Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porsche Logo on Discovery Pro Android Auto

barrymw

barrymw

Vehicle
Looking to buy
20230619_091312.jpg
Our T6.1 California Beach thinks its a Porsche when you connect via Android Auto. After nearly twelve months back and forth with the dealer, they are blaming Android Auto! Given that I can connect my phone to other VW cars with the Discovery Pro unit without seeing this weirdness, I believe the head unit is dodgy. I also requested the maps to be updated as the website had a release in November 2022. They said they downloaded and tried to update but the unit already has the latest maps. From memory the maps are 20.08, which I doubt are the latest. My suggestion to the dealer is that the head unit is dodgy and is not capable of being updated. I'm in Australia (be nice), where both VW and their dealers are pretty incompetent.

Two questions:
Has anyone else seen a VW Cali trying to masquerade as a Porsche?
Is there any way of pulling the version date (YY.MM) from the downloaded map tar file?

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
View attachment 110026
Our T6.1 California Beach thinks its a Porsche when you connect via Android Auto. After nearly twelve months back and forth with the dealer, they are blaming Android Auto! Given that I can connect my phone to other VW cars with the Discovery Pro unit without seeing this weirdness, I believe the head unit is dodgy. I also requested the maps to be updated as the website had a release in November 2022. They said they downloaded and tried to update but the unit already has the latest maps. From memory the maps are 20.08, which I doubt are the latest. My suggestion to the dealer is that the head unit is dodgy and is not capable of being updated. I'm in Australia (be nice), where both VW and their dealers are pretty incompetent.

Two questions:
Has anyone else seen a VW Cali trying to masquerade as a Porsche?
Is there any way of pulling the version date (YY.MM) from the downloaded map tar file?
Yes! I haven’t really “played” with the Android Auto but this weekend thought I’d try to get to grips with it and see what it had to offer. And like you was puzzled to see the Porsche logo. AsI have Porsche (without Android Auto) I’d assumed the phone was playing silly buggers and swopping cars!
Yours is a timely post as I was about to start uninstalling/ resetting etc!

I've just picked up a VW Transporter Kombi 2020 (apologies!) and it has the same issue with showing a Porsche logo on Android auto. It also comes up named as Porsche on the Bluetooth connection list on my phone.
I don't think it had this issue before I did a factory reset to clear the previous owners data, but I can't be sure.

Did you find a fix to this issue?
Thanks!

Nothing yet. I have submitted a query to Google via the app as well, as I was also seeing the Cali listed there as a Porsche. Nothing back from Google as yet.

I have ended up calling VW Australia's contact centre and questioned them about when an update would be forthcoming. The summarised response was that VW Australia doesn't have much leverage with getting software issues resolved and are at the whim of the head office. Not a big thing, but definitely highlights that software engineering isn't a strength of Volkswagen.

Back