Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reading recommendations....

I

Iain&Shani

VIP Member
I am currently reading- "Sugar And Spice" by Saffina Desforges. It is pretty grueling stuff but fascinating all the same. One reviewr says; "Patricia Cornwell meets Silence of the Lambs."

Apart from VW Cali stuff- what are you reading?

Finished the above. Rapidly ran out of steam!!

Now on; JoJo Moyles - "Me Before You" This is a worthy recommendation..... Guys, buy it for your partner on the 14th along with a box of tissues.
It's about a girl employed to look after a guy who was seriously injured in an accident. He wants Dignitas, she fights this. Amusing, insightful and emotional.

btw - doesn't anyone else read?

Edit...........got the title the wrong way around!! The downside of Kindle reading; you are seldom reminded of what you are actually reading!!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Have read all three and have now got my wife into them.

What? Tattoo's :rofl :rofl or reading.

CannellWalker said:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Have read all three and have now got my wife into them.

Really enjoyed the first couple but found the third dragged a little. I did read them one after another so maybe I was Steig'ed out!! Bouth the Swedish DVD set but as the subtitles were so poor I resorted to the dubbed version.......If you want t o watch these then hang out for James Bond!

Kev - watch your knuckles. They are dragging again. :bleh

How to train your dragon the full series (nothing like the film)... read them with my 8 year old, the first book he picked up and read for himself, then found myself catching up, i think there are 8/9 in the series.

Perfect humour for this age group and me :lol:

Anything by

Sebastian Faulks
Tom Sharpe
Ben Elton (!)

Most Terry Pratchett stuff

I did enjoy the Stieg Larsson series too.

I read a fair bit - boxes and boxes of old books all over the place!

If you liked ' Birdsong ' try ' Three day Road ' by Joseph Boyden , as good if not better......

BerndRos said:
If you liked ' Birdsong ' try ' Three day Road ' by Joseph Boyden , as good if not better......

Will do - I desperately need recommendations as I've run out of ideas!

KernowLad..........Get ' three day road ' WW1 Horror ' makes you want to weep. Very moving.

I use Amazon for all my recommendations.....lazy I know but it has taken me to some wonderful stuff. I also cross reference "word of mouth" material; whether it be books, film or music. Rarely have I been let down and often a bargain has been had.
Three day Road by Joseph Boyden.......£2.76 delivered.

My long time favourite American author; George Pelecanos; has his latest novel on as a Kindle loss leader + 99p

KernowLad said:
Will do - I desperately need recommendations as I've run out of ideas!

Have you tried Jasper FForde? The Thursday Next series..
or
Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently...

The Help - racial tension in Deep Soouth through eyes of black maids - humorous and chilling all at the same time.
The Room - amazing book about a girl kidnapped and kept in one room - sounds bleak but is v uplifting and is written from her son's view who lives in the room with her.

helenherbert said:
The Help - racial tension in Deep Soouth through eyes of black maids - humorous and chilling all at the same time.
The Room - amazing book about a girl kidnapped and kept in one room - sounds bleak but is v uplifting and is written from her son's view who lives in the room with her.

Read both - both good!

Cheers for other ideas - all noted!

Iain&Shani said:
"Before I Go To Sleep" SJ Watson A bit hyped at the moment but an ok read. Ridley Scott is making a movie of it.

Slightly Off Topic, but Rid has also been directing the film 'Prometheus' which is due out in June.
It looks like the start of the Alien series, but from the trailer it should be a better prequel than the Star Wars ones.

Books-wise... If you like Sci Fi I would recommend Alistair Reynolds and his Revelation Space series. As a tand alone 'The Prefect' is brilliant as part detective novel, part horror all wrapped in a futuristic setting.

I am currently going through the Aubery / Maturin books again by Patrick O'Brien, from which the film Master & Commander was made.

Back