Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear door brake light

Our 2014 Cali has been with the dealer this week having a few warranty items fixed - including a missing rear brake light cover.

They initially said I must pay for the replacement part as I didn't have the original for them to return to VW for investigation (it had fallen off somewhere on the M1!)

They also said this was not a known fault and that they had not seen one like it before, despite dealing with Cali's regularly.

I sent them a link to this thread but they said they couldn't take into account information on forums...

(This last part worried me a bit!)

Happily they have relented (mainly because it is a small amount, £20 I think) and I am otherwise very happy - but please do be aware not all dealers will see this as a straightforward warranty issue.

At Campercenter Amersfoort ( Netherlands) they themself warned me there's a problem on the rear breaklights with waterinfiltration....
Think you need to find a dealer with Cali- knowlegde.....
But best for you it is fixed anyhow....;)

Further to previous posts about tailgate brake light lens popping out and subsequent water ingress, I encountered this problem last weekend whist driving from Edinburgh up to Fort William. I was aware that lens/clip was broken and there was a gap where lens had popped out and I had tried to do temporary repair with a piece of sellotape. We stopped off overnight en route and the heavens opened with torrential rain. In the morning, after closing tailgate I heard the electric lock trying to close as if door was open so I re-opened/closed tailgate and drove off. Halfway across Ranch Moor and in driving rain, the electric lock intermittently started to try and close itself whilst the dash board display kept showing up that tailgate was open. I stopped a couple of times and checked but the door was closed. Phoned garage who suggested I called VW breakdown to check-out as they said motor could burn out. By the time I got to Fort William and met the breakdown guy, I had totally taped up the lens with insulating tape, the sun had come out, there were droplets of water running out of the rear door facia cover, however the problem seemed to have sorted itself and the AA guy reckoned that water ingress had created some sort of electrical problem. All seems fine now although lens due to be replaced under warranty this week. I assume new lens will be better design?

Ours popped too - had to buy a whole new unit too unfortunately, even though we only needed the red plastic. So if anyone ever needs just the inside bit, shout!

Me too (2014 140 manual). No idea where it came off. I've bought a replacement unit but, as others have found, it's the whole unit, not just the red plastic and it's not obvious how to install it. Any advice from those who have done it? Do I need to remove the internal door panels?

Just had mine replaced under warranty, whole unit. Don't know when it came off but no issues getting it replaced. She seemed to know it was an issue as soon as I asked.

Hi Richard, its a bit fiddly but I did mine by removing the blind hook at top of window, carefully pry out screw blank covers with a small screwdriver then unscrew the two star screws.....then if you get a thin wide scrwedriver or similar on the right hand side of your van insert your wide prytool start to pry the upper screen moulding free. Its held in tight and you can risk marking the paint as you pry...I wrapped my pry bar with a rag. Also dont push in too far as glass is close to clips. Start at the lower end of the moulding, working your way up as each clip is released. If your lucky,once one side is free, the moulding should be flexible enough to be gain access to the two lamp retaining screws. Refit is just reverse operation.

good luck. Steve

I would check out your local dealer first, ours was changed as they knew there was a problem with them

I stuck mine back on when it first came loose, but now it's gone. Got a new part, but it's the complete unit, including bulbs. Only the red lens cover actually needs replacing, but it doesn't look as though you can separate the red plastic bit from the main body. Which means getting inside the panel to replace the whole thing. Or is there an easier way?

I stuck mine back on when it first came loose, but now it's gone. Got a new part, but it's the complete unit, including bulbs. Only the red lens cover actually needs replacing, but it doesn't look as though you can separate the red plastic bit from the main body. Which means getting inside the panel to replace the whole thing. Or is there an easier way?
As far as I am aware it can only be fitted from the inside. The upper trim has to be removed. This might help.

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob...ear-lid-trim-panel-retainer-for-folding-seat/

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob...ght-rear-light-reflector-licence-plate-light/

Back