• Thread starter OllieCollieCali
  • Start date
OllieCollieCali

OllieCollieCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi All,
I already have a solar set up on my van, which was installed by a previous owner. Unfortunately the solar panel seems to have failed. I have done a voltage check on the connections on the panel and there is no power, so it appears its the panel and not the controller.

I am looking at replacement panels, and am confident I can replace them myself as all of the other wiring is already in place. I currently have a semi flexible panel by "Ecoworthy" and this controller - https://sunworks.co.uk/product/dual-battery-solar-charge-controller-db2cblk/ which charges engine and leisure batteries and can go up to 240W.
I have heard that the solid aluminium framed panels are better, but I see most people in here all go for the thinner semi-flexible panels - im assuming for the weight and height benefits?
Im thinking of replacing with 2 panels as the controller is capable of taking them. But wondering which panels to go for / where to get them? there are so many suppliers out there and all look similar. So wondered if theres any you recommend? I could get another 130w panel for £99.95 from ecoworthy the same as the one i already have, and double up to make 260w (I know over the controllers 240w, but they never reach full capacity / power) Lots of people use Roger and Camper Solar solutions, which I have also had a look at, but I only need the panes, and seem a lot more expensive than some of the other panels I have seen. Is there a big difference in panels the more you pay?
I also notice the controller is a PWM rather than MPPT not sure if this affects the choice of panels?

Many thanks for any advice!PXL_20230622_154659917.jpgPXL_20230622_143640646.jpg

Just buy one of Rogers latest panels. The panel does not care what you plug it into, the unit just converts what it gets, with MPPT units being more efficient by about 30%. His are more expensive but if you just get the panel and the club discount they are already fitted with all the fixtures you need and you have someone on here to get support from - invaluable given the nature of these. He will sell on their own if you mail him.

IMG_7478.jpeg
3x 120w panels from MidSummer.
In serial.
On a 20a Epever Duo Racer MMPT
It’s the 120W DOUBLE ETFE Solar Panel - Lightweight + Rigid TOP EXIT
Ring and ask David for a bulk discount / nhs / BlueLight.

I bought some unequal black anodised aluminium
With a very low lip.
Sicoflex and pop rivets. Job done.
Took 3 days to construct but for £500 for 360w of power and 50 volts.
My batteries charge up from 08:00 to 10:45.
From 12v to 12.8v