Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fixing driveaway awning to Cali with Thule wind out

L

Louise B

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We’ve bought an outwell driveaway awning for our Cali, a 62 plate, and not sure if the Thule wind out awning is factory fitted therefore difficult to remove. The driveaway awning comes with the 7 + 5 beading connect set which would fit on van if we took the Thule off but what would we need to use to keep the Thule, also has a small fixing groove, if it was unwise to remove it? I’ve seen the figure of eight sets but don’t think I need that if I take Thule off. Can‘t imagine the magnetic strip thing working as we have the pop up roof. Thanks in anticipation for sharing of knowledge. Louise

Hi Louise & :welcome
the Thule wind out awning is factory fitted

there are Various ways you can connect a drive away awning to the Thule wind out awning :

will post some threads to assist in your decision:

edit

the wind out awning can be used to extend the distance between your van and the Drive away awning, additional tarps or specifically made sides can be fitted to the wind out

more to follow

edit: link to general threads on Kador strip discussion on this site .

shop

F2C3BCE9-D6CA-4EC3-9732-7F7296BAD3E1.jpeg

DDEF4DCE-0454-4686-AC59-C5B5E04FD939.jpeg

56C3919A-8E6C-45A7-B832-8F007B0C2267.png

AFD13F50-C998-4C06-ACCB-794C0E6067D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Louise & :welcome
the Thule wind out awning is factory fitted

there are Various ways you can connect a drive away awning to the Thule wind out awning :

will post some threads to assist in your decision:

edit

the wind out awning can be used to extend the distance between your van and the Drive away awning, additional tarps or specifically made sides can be fitted to the wind out

more to follow

edit: link to general threads on Kador strip discussion on this site .

shop

View attachment 84576

View attachment 84578

View attachment 84579

View attachment 84580
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. So helpful!

Our drive away awning has a sleeve at the connection end that takes a metal pole,
put the pole in the sleeve,
wind out Cali awning a foot,
hold pole up to Cali awning,
velcro strap at each end round the pole & the header bar for cali awning.
Wind cali Awning back in to tension the connection.
Saves a lot of faffing.

On sunny days park 2m further away from the drive away awning & wind it out for a canopy before you get to the tent.

We wind out the wind out awning then connect the driveaway. It gives loads of extra space (if the weather’s not good or we want privacy we use good quality grey shower curtains at the sides of the wind out (attached van end to where the edge of the awning meets the van, so not from the “arms”).

One bonus of it is if we drive away, when we get back we don’t need to in exactly the same place as before, just straight. I like a taut tunnel (ooher Mrs!) and you can wind the awning in a bit to achieve that.

If you’re at a place where you’re not sure how much space you’ll have you can put the Cali one side of the pitch, driveaway out on the other side and just fill the gap with the windout.

Back