on a BMW X5, our previous car. Never tried it on a Cali, but it could fit. The combination is too wide for an Audi A4, I checked it when we bought it. It is important to check the weight of your kayak, weight of the box and the rack. Our rack is Thule and we use this kayak rack:
thule-874-xl.jpg

We use Cali for traveling and very rarely we stay in one place more than four days. I missed my kayak this week..
Nemo-full_small.jpg

A5CE1508-8534-4F6B-914F-AC3651B78642.jpeg 0FF59908-DE0A-41CD-8757-B759753F62FE.jpeg 7636F01A-F0B1-4426-A513-F3B5045B4084.jpeg Just thought I’d share my solution for carrying skis this winter, seems like it will work well, I will need to add a locking cable as an addition to the locks on the Nordrive ski rack (same as Thule).
I didn’t want them on the roof for all the reasons mentioned above, particularly as I want to use a Cali topper in the alps.
As you can see the rack still folds up when it has no skis on it and it takes less then 2 minutes to remove it.

View attachment 27922 View attachment 27921 View attachment 27920 Just thought I’d share my solution for carrying skis this winter, seems like it will work well, I will need to add a locking cable as an addition to the locks on the Nordrive ski rack (same as Thule).
I didn’t want them on the roof for all the reasons mentioned above, particularly as I want to use a Cali topper in the alps.
As you can see the rack still folds up when it has no skis on it and it takes less then 2 minutes to remove it.
Do you think your solution would would with the Atera Strada DL with the 4th bike adapter? http://www.atera.co.uk/scripts/rbve...ghts_no_ar2603/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure5K{W}

I’d like to keep skis off the roof if we go back to France this season to keep under 2m