Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roadhawk HD

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Seriously thinking of purchasing a Roadhawk HD. Looking through the forum I know some of you have them fitted. Can the wiring from the camera be hidden under the rubber window seal and how straightforward is it to fit the hard wiring kit. :?: Cheers

I have a Blackvue DR400 HD mounted behind the rear view mirror. Wiring is tucked behind roof lining and RH pillar lining. Powered from socket behind RH dashboard end cover. Totally invisible when sitting in the driving seat.

Thanks sounds a good option. I assume you fitted the socket behind RH dashboard end cover, was it straightforward to fit?

Very easy to fit.
End panel just pops off. Plenty of room in there for double socket ... camera and sat nav.
File a small groove in the top of the end panel to feed cables to bottom of pillar.
Can't remember which power wires I connected to ..... fitted it back in 2010.
Best tool for fishing cables through behind dashboard is a bicycle brake cable ..... flexible but firm enough to push through wiring.
Cheers,
Bill

Thanks Bill, your advice is appreciated
Cheers
Ronnie :thanks

I'm an authorised fitter for road hawk, you can tuck the wires away quite easily and get a live feed from the light switches using the hard wiring kit. Just pop the side panel off and splice into the wiring. :D

Thanks for the info. The Roadhawk HD is on order . I was also considering ordering the hard wiring kit but I am unsure if leaving a camera un-attended in a vehicle is a sensible thing to do. Something else possibly for the numpties to steal!!
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Ronnie

You'll be surprised by how small it is, when it's put up by the mirror you can hardly see it. I have one fitted for show and it's been there for ages. ;)

This was something quite recent, you'll notice that the moron didn't even spot the camera so they're pretty safe. This only happened recently and went viral on Facebook and the VW T5 forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsq80C7bSMU&feature=youtu.be

We now have forward facing cameras in all of our trucks at work.
Is on my list of things for my Cali.

We can supply these to members here with 10% off the RRP. :thumb

Regarding the Roadhawk HD, watched the scum on U tube stealing spoiler etc. You mention the camera is very small but looking on web there are many models to choose. What model are you describing please. Paul.

Thanks for all the reply's. Now thinking the 720 would be ideal as a rear view camera

pingpal6 said:
Thanks for all the reply's. Now thinking the 720 would be ideal as a rear view camera

It's small enough to fit at the rear and would be perfect for that.

Can I ask did you also fit the External GPS Antenna? It is only recommended for vehicles with heated screens but if fitted would it also improve the GPS? :thanks

I didn't need to use it, it worked perfectly without it.

It looks the same as any other gps unit and would stick to the side of the screen.

Regards

Terry

:help
Have now purchased the Roadhawk HD for the front and the Roadhawk 720 as a rear facing camera. Impressed with the quality of both cameras. Have also purchased the hardwiring kit for the Roadhawk HD. As suggested in the forum, going to hide the hard wiring kit by removing the RH dash end panel. Now need to find a 12v feed and splice into the cable. Anybody suggest a wire to connect into? :thanks

Hazard light switch is a favourite for permanently on, or cigarette lighter socket.

Back