Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

rainwater in drivers step

G

GordonBalharrie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
away this past weekend and with the heavy rain and driving winds the driver's side step overnight became full of water. Any suggestions how it got there? is it door seals? Thanks

away this past weekend and with the heavy rain and driving winds the driver's side step overnight became full of water. Any suggestions how it got there? is it door seals? Thanks
We had this on our t6.1
It was the inner door card (regulator) not being sealed properly. Possibly lost its seal after the Bowden Cable recall last year?
Anyway, it went into VW to be fixed and has been fine since.

I had same issue. It appeared that water was getting past the window seal where the seal is angled and not making a seal against the glass. A simple fix was to slide a short length of nylon cord into the groove in the seal forcing it to push against the glass……

My previous “research“…

I have recently had my door card off to see if I could identify a similar door step puddle. From what I can work out any rainwater that gets past the window seal ( and its bound to) should run down the inside of the door and out of the drain holes at the bottom of the door. However I found that some water was running down the "wrong side" of the door and appearing along the bottom of the plastic door trim. Behind the door card is an ally panel which forms the inner part of the door, onto which the window runners, speaker etc are fitted. This panel is bolted to the outer door and has a "draught excluder" seal but its not watertight so any stray water in the door can leak past it and onto the doorstep. Im still trying to work out how water is getting across to the "wrong" side.

Last edited:
Do you use a windscreen wrap that goes inside the door ? One of our previous ones wicked water past the seal.

Some water will always get into the door as the window seals are not perfectly water tight. The door is designed to tolerate this and water drains out through the drain holes in bottom of the the door. However, if the seal on the inner regulator card is compromised, then water can come into the van. It usually shows at the bottom of the plastic door card below the speaker and then accumulates in the door step area. The only permanent fix is to replace or reseal the regulator card. Mine was done under warranty.

Some water will always get into the door as the window seals are not perfectly water tight. The door is designed to tolerate this and water drains out through the drain holes in bottom of the the door. However, if the seal on the inner regulator card is compromised, then water can come into the van. It usually shows at the bottom of the plastic door card below the speaker and then accumulates in the door step area. The only permanent fix is to replace or reseal the regulator card. Mine was done under warranty.
yes really poor design i guess the main market for these vans aren't bothered about a bit of water leaking from the door card i removed the card and sealed up with sealant,it was even leaking from the speaker

Back