Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear door brake light

Spud

Spud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,
Anyone had trouble with the red cover popping out of brake light on top of door? We managed to put it back in, but after popping out again it's cracked. The part is a sealed unit (as it would be) but on speaking to our local service dept it apparently is a fairly common fault and is replaced under warranty. Just thought this was worth sharing.

Mine finally fell out about a month ago and cracked always a little loose but new replacement one seems much firmer fit all done under warenty

Hi,

I had the same problem back in October (High level Brake light cover | VW California Club

Dealer replaced the complete unit under warranty. If you are within the warranty period, I'd recommend the same course of action, as with mine it was causing water ingress.

Sorry to hear. Good luck

Mark

Yup, fairly common problem, mine popped two years ago.. Also suffered failure on a couple of the LEDs.

Easy replacement.

Im on my 3rd one in 8 months, they seem to pop out in one corner become seperated from the led carrier, easy enough to replace 5 screws and some very stubburn trim, which was a bit worrying as i thought i was going to snap it. The last one i ran super glue around the lens body and the led holder and its stayed in for 2 months so far:)

Mine pops out for a pastime.

I am on number 3 at present ....

"Follow Jen on her travels! The red lights by the roadside points the way"

+1 cracked and replaced under warranty

I've lost mine. noticed today. So went to Dealership in Cardiff. Explained " Have you got the parts? Sir so we can submit a warrant claim ", No I didn't fancy searching the M4 but you can if you wish!
Anyway, part now ordered, complete new assembly to be fitted on Friday when I'm free.

By the looks of it, there is nothing you can do from the exterior such as change a bulb etc: so why don't they just glue the Red lens on, or am I missing something?

Hi,
Anyone had trouble with the red cover popping out of brake light on top of door?
Today it happened to me in the car wash during the blow-dry session. Managed to pop it back but for how long?

Not long if you don't glue it on. Keep an eye on it.

It's also a weak spot for waterinfiltration , you will notice water in the area to fit the folding camperseats.....

Just noticed mine had popped out on one side, dealers tomorrow for another issue so I'll add it to the list.

We lost ours a few weeks ago whilst parked up in Southampton - other half thinks someone 'took' it as it looks as if it's been prised out!! Waiting for a replacement under warranty. If it's a known issue then I don't understand why you can't just get a replacement lens rather than having to replace the whole unit - seems a bit daft to me.

When I spoke to vw edinburgh they advised it is lugs the lens clip into that is the problem, that is why they are to replace the light unit from the inside, that way the lens will have something to clip into. Big job for them apparently since they have to strip the rear door to get access.

So if we pop our lens off and put a couple of blobs of silicone in the lug holes. Will that sort us out do you think? Has anyone already done this or are they using superglue?

We've put a couple of blobs of superglue at each side and silicon all round where the lens joins the body. Worked so far.

If my van was not just 13 months old and under warranty I would use Loctite 595 which is described as a adhesive / sealant, I think this would be much better than normal silicon. Use this stuff a lot in my workshop.

Extract from Loctite tech data sheet:

Loctite 595
8798971854878.jpg

Loctite 595 Body Repair - Seam Sealing - 1K silicone, skin over time 10 to 15 min.

Your benefits

• Bonding, sealing and protecting of components subjected to shock, constant vibration, twisting, flexing, thermal expansion and contraction
Applications

• Suitable for glass, metal, ceramics, composites and most plastics

Hi,
Anyone had trouble with the red cover popping out of brake light on top of door? We managed to put it back in, but after popping out again it's cracked. The part is a sealed unit (as it would be) but on speaking to our local service dept it apparently is a fairly common fault and is replaced under warranty. Just thought this was worth sharing.

Ours fell out over the weekend.
Phoned SMG Tonbridge who are going to pick Bernie up on Wednesday and fix the problem under warranty.

Just had the whole unit replaced under warranty, seems as others have reported this is not uncommon and is a component problem, must be costing vw.

Mine has just popped out and is somewhere on the M3 I think, 6 months old, what a pain just about to go away!

I think it must be due to the rear door closing, either vibration or pressure build up closing the tailgate with all the other doors/windows closed.

I think it must be due to the rear door closing, either vibration or pressure build up closing the tailgate with all the other doors/windows closed.

I think it is just a poor design, with the number of warranty repairs and associated cost VW must be looking to a remedy, same issue affects vans with the high level brake lights.

I think its the outer lens clips are too weak to clip to the inner part of the light, as the light is tightened up by its screws to the tailgate, it pulls the clips off its locating lugs slightly. Then falls out. I fixed mine by using two small cable ties through the outer lens and around the Base of the light. So far its held ok.

Back