Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

roof bellows issue any advice b4 i see dealership?

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
used roof for first time in a few months this weekend.
it failed to close / seat properly sat pm thought it might be wind so raised it, tried again and all OK. Foolishly I did not check visually outside but just repeated procedure.
Then on sunday closing again it failed to do so just made a bump noise. Looked outside could not really see why front would not seat so raised it a little bit to see part of bellows canvas trapped with scissor arm hence roof will not seat.
Raised roof fully. went inside roof and pulled on the the tensioning wire a bit. Watched roof carefully as it closed and did so no problem. NO wind at all this day.
and yes...cab windows open, sliding door open etc etc as usual so nothing I did or forgot to do.
It has caused some minor damage to small area of canvas in one area where trapped - more of a chafe than a tear but threadbare in a couple of places.
I will be contacting dealer 2morrow to have system checked over and assess damage to canvas but I think I should get it replaced as not caused by me at all.
Prob unable to sort b4 calis on farm hope we dont end up learning how to manually lower a roof and secure it next weekend but at least we will be amongst help!
I've always worried about this electric roof, nice toy but potentially can breakdown as its mechanical...oh well...still much nicer than a Reimo one ;)

Shame to hear that David. These roof's are just soo fragile. :headbang

have just had a read of the pertinent thread found by searching so prob best if I post up any update on that one. looks like its another issue...best check for blistering paint now! :lol:

My 6 week old Cali has been back and forth to the dealers with this problem. Parts have been ordered from Germany to resolve it hopefully. It require a complete new hydraulics rack on one side. Didn't think I would have this problem with a VW ? Never mind, warranty's are a great thing. The technician (used to be called mechanic when I was younger) said he had seen a number of problems with them ?

I am sorry to hear that David, I am not sure the Beach roofs are any better but I know the electronics add risk.

We'll be there at COTF to help out if required :)

James

not great news david ... :sad ..... your right i would rather have a manual roof as standard and the electric roof as an option when you order ....i would have a manual one i think to ....

not helping you ,but i have the proto type plastic for the new cali anti - scissor device that will be in production very soon and vw uk have taken an interest in it i believe ..it's an upgrade from the t5 one thats on the market and will be around a tenner ....

hope you get sorted

well good chance for me to find out more about fitting an extra this weekend.
Update: Listers (Cov) took bus into workshop for inspection just now...they are going to fit a new canvas and replace scissor mechanism on one side as they think its a bit iffy in operation...
no probs, no suggestiung customer caused fault, no quibbles just first class servuce again.

Good news there david I'm glad it is being sorted for you :thumb

Mmmh! I read enough posts now to realise that the whole roof and bellows arrangement is too complex and too fragile. My Berghaus cali is now 17 months old and despite being very very careful we now have nicks in both sides caused by the scissor action of the roof supports towards the back of the roof.These nicks are no more than half an inch or less, two on each side adjacent to each other, as I am sure is typical. Certainly for us, when this happens there is an associated bend in the roof, small but noticeable. Obviously, there is no room for that loop of material that pops through the struts when the roof closes, so it bends the roof.
We near Aberdeen, and our local dealer has little or no experience of Cali's and probably none at replacing the roof or bellows. So, as it causes no problem at all, I have decided to live with it on the basis that a bad replacement could be worse.

However, I would like to repair these nicks and wonder how best to do this. I realise that a stiff repair could make the problem worse. Advice anyone?

Finally, I have found that the only way to prevent these problems is indeed to have the doors open when you close the roof but to also do a visual inside the roof space as you close the roof, pulling the material in as you go. The front bellows panel can be pulled down and in right up until the moment of closure.

Had our Cali since 07' wife likes to press the button but makes me watch the operation from outside just in case - only problem we have had with the roof was the c-clip for one of the hydraulic arms shearing, resulting in the roof not closing... think the part cost a tenner luckily we were at home after a trip and just airing the roof. It would be good if you could spec the roof a manual roof would suit me fine and maybe some other options - could do without some of the unit width for a three seat back seat/ wider bed. Think Concept multi car can do it in the Reimo range but the price starts to mount up as you spec up the base vehicle - will be reviewing options soon for a new Cali or equiv. Have heard that the new bi-turbo is not as good as the old 5 cylinder unit???

Hey there, I've experienced similar 'pinching' on my roof canvas in windy conditions. Has anybody seen materials for decent patch repairs? The roof isn't covered under warranty and I'm wishing to avoid a claim for an expensive replacement for only slight damage. Thanks in advance.

Had entire roof replaced on my 2008 Cali under warranty shortly after buying. First overseas trip to Germany ( irony) and when we closed the roof the rear folding strip folded out instead of in, got trapped in the concertina hinge but the motor is so powerful it kept on going even though that side could not close the last inch due to the trapped material. It buckled the roof! Clearly a design flaw.....

I'm new to the California experience but after having it only 3 days,I'm having roof problems already.
It wouldn't close all the way down so I raised it back up again and it finally went down. On an external inspection,it sits 6-8mm off to one side at the front and the seal fouls the roof gutter so it's off to the dealers for them to inspect.
After only covering 320 miles I'm not happy and can feel "buyers remorse" setting in.

motorpaint » 07 Oct 2013, 22:05

I'm new to the California experience but after having it only 3 days,I'm having roof problems already.
It wouldn't close all the way down so I raised it back up again and it finally went down. On an external inspection,it sits 6-8mm off to one side at the front and the seal fouls the roof gutter so it's off to the dealers for them to inspect.
After only covering 320 miles I'm not happy and can feel "buyers remorse" setting in.

I noticed my Beach roof wasn't right on the second day a I had it. It had buckled very slightly on each side at the back hinge fixing and the edge had a wave effect to it down the passenger side. You could only see this in good light and looking directly along the roofline. The roof also stuck up 3-5mm more on the drivers side judging by the amount of black seal visible. When I walked around the new Californias several Beaches and SE seemed to have the roof sticking up higher on the drivers side.

VW are replacing the roof and I'm hoping they do the canvas at the same time as it has a couple of nicks in the same area. Like you I was very disappointed, but very please when they agreed to a new roof.

Andy

Mine must have been twisted too as the roof is also deformed on one side. It also has a number of scratches underneath the roof by the side of the N/S rear hinge so i suspect that some work has been attempted before.
It is now having a complete new roof-canvas and top but I'm told that they will not replace the struts. I feel that this is a mistake as the roof does not rise or fall evenly so I'm expecting it to fail again! All this at only 420 miles from new.
I can't understand why the dealer did not check over the California before I collected it,this would have saved me a lot of stress having to take it back and complain. No-one likes to go back into a dealership and moan do they?
If and when I get it back,I'll tell the whole story of how the Cali was presented to me and some of the tall stories I've been told so far by the dealer.

More to come me thinks!

Mike.

Not good news there mike :headbang I can't believe the way some dealers operate
Keep us posted

motorpaint said:
Mine must have been twisted too as the roof is also deformed on one side. It also has a number of scratches underneath the roof by the side of the N/S rear hinge so i suspect that some work has been attempted before.
It is now having a complete new roof-canvas and top but I'm told that they will not replace the struts. I feel that this is a mistake as the roof does not rise or fall evenly so I'm expecting it to fail again! All this at only 420 miles from new.
I can't understand why the dealer did not check over the California before I collected it,this would have saved me a lot of stress having to take it back and complain. No-one likes to go back into a dealership and moan do they?
If and when I get it back,I'll tell the whole story of how the Cali was presented to me and some of the tall stories I've been told so far by the dealer.

More to come me thinks!

Mike.

It may not be the struts that cause it to lower unevenly. Have had a couple that have done this where the pump has been at fault as it has a valve in it for raising and lowering that fails and this causes the roof to come down unevenly. If the struts are failing then with the vehicles we have seen that have had new struts, this is because the roof sinks on one side once it is up for a period of time. We also had one California where the roof was not coming down evenly and after some use it was absolutely perfect and has not been a problem since.

Give them a chance to repair it, and when you collect the vehicle from them ask for someone to come out and watch the roof operation with you to see how it closes and go from there and see what they say if it does not close properly.

cheers

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum but I had this problem with my 08 Cali which led to the entire roof being replaced ( fortunately under warranty). There's a design fault since they put the flexible strut at the rear next to the elevating hinge & in our case the strut folded out instead of in, got trapped in the hinge but the motor must be powerful & it kept lowering. Result was buckled roof

The dealership has been back in touch with me and told me that they wanted to replace the whole roof but VW only provide replacements in white,silver & black. My California is blue so it would need to be colour coded.
Here's the problem;
A new roof is supplied already built with all seals and roof lining bonded in place. Their VW approved body shop refused to repaint it in that ready to go state so I've been offered my money back.
I get the impression that they don't want to go through the process of attempting a replacement/repair and me not be happy with the end result.
It makes me wonder what they will do with the vehicle.Pass it on to someone else hoping they don't pick up on the faults as I did?

To be fair,they came back to me later with the offer of a replacement California but as yet,one is yet to be found. :headbang

Surely it must be fixed before they sell it if you end up with a new one. Hopefully the prospective
Buyer would have read your story on here. Madness

When mine was replaced under warranty it came painted to my Cali Colour ( Fresco Green); in fact the dealer told me they sent one from Germany the wrong colour first time! Sounds like standards have slipped...as I said it is clearly a design fault they have yet to fix

The dealer did ask VW to supply a complete roof in the correct colour directly off the production line but I was told it was unlikely that one would be made available.
It is a problem that must be sorted otherwise what happens if one of us sustains roof damage resulting in an insurance claim?
Do the write the vehicle off?

Hmm.....I had a call from Citygate this morning and they have a new Sunny Yellow roof and bellows ready for my Beach. They have their own bodyshop and I think they had it delivered there, painted it and transferred to to the dealership ready for fittting, or it may have come from Germany (I don't think so- I will ask). Apparently Sunny Yellow does not require the same blending work as some of the more exotic (expensive) colours. Don't tell James that Sunny Yellow is not exotic :smile

See my post under Beach roof.

Andy

Not all colours are available. The last one we did came through white and we sent away to approved body shop to have painted and is absolutely spot on.

cheers