Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rollout Awning

J

jamescropp

Hi, I bought a secondhand California in October last year and haven' t really used it much so far due to the weather. It has a rollout awning but I was rather stupid and forgot to check to see if it works and how to use it. I have no instructions for its use either! I saw a video showing someone put up a driveaway awning and they used some sort of winch handle to roll it out. I am also unable to find that. Does any one know where I can find a manual and also a winch handle (is there any where specific in the California they are usually stored?)? Thanks

Hi James the awning handle should be clipped in the drawer that pulls out under the bed :thumb

the handle is located in the drawer under the rear bench seat

It is there! Thanks very much for your help! Will try it out tomorrow.

And remember when rolling it out, to go no further than 0.5 m before extending the legs for support :thumb

. . . . and once it is fully out, wind it back in slightly to tension the canvas - stops it flapping. I keep mine secured (pegged / strapped to the ground) at all times - a lot of damage can be done if the wind lifts it up and blows it over the van.

Lewis

Tie down straps are a good idea too.
It took us ages to realise you don't have to wind it all the way out! It makes a handy porch even if you only wind out a couple of feet.

Hi All

Thanks for all your help. I have found the handle and wound it out about 50 cm. How do I now get the legs down? I assume you swivel up the black plastic end but this seams to be stuck. Am I doing something wrong?

If I eventually get it to work is there anything particular you need to buy e.g.. specific guy ropes?

Thanks

In centre of awning pull each pole foot outwards against spring & swing down. Easy really.
Need some sort of tie down if you are going to leave up overnight. If wind gets up it can do a LOT of damage very quickly. There are several sorts of ratchet tie downs. Google is your friend.

Is the problem that once you have the legs released from the canopy case, you can't extend them to reach the ground?

I had heart palpitations with the black plastic lever that you have to release to get the extending part of the legs to release ... They were horrendously tight, and took and excessive amount of brute force to release. I was convinced I'd break the lever, but was given the confidence to keep on applying excessive pressure to release them by others on this forum - they did eventually release and the levers didn't break! Once released, played with them for 5 mins to loosen them up - they work fine now!

You just need to ignore the feeling that you are going to break the lever the first time you have to struggle to release it!

Thanks for all your help! It is all working fine thanks to your advice!

Back