Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ignition key problem

bigmac77

bigmac77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
On Saturday (in Cardiff) I went to start our Cali but it said 'KEY NOT FOUND' cue minor heart attack, took key out put it back in the ignition vehicle started fine. Sunday, started vehicle fine again went to shops, too lunch then headed north to home, stopped on the way for a coffee in Builth Wells and wouldn't you know it Key Not Found again. This time the vehicle just wouldn't start, called VW assist they said someone from a local garage would be with us within 30 mins anyway after about 100 attempts the Cali finally started so we continued home asap without stopping.

Today took Cali to nearest dealership and they tried to recode the keys but it couldn't be done so a 'part for the dash' has been ordered. I don't know what this is but it will allegedly be fixed tomorrow, I'm stressing out, because I'm meant to be driving it to France for a weeks holiday on Thursday.

Just venting.

If this happens with all keys it could be the coil that surrounds the ignition barrel that energises the transponder in the key.

On Saturday (in Cardiff) I went to start our Cali but it said 'KEY NOT FOUND' cue minor heart attack, took key out put it back in the ignition vehicle started fine. Sunday, started vehicle fine again went to shops, too lunch then headed north to home, stopped on the way for a coffee in Builth Wells and wouldn't you know it Key Not Found again. This time the vehicle just wouldn't start, called VW assist they said someone from a local garage would be with us within 30 mins anyway after about 100 attempts the Cali finally started so we continued home asap without stopping.

Today took Cali to nearest dealership and they tried to recode the keys but it couldn't be done so a 'part for the dash' has been ordered. I don't know what this is but it will allegedly be fixed tomorrow, I'm stressing out, because I'm meant to be driving it to France for a weeks holiday on Thursday.

Just venting.
Probably Part 13

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...953/subcategory/953050/part_id/3689839/lang/e

It has affected both keys, just want it fixed. Another problem to add to the list.

Not good news , hope they will fix it , keep us posted.

Update on this problem. Thanks to Llandudno Junction the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours, they replaced the instrument cluster where apparently the part that reads/recognises the key resides. I was a little concerned to say the least as they were not 100% sure that this was either the cause or the solution and as a result I did not want to post on here saying everything was fine as I felt I would be tempting fate.

However we have just returned from a round trip to the Alps in the Cali and even though every time I put the key in the ignition I thought it would say 'Key Not Recognised', the vehicle never missed a beat and I am now happy the problem is fixed.

Good to hear this .
Hope you had a nice ski trip and the storm of the last few days did not do to much damage at home...?

Good to hear this .
Hope you had a nice ski trip and the storm of the last few days did not do to much damage at home...?
We had an excellent time thanks, we broke the journey over two days and camped in Bourg Saint Maurice on the Friday night. Next day we were in Les Arcs by 9.30am and making the most of the deserted slopes an hour later. Without the Cali we could not have done this, had we gone in the car we would have been in a hotel somewhere miles away on the Friday night and then been in traffic hell on the Saturday, I met one family who had taken 8 hours to drive there from Lyon.

Came home to a bit of damage but all fairy minor, things like caravan gutters had come off on a few units and a couple of sheds had been destroyed but nothing major. Most things are well screwed down.

Back