Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bars and solar panel

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have installed on of Rogers excellent solar panels. I was wondering about roof bars. Occasionally I would like the options of fitting roof bars, mainly to carry a 8 foot surf board. I would rather not keep taking all the bolts off the solar panel every time I mount the bars and also know that Roof bar shadow effect the panels efficiency. Just wondered if any one had any solutions they have found works with this set up

The solar panel I have mounts into the roof groves where the bars go

I have had roof bars and a single solar panel for 2.5 years and it has been fine. Sun would have to be very low in the sky to cast a shadow on the panel.

I think that advice is to go for 2 panels in order to compensate for low sun and/or obscured sun hitting the panels due to the roof bars and any load being carried.

But does that mean I have to keep the roof bars on all the time as they need to go past the bolts securing the panels, if you see what I mean. Or can you mount the bars for easy removal. Would like to take them off when not using them for keeping under the 2 m barriers

But does that mean I have to keep the roof bars on all the time as they need to go past the bolts securing the panels, if you see what I mean. Or can you mount the bars for easy removal. Would like to take them off when not using them for keeping under the 2 m barriers
Interesting dilemma. I guess that you can see if the bars work for you if you position the solar panels central on the roof. Allowing the each bar to slide in/out at very front and very rear of track.

I know mine is a marcopolo but similar concept. See picture, I keep the base of the Thule fitting kit to the front end of the roof, doesn’t rattle around and allows you to for the roof bars when you require them. Avoids taking the solar panel off when you need the roof bars. You can move them into position when you want them, they slide freely. You can see my solar panels fitted at the rear of the van.18EDB3C5-9D30-4A9E-A9AD-41CB5D935817.jpeg

Get the self adhesive solar panels that attach directly to the roof. Then you can just fit roof bars as & when required.

I have two of Roger's panels and install roof bars and a tandem carrier whenever we need to transport our tandem or our tandem triplet.
1592235448921.png

One roof bar goes in front of the solar panels, the other bar goes behind them. Removing the bars and tandem carrier is a fairly simple and quick one person job, and I do it without detaching the tandem carrier from the bars.

I have two of Roger's panels and install roof bars and a tandem carrier whenever we need to transport our tandem or our tandem triplet.
View attachment 60925

One roof bar goes in front of the solar panels, the other bar goes behind them. Removing the bars and tandem carrier is a fairly simple and quick one person job, and I do it without detaching the tandem carrier from the bars.

Amarillo, you must get some odd looks with the Tandem on top of the Cali... :thumb

Amarillo, you must get some odd looks with the Tandem on top of the Cali... :thumb
We get odd looks just riding the triplet. I have now dusted off my flatbed bicycle trailer, and attached the hitch to the triplet. Once lockdown ends I can go cycle touring with the two boys.

Here's the trailer and box attached to my Brompton.
1592236979193.png

That makes sense nd bar at each end .. thank everyone