Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem just discovered with my '07 T5

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I can't check if there's a thread about this because I don't know what the problem is! I just noticed this today and I was planning to drive 100 miles tomorrow - now cancelled as I don't want a wheel falling off or whatever!

T5 wheel.jpg

Is it just on one wheel? It looks very much like rust from the centre of the disc bleeding through. Just take the VW cap off and have a look.

Thanks Pete - how does it come off?

Looks like the wheel hasn't been off for a long time and corrosion has set in which may result in a difficult job getting the wheel off.

Wheel not likely to 'fall' off.

Start checking as @Ozzy Pete says then spray penetrating oil in if corroded before attempting to take the wheel off.

Looks like rust from the wheel hub which is at the centre of the disc brake assembly. It’s not a driving / road worthy issue, but @B J G says, it makes changing the wheel a bit hard. It happens more often than not eventually. Recommend that you ask a tyre shop / garage to remove each wheel, and coat the hub in a high temperature molybdenum grease called Copperslip. That will stop the rust and make it easy to change your wheel should you need to. You could ask to have it done at a service?

Looks like rust from the wheel hub which is at the centre of the disc brake assembly. It’s not a driving / road worthy issue, but @B J G says, it makes changing the wheel a bit hard. It happens more often than not eventually. Recommend that you ask a tyre shop / garage to remove each wheel, and coat the hub in a high temperature molybdenum grease called Copperslip. That will stop the rust and make it easy to change your wheel should you need to. You could ask to have it done at a service?
Thanks. It's due a service timewise, but not done a lot of miles since the last one so I'm not sure what to do about that either.
I feel a bit of a fool asking these questions - I used to do all the maintenance on my bikes (motorcycles) so I know about Copperslip, but haven't done anything for years on cars, not since rallying days with a Mk1 Cortina!

Thanks. It's due a service timewise, but not done a lot of miles since the last one so I'm not sure what to do about that either.
I feel a bit of a fool asking these questions - I used to do all the maintenance on my bikes (motorcycles) so I know about Copperslip, but haven't done anything for years on cars, not since rallying days with a Mk1 Cortina!
If you have a reliable jack and a rubber mallet (to knock the wheel off) you could do it yourself. I do at the first opportunity on new cars. I haven’t done it on the Cali yet as a) I don’t have a big enough jack yet, and b) the van doesn‘t come with a spare!

It might be a good idea to have the van jacked up and spin the wheel, if that’s ok and nothing is binding and the bearings are nice and free.
Check the wheel nuts for tightness. If all these things are good I think you should be good to go.

Thanks everyone!
I can't work on it myself because a) I have no flat hard surface to park it on and b) I'm 75 and full of arthritis!
Now it's too late my daughter has reminded me that I have breakdown cover with my insurance. Not sure whether I'm covered at home though.
My son in law would have come but a family member has covid so not a good idea.
It's only a day out I'm missing but I was looking forward to seeing some supercars!

Hey. I think if you took it to Kwik Fit or similar they would do a safety check for you. Probably nothing to worry about, stop off en route.

Hey. I think if you took it to Kwik Fit or similar they would do a safety check for you. Probably nothing to worry about, stop off en route.
Thanks - I didn't go but it's gone in for a service today and they'll be looking at it. Very good local workshop I've used for years. I don't have a lot of confidence in Kwikfit.

Back